Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: barrel for Bob's boat tail on FX impact

Boolit Mold

Question barrel for Bob's boat tail on FX impact

Hi all,

I'm new here, entered this forum in my search of a matching barrel to shoot Bob's boat tail slugs out of my FX impact II .30

I already ordered the mould at NOE with the thought that I had done my research.... but then I found other info again that did not correspondent with what I thought..... so, first time ever.....I join a forum in the hope someone can enlighten me in this search as my scraping of info on the net does not offer me a clear answer...

The biggest question for me is what is the ideal twist-rate and or twist-rate range?

Also, I live in the Netherlands and I have seen that a lot of parts are not allowed anymore to be sent from the US to Europe (strange as we supposed to be allies of each other) that leafs me with the original FX STX barrel with a twist rate of 21,5 (if I remember correct) or the LW barrel with a twist rate of 16.

Of course, I will have to tune the rifle also to get more power as the Impact normally shoots with 45gr pallets and the BBT is in between 62gr (HP) and 78gr. The rifle still has reserve to power up but I have also in mind to modify:

- longer barrel (700mm instead of 600mm)
    - heavier hammer and spring (set)
    - bigger flow port

I have seen some other mods that can be done but I will start with these.

My question is mainly if someone has experience with the BBT and or can tell me about the twist rate. Of course, any tip or advice would be very appreciated!

I wish you all a beautiful new year and thank you in advance for thinking along with me!

Hello from Indiana.
    You might also want to post your question on Gateway to Airgun
    https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php
    Good luck with your rifle.

Les

Boolit Mold
    Hi Les,

Thank you! I'll do so.

The 68 gr. BBT made by NOE has a calculated minimum twist rate of 27".... I does, in fact, work great from the TJ's 26" twist barrel.... I designed it to work with that.... It is 0.375" long, and the HP version weighs 62 gr.... The NOE RG series moulds produce both types, as well as a "cup point", which is a shallow HP version, weighing in between the others....

I would suggest that if you can't get the TJ's, that you use the FX Slug liner, rather than the LW which may have too fast a twist rate.... I measured the BC at 0.077 for the FN and 0.070 for the HP, using my LabRadar....

Bob

Boolit Mold
    Hi Bob, So many thanks for your reply.

I indeed had put myself on the wrong track when I was searching for the correct answer, luckily I found out just before ordering the barrel.....

I will update my findings when I have everything together!