MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: .32 rimfire ?s

Boolit Bub

.32 rimfire ?s

Is anyone making ammo for this cal. ? Does anyone reload this brass. I know there is a company that has altered 32 centerfire cases which I have. I have a 22 rimfire loading system that works fine. I thing I can make one for the 32. Thoughts
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 01-01-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Removed the part that is against the rules

Boolit Master
    No one has made 32 RF for around 20 years. Navy Arms imported quite a bit in the late 90's early 2000's. You can successfully reload it just like the 22 LR. The cartridge adapters are easy to use also. My wife loves her Remington #4 and I load hers with bullets designed for 32 Colt.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

I have a few 32 rim fire fired empty s from shot shells your welcome too if you want but you'll have to wait till I can find them !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughguns View Post
    I have a few 32 rim fire fired empty s from shot shells your welcome too if you want but you'll have to wait till I can find them !
    I make dies for swaging 22lr and re-sizing cases, priming, crimping yadayada.
    I may be able to help. (not the whole process but maybe a swaging die or something else) But the problem is getting the cases. I looked into making a set of dies for drawing primer cups but drawing brass for cases is WAY beyond my capabilities. But there may be enough interest to talk a GOOD machinist into making the die system to make them. But with out cases you are limited to switching to center fire or machining cases with an off set primer for use in a rim fire. Stuff that I would like to work on but I have Way to many projects backed up and can't seem to get anything done these days.

Boolit Bub
    Making your own reloadable cases to use either .22 or .27s as primers is simple enough; or you can buy a kit from H&C collections in France (they ship to Canada, and last I heard they ship to the States). Best thread on making your own reloadable cases is right here on castboolits:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...re-brass/page1

Everything you ever needed to know, or didn't need to know - but still an interesting read. There are many shorter summaries out there but if ya REALLY want to drill down into it... it's all there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I make dies for swaging 22lr and re-sizing cases, priming, crimping yadayada.
    I may be able to help. (not the whole process but maybe a swaging die or something else) But the problem is getting the cases. I looked into making a set of dies for drawing primer cups but drawing brass for cases is WAY beyond my capabilities. But there may be enough interest to talk a GOOD machinist into making the die system to make them. But with out cases you are limited to switching to center fire or machining cases with an off set primer for use in a rim fire. Stuff that I would like to work on but I have Way to many projects backed up and can't seem to get anything done these days.
    Instead of drawing them one could spin them on a lathe(etc) and then head them. While metal doesn't lend it's self to mass production of them like drawing does, it isn't very expense to set up for make one personal needs.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Windsor, why go through finding empty 32 Long or Short rimfire cases or buying expensive loaded rounds?
    Just buy the Roberson Cartridge Co modified rimfire brass from center fires ... add a 6mm Flobert primer, cast your bullets, reload and go to the range
    Once fired, whether an old original case or the modified ones, your going to re-primer them and putting in a new Flobert primer is so much faster and easier
    I reload the Roberson 32 Long cases for a 1870 Stevens TipUp ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Windsor, why go through finding empty 32 Long or Short rimfire cases or buying expensive loaded rounds?
    Just buy the Roberson Cartridge Co modified rimfire brass from center fires ... add a 6mm Flobert primer, cast your bullets, reload and go to the range
    Once fired, whether an old original case or the modified ones, your going to re-primer them and putting in a new Flobert primer is so much faster and easier
    I reload the Roberson 32 Long cases for a 1870 Stevens TipUp ...
    You are right on the money here. I would, however suggest making sure the primer is the ramset variety designed for concrete nails - far more available and less expensive (and you can vary your "load" by getting different power ramset blanks).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If you use the ramset loads for both primer and propellant a Level 2 (brown) is appropriate for ballparking original velocities with a 85-90 grain heel bullet. A level 1 (white) works, just slower and quieter. Level 3 (green) can be used with caution in strong actions only, guns that were originally also sold in .32/20 such as 1885 Low wall, Rem. No. 1, 1-1/2, & 2, Stevens 44 etc. The smaller boys rifle class of guns, Stevens Favorites etc. probably best stick with Level 1 Loads.

I like the idea of using a Ramset for primer & propellant. Eliminates having to to use a powder charger and powder. After a case is fire formed, just need an Ideal Tool with decap, recap and seating/crimp on it
    Thanks for the idea .... using Ramsets.
    Regards
    John

Here is some stuff I posted on ASSRA a while back. pictures of my modified loading tool and a video link showing use. Here is the tool, made from a #3 Ideal;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020358.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	274320

Name:	P1020359.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	274321

Name:	P1020360.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	274322

Name:	P1020362.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	274323

Some of you are aware of my fondness for .32 RF single shots. I put some photos on a recent post of a tool I use that addresses the unique requirements of the re and depriming along with the other loading steps. Prompted by a couple requests for a video I managed eventually to thrash my way through all the steps to be a certified Vidiot on utube. .

https://youtu.be/cfIkET-MGdI

The "load" is a #2 Power tool blank as primer and propellant and a 299153 cast in a Ideal tong tool.

Here is what I have evolved to for 32rf reloading.
    first photo showing a modified #3 .38 Special tool and a couple punches.
    Modifications are;
    1. bullet seating die is bored out and sleeved to seat .32L ctrdges.
    2. primer seating station bored & sleeved to fit .32L
    3. bullet sizing station is converted to depriming, being bored and sleeved with a stepped ID, .385 id to step(step is .050 wide), then .320 id through. The sleeve is 1.21 oal, allowing 32XL to be deprimed.
    4. the bullet sizing punch was removed and the hole opened up to .201 (#7) and drilled through top handle. The first photo is sort of an expanded view of how the tool, case and depriming punch relate.
    The small punch with the pointed tip is to swell open the crimp to accept the depriming punch if the crimp does not open evenly.

Additional information to my previous post;
    Note the "decapping punch" has a thinned section just back from the end. This allows the crimped end of the case some place to collapse into and reduces the effort required to knock it out and saves wear and tear on the .32 case. The decapping rod is 3/16" W1 drill rod and very slightly radiused on the business end. I have found this to eliminate the rod's occasional tearing through the head of the blank.

Regarding the pockets for the primer, if you are using these longer blanks with crimped mouths, occasionally or eventually the pockets wear and the blank is not tight enough to stay in. Others have recommended Blue Loktite to retain the blanks. The drawback is it takes several hours to set up. If you want to glue them in, use Super Glue instead. The best solution in my opinion comes from Brian Issacson. Just squeeze the blank a little with the tong tool to slightly egg shape it on the .223 diameter section. It will then stay firmly in place when installed and obturate to seal upon firing. No glue needed. You can get a lot more life out of those cases by doing this.

kootne .... was thinking to find a Ideal 310 tool and then remembered that I bought the 32 long kit from the fella in France that has the same dies as the Lee Reloader. So have all the reloading dies. Then I found on eBay the Ideal 299153 mold. So, with me, have the complete capability to reload the 50 modified 32 Long cases that I bought from Roberson. Next batch of reloads will be no powder charges just the Ramsets. This will give me also the capability to reload at the range with everything needed and don’t have to bring powder.
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-31-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I have a S&W #2 army that I want to shoot but don't want to use up my small stash of original rimfire rounds. Guess I had better move this project closer to the top of the list. Next time I'm at Home Depot I'll look for ram set blanks. After that I need to find an appropriate bullet supply or mould and 32 long brass.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

elk hunter, you can buy cases reformed from .32 S&W long to .32RF Long and the correct heel bullets from "Tenmile" who advertises them on GunBroker. Search heel bullets and you will find him. Old guns like ours tend to vary quite a bit dimensionally, you will almost certainly need to trim the length quite a bit and may need to ream or thin the neck depending on your gun. There is a link in a previous post by Northwest Big bore to a thread that wrings out .32 rf loading pretty well, I'll re-insert it here. I personally would only use Level 1 Ramsets in any of those old pistols. The cylinder walls and lockup are just not very robust. Level 1's are not easy to find in my area, I have gotten them off ebay. Leading to the best kept secret in shooting at this time, you can always get those Ramsets even if every primer and pound of powder in America is on back-order.

The .32 rf thread; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...re-brass/page1