Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts On A Gun And Cartridge For Bear Defense?

Boolit Master
    WOW!!! This discussion has gone off the reservation!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Okay, I couldn't resist it. I have an airsoft pistol that is devastating on gummy bears
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

My personal rule for self defense is I carry the largest slug flinger I will be Content with. I like a 40 something.
    For a 300# beast that will be looking to chomp on me that means a 40 something revolver that an slurp out a 300 grain FN cast at least 850 fps.
    I still prefer a RB loaded smoothbore or a repeater rifle if I know there is some real issue out there.
    My getting home means I will suffer the weight or issues needed or stay out of the woods.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Ok, little time off topic but this was too good to not share!
    Apparently, an ER doc buddy of mine has treated 2 families for severe "chemical type burns" to faces and bodies. The poor folks decided that bear spray should be applied like mosquito spray!! I can only imagine this particular doc triaging those (I've hunted in the back country with him for years)!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have been roaming the woods here in Arizona for many years, I am almost 80 and yes we have a good amount of black bear here. In all my years of hunting here (60 plus) I've never in countered one while hunting. I have seen quite a few while just driving the back roads though. I would never go hiking or hunting with anything less than a 357 or a 44. We have hand gun hunting seasons here. My brother in law and I were out north of Prescott one year just walking and shooting Jack rabbits. We were quite a few miles from the nearest house. We heard a lot of barking and that was a little strange because of the distance we were from the nearest home. We both had 357 Blackhawks. All of a sudden 5 dogs came up out of a revine and just by the way they were barking and growling we new they weren't coming to play with us. They were about 50 yards from us when they came out of the revine. We waited tell they were about 20 yards from us, they were coming pretty fast. We killed 3 of them, I guess the last two decided they had had enough and and took off for better pastures. The three we killed were two German Sheppard's and one mixed breed. Our cast boolits went all the way through front to butt DRT. It was actually quite scary and the adrenalin was running pretty high. Not a bear but it could have turned out differently if we were just hiking and didn't have a gun with us.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 01-19-2021 at 05:11 PM.

I'd give a serious look at a Stainless, 4", S&W .44Mag, and a comfortable shoulder holster.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd give a serious look at a Stainless, 4", S&W .44Mag, and a comfortable shoulder holster.
    Yes. Firing a non-expanding bullet at about 1250 fps.

Boolit Master
    44 mag is the minimal for those prviliged to get a bear defence carry permit in Ontario Canada, the black bears can be quite large in the northern part of the province.

I have hunted with handguns including the .44 magnum. I have also seen a few Alaskan bears killed. I would not rely on any handgun for them. Black bears maybe. The fellows I hunted with said to break the bear down by incapacitating the shoulders and spine. Then kill it. No handgun will do that. Those guys both carried Model 70's in .375 H&H. They were well known as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Survivor of Grizzly Bear Attack in Dupuyer, Montana Used .44 Magnum

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/sur...sed-44-magnum/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Probably an ultra light poly frame 357 snubby. That way they will have it with them instead of in the car or at home.

After personally being involved in shooting a large bore raccoon, with a .357 mag., using my hand loads loaded just below the point of near impossible extraction.....I’ll opt for something a bit more potent than a .357! The “coon” I shot was on a large limb, and was hit twice broadside, either hit would have killed him! One hit near the last rib, the other.....just behind the shoulder. After the second hit, the raccoon fell from the limb, and ran off. He went somewhere beyond 50 yards. Had this been an aggressive carnivore larger than a 20 or so pound raccoon.....I wouldn’t be typing this little story! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234