WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first attempt at powder coating.....

Boolit Master

My first attempt at powder coating.....

My first attempt at powder coating was a complete failure.
    If it had been a graded school project the teacher would have been charitable to give me an F on the project.
    I've watched a bunch of videos, and read dozens of pages here. I thought I could do it blind folded. WRONG!!!
    I am using powder from Prismatic Powder. It wasn't the powder.
    I pre heated the boolits in the oven. (first mistake) I got them too hot and I instantly had a gooey mess when I dumped them in the powder. This mess then turned into a hard blob within a second or two. When trying to shake the hard blob in the plastic tub the side broke out of the tub. Hard blob hits the floor and only a couple boolits brake loose. The rest I had to brake apart by hand. I then placed them on "non stick" foil. (Second mistake) I then baked them 20 minutes and had a mess completely stuck to the "non stick" foil. I'd hate to see what regular foil would do. The only positive with this batch is they pass the hammer test. I'd post photos but they would end up in the hall of shame, and I'd be banned from Cast Boolits.

My second attempt would have earned me a solid B. I heated the boolits on top of the oven till they were no longer cold. Probably in the mid 70's range. I got a even power coat that baked to a glossy shine. It's not completely even, but I think they would shoot nicely.

I only did a hand full each batch, so I'm not out too much other than time.

Boolit Master

Well congratulations on your attempt then your success , one learns from mistakes and one who does not give up is to be admired , continue to practice and best wishes .

Boolit Mold
    I use unbleached parchment paper instead of foil.
    It's cheap and it doesn't stick

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I once had some 500 grain boolits break through the side of the container I was using. It does make a mess. It seems like you’re on the right track. Keep practicing. Don’t forget to keep your powder extremely dry. Consider some silica gel packs and use plastic bags that you can force all of the air out of before closing.

Banned
    Many of us had gotten the "glob" from too hot boolits. I use an oven set to 150° so they can't get too hot. rule of thumb IF you can't handle them barehanded they are too hot.

You will find that silicone or other non-stick bake/bbq mat work best.

Welcome to the world of PCing

My first batch of powder is on the way so I hope I have good luck. I don't expect to get it right the first time. Sounds like you're now on the right track.

You should see the first bullets I cast or the brass from the first .357 I tried to load...

Boolit Master
    If you are going to preheat you really need an accurate fast reading glass thermometer that will last. I have used a Taylor Oven Guide Thermometer for since 2012; available on Amazon about $12-$15. Occasionally a vintage Mercury "Service Man's Thermometer" pops up on ebay for around the same money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith357 View Post
    I use unbleached parchment paper instead of foil.
    It's cheap and it doesn't stick
    I started with parchment paper and almost every boolit had paper stuck to the base of it. Switched to Non-stick foil and get very little sticking (the non-stick side is the "dull" side I believe). I see posts where they think parchment sticks less....is there a "wrong-side" to the parchment paper or different types...mine was not the ticket.

I wouldn't heat the boolits unless the coverage was poor, try to PC with low humidity for your area, below 50% seems to work for me. Also, use a round container, "swirl" like crazy for 30 seconds or so, don't shake, it will just crack/break your containers and isn't needed. Have to assume you are preheating the oven prior to baking. Good tips above keeping the powder dry. Keep trying, you will get it!
    Last edited by remy3424; 12-30-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I wouldn't heat the boolits unless the coverage was poor, try to PC with low humidity for your area, below 50% seems to work for me.
    You're making a joke right?

I live in the Texas Gulf Coast where it is not unusual for the humidity to reach 100% and it's NOT raining. Right now in the dead of winter the temperature is 78F. degrees and the humidity is in the low 60's. I can turn on my garage AC and often do when I weld and want to see out of the hood. Preheating is so simple for me as I coat 6 pounds of bullets at as time in my self made PC tumbler in just a few minutes the cook several thousand at a time.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t preheat bullets and have great results. I do however preheat my oven. Different climate, Pacific Northwest, humidity in the mid 70%, but with much lower dew point. Shake n’ Bake, no bb’s, Eastwood powder, red Folgers can, wire basket. I do all the coating in a dry basement area that is adjacent to the furnace and water heater. Bullets stay around 50 to 65 degrees year round. If they got below the dew point temperature I would need to preheat. Even then it would only need to be warm to the touch, I’d use a hair dryer.

I still tumble lube 45/45/10 most pistol bullets, that will see low pressure .38 special/45 acp. I use the hair dryer for that.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't heat the boolits unless the coverage was poor, try to PC with low humidity for your area, below 50% seems to work for me. Also, use a round container, "swirl" like crazy for 30 seconds or so, don't shake, it will just crack/break your containers and isn't needed.
    Solid advice. I wouldn't worry about preheating unless there is a problem that needs to be fixed. Preheating just for the sake of it doesn't make sense to me. With the right powder and right container it shouldn't be necessary. I've done the shake and bake method in my detached garage while it was raining out and 100% humidity.

Boolit Master
    One tool you might think about is a digital thermometer with a thermocouple. Drill a hole in a coated bullet,insert the thermocouple,squeeze the bullet down on the thermocouple. Lay the thermocouple in with the bullets and no more guessing. It will tell you what your bullet temp is and that is the most important thing.Once your bullets hit the temp the mfg recommends start a timer for whatever time they recommend. Buy some extra thermocouples. You can use them to pre heat your bullets without getting them too hot. If you don't have a p.i.d. on your melting pot you can buy a probe to put in alloy and tell what your alloy temp is. Stick a thermocouple in one of your mold cavities when you pre heat it and you can tell what temp your mold is. If you buy a unit with multiple t-couples you can find out where your hot and cool spots are. I know I will get flamed by the k.i.s.s. line but I assure you there is nothing simpler. Put the t-couple in with your bullets,the t-couple wire will not interfere with the door closing.Powder coats have different hardness levels. That is if they are baked at the right temp and the right time. It doesn't seem to make much difference in pistol bullets but it will in rifle. Another option for you.
    Last edited by slide; 12-30-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I live in south west Wyoming. Very low humidity. Perhaps pre heat is not necessary in my humidity. I work in my garage and this time of year it is in the upper 30's in the garage before I turn on the heater. I'm guessing the boolits are in the low 40's by the time the garage hits 50*. I figured pre heating would help with adhesion, but I obviously heated the boolits too hot which instantly melted the powder. My second attempt I heated them till they felt warm to the touch which worked fine.

Thanks for the pointers and encouragement.

Boolit Master
    Ohio here, humidity can range from 90+ to 35 % daily. haha

Dehumidifier in basement for sake of lathe, etc.
    Below around 60 % no issues - some days I just give up - humid and phase of the moon I guess.
    Haven't pre-heated boolets, Smokes powder and plastic beads work well.

Get you some silicone baking pads !!! NO STICKING !!!!!!!
    Dirt cheap on Amazon.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Remember: NSF has TWO sides....the non-stick side and the other side! I made that mistake early on. The foil I have is dull on the non-stick side. Some are actually printed!

Since I started this coating adventure way back on late 2013, I could not count the number of ways I found to NOT make good PC'd boolits! Just keep trying and improving.

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I would not joke with someone that knows as much about this as you do. For me, in the conditions I have PCed, I have ZERO need to pre-heat the boolits. I will guess it must help with your humidity levels. I just am not going pre-heat if there is no reason to...sorry it differs from your methods....no joking here. It works for me, drive up and we can bake a batch, you will be shocked with the results!

We all have opinions and methods that work for us. I think the methods used need to be adjusted to the conditions you are working in and materials you are using, I thought that was almost a fact with all the posts here. Powder, humidity, the container, BBs, ect. Throw-out some ideas that might help someone get good results, some might help, some won't. Not everyone will need to pre-heat, so settle-down.
    Last edited by remy3424; 01-03-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    remy3424, I agree. Everyone develops loads and coating to suit there own situation. Their situation may be totally different from yours. Different guns,different weather, different everything. It is good to read the posts but you will have to develop your own ways. When somebody asks a question you get boo koo replies,this is what I do. May not work for you. You seem to have the same mind set as Bruce Lee. He looked at all things and threw out what worked and kept what did work. Good Luck!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by GasGuzzler View Post
    My first batch of powder is on the way so I hope I have good luck. I don't expect to get it right the first time. Sounds like you're now on the right track.

You should see the first bullets I cast or the brass from the first .357 I tried to load...
    I think most of us can relate to this but most won't confess their sins.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I would not joke with someone that knows as much about this as you do. For me, in the conditions I have PCed, I have ZERO need to pre-heat the boolits. I will guess it must help with your humidity levels. I just am not going pre-heat if there is no reason to...sorry it differs from your methods....no joking here. It works for me, drive up and we can bake a batch, you will be shocked with the results!

We all have opinions and methods that work for us. I think the methods used need to be adjusted to the conditions you are working in and materials you are using, I thought that was almost a fact with all the posts here. Powder, humidity, the container, BBs, ect. Throw-out some ideas that might help someone get good results, some might help, some won't. Not everyone will need to pre-heat, so settle-down.
    Just making a joke, not intending to question your methods. You have to consider myself a Native Texan from a line of Texans, we tend to "pick at" those we like. Sometimes our sense of humor is not appreciated, other than by those from Australia as they may be more warped the we are.

Occasionally, I do PC without a preheat. I just wave a finger in the air and it it doesn't come back wet, I'll give it a try.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post

I live in the Texas Gulf Coast where it is not unusual for the humidity to reach 100% and it's NOT raining. Right now in the dead of winter the temperature is 78F. degrees and the humidity is in the low 60's. I can turn on my garage AC and often do when I weld and want to see out of the hood. Preheating is so simple for me as I coat 6 pounds of bullets at as time in my self made PC tumbler in just a few minutes the cook several thousand at a time.
    I live on/by a saltwater marsh in NE Florida and my reloading area in the garage (150 feet to the water) is only served by humid air recirculation devices (HARDs), i.e. fans.

I understand some mild bullet preheating will mitigate the humidity issue, but what about moisture getting into your PC supply? And to follow-up if your powder supply does get too damp can it be dried out or saved?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast