RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The berm after a good rain

Boolit Master

The berm after a good rain

At my range, we're not allowed to dig into the berms, but I was just there after a hard downpour. Looks like a good time to pick up a hundred pounds or so right off the top of the berms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0119[1].jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	274222

Boolit Master

around here its after a windstorm, blows all the sand away
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Nice score. I'd have a hard time to stop picking. Kind of addicting sometimes. Okay always.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Rich environment!! And its pretty clean already! “ no sir, I’m not digging in your berm, sir, I’m just rearranging your soil into a more esthetically pleasing arrangement”!! Haha!! Go for it.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

I pick up hundreds of pounds of brass already, and can't get it all. Ain't no way I'm picking up bullets too.....

Boolit Master
    After a session at my backyard range, we always pick up as much lead as we can find. AFTER a good rain, we can always find more.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    Looks like you need a rake and a shovel and several buckets and a sifter.

Kinda looks like the range my brother is a member. I went over after a range and we could have filled a dump truck. But had to settle for 5 coffee cans full.
    Still it was about 200#. It took every bit of 20 minutes. I have a 5 gallon bucket that still needs processing.

Boolit Grand Master

There is a lot of lead showing in that picture! Take lots of buckets with you.

Boolit Master
    Our berms are sand faced, but they still can get some of that same look.

My back advises me to resist the temptation, and will send a more vigorous reminder if I don't.

Boolit Master

Unfortunately I screwed up my back recently, and can barely walk today. This seems to happen to me every two or three years. A couple weeks of pain, some chiropractor visits, and it will settle down and be perfectly fine for a while, until I eventually end up doing something to set it off again. The way I am today I won't be gathering any lead anytime soon.

Boolit Master
    A new friend owns a bit of land that was a police range for something like 50 years - dirt berm.
    I go there to shoot 22 matches there frequently.

***PSA - do NOT underestimate a 70+ year old shooter with an Anschutz !!!!!! He knows how to shoot !!!!

I'm working on him to let me mine the berm - has to be TONS of lead in there !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a beautiful sight, i'm thrilled to find a couple while i'm spraying my steel back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Unfortunately I screwed up my back recently, and can barely walk today. This seems to happen to me every two or three years. A couple weeks of pain, some chiropractor visits, and it will settle down and be perfectly fine for a while, until I eventually end up doing something to set it off again. The way I am today I won't be gathering any lead anytime soon.
    I hear ya bro, I'm looking at my FOURTH lumbar surgery, and I'm going to insist on either disk replacements or a fusion. I'm tired of this BS.

Boolit Master
    And just why are you not allowed to dig?

Yeo, best time to berm mine is after a good rain. You can pick up what you like & leave the crud behind.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

When I worked at the range I would always shoot at the same bench. Firing lots of 500gr bullets from my Martini and rolling block, and 700gr bullets from my Sharps back then, a couple days a week some times, so I went through the lead quick. Every day I'd work I'd get down range before we opened an would pick of lot of them up.

Now when I shoot a couple guns that gulp lead, I'll use a 30 gallon rubbermaid container full of sand as my target holder. Dump it out when I'm done and get most of my lead back.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Its you're job as an environmentalist to remove lead waste,Melt it down and recycle it,I do it all the time....lol

Boolit Grand Master
    I love picking up the "float" lead lying on top of the berm after a rain storm.
    As soon as it dries a bit, the bobcat pushes it it all back up.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Luber View Post
    And just why are you not allowed to dig?
    Some people mess it up for everyone else. The club uses a fine gravel on the top that works well to stop bullets, or some such thing. Apparently at some point in the past someone has dug in the berms and made a big mess of it, so the rules are no digging in the berms.

I've picked up hundreds of pounds off the berms over the years. There are multiple bays and multiple berms, so it's easy to have a bay to myself, especially during a weekday. I've had people come along and wonder what I'm doing in the past, and I always say "Just picking up lead, but I'll be sure to put it back later!"

Except for the eating part, that’s as good as sitting under a loaded pecan tree! Pick away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast