Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armed with a model 10

Boolit Bub

Armed with a model 10

Would you feel safe protecting your family with this gun? I actually have multiples of smith and wesson k frames in 38 special. Its my favorite caliber to not only shoot but reload. Both stainless and blued. Mind you I have 9mm and a 1911. But don't reload for either. Only reload for 38 special. Would you choose this gun for your home defense, camping, woods bumming, gun if you were in my situation?

Boolit Master

I certainly would not want to be on the wrong end of a .38

Boolit Master
    The .38 has had a long and distinguished career for a reason.

Boolit Grand Master

For the most part sure. If I preferred a K frame over a 1911, I would not worry about it "only" being a 38 special. I'm guessing you have some rifles and shotguns too though. If in your home, I'd choose one of them. Inside of 40 yards, nothing else comes close to the effectiveness of a shotgun.

Boolit Bub
    I do have a 30-06, bolt and semi 22 rifles, a .223 caliber coyote rifle, both a 12 and 20 guage shotgun with field barrels. So my 20 guage is the shortest at 20 plus inches. But my go to firearms are a semi automatic marlin 795 with a luepold 4x scope and a smith and wesson model 10 revolver. These are the only two guns I shoot anymore. Am I wrong in relying on the 38 revolver for my sidearm?

Boolit Buddy
    A 5” S&W Model 10-5 M&P with 158gr HP +P, a speedloader with the same, and a Streamlight have been on my nightstand when I go to bed for a couple of decades now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Overalls87 View Post
    Am I wrong in relying on the 38 revolver for my sidearm?
    Not at all, but I'd consider that 20 gauge with some buckshot as your primary home gun.

Boolit Master
    38 revolver to fight your way back to your 20 ga.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

My Dad had one in and on His bedside table from when I can remember anything, until the day he died.

I keep one too. My Girls never have to think about it. POINT and SHOOT.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    Relied on a Mod 10 for years of patrol & SWAT work. If you are good with it and feel natural with it, you would be hard pressed to do better. Much of the decision depends on your confidence with it. Of course, ammo selection is critical. ... and there is a great deal to the notion of needing your .38 to fight your way back to where your long gun is kept. Best of luck.

Boolit Master

Armed with a model 10

Revolvers are the original point and click device and the 38 has been protecting soldiers, police, and citizens all over the world for a long long time. As stated by others, there is nothing wrong with this weapon as a defense weapon and if your comfortable and proficient with it it means a heap more than a few more grains of weight or extra bullet diameter.

Only reason the shotgun is a better choice is the spread means a larger field of damage as opposed to one round. Once upon a time you could buy 38, 45s (ACP or Colt), 44s and who know what else with bird shot (#8?) loaded into the casing, not sure those kinds are still around but they do the trick for soft tissue. Grandpa used to load 45 colts this way with a cardboard wad at each end of the shot and a heavy crimp to hold the wad on the top. They made short work of Texas critters.

Also, nice thing is that most sizes of shot will not pass through plaster/drywall walls so you don’t have to worry as much about collateral damage if kids/family are in another room. Bullets can keep going if they find a soft surface to pass through and might end up where you don’t want them.

Edit: found this video showing what those 38 shotshell loads from CCI look like and how they perform.

https://youtu.be/38zJfxdPDbE
    Last edited by StuBach; 12-30-2020 at 12:09 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldnt feel under gunned with a model 10. They are a solid reliable weapon. If your confident and sure with it thats the big part.

With a good accurate load and modern ammunition its a solid performer;

Its not whats in the hand that matters its what hand its in. the best most expensive firearm isnt worth much if the person behind it cant make use of it do to poor accuracy hesitation or mind set. An accurate confident man with the right mindset any weapon is very formidable.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Revolvers are the original point and click device and the 38 has been protecting soldiers, police, and citizens all over the world for a long long time. As stated by others, there is nothing wrong with this weapon as a defense weapon and if your comfortable and proficient with it it means a heap more than a few more grains of weight or extra bullet diameter.

Only reason the shotgun is a better choice is the spread means a larger field of damage as opposed to one round. Once upon a time you could buy 38, 45s (ACP or Colt), 44s and who know what else with bird shot (#8?) loaded into the casing, not sure those kinds are still around but they do the trick for soft tissue. Grandpa used to load 45 colts this way with a cardboard wad at each end of the shot and a heavy crimp to hold the wad on the top. They made short work of Texas critters.

Also, nice thing is that most sizes of shot will not pass through plaster/drywall walls so you don’t have to worry as much about collateral damage if kids/family are in another room. Bullets can keep going if they find a soft surface to pass through and might end up where you don’t want them.

Edit: found this video showing what those 38 shotshell loads from CCI look like and how they perform.

https://youtu.be/38zJfxdPDbE
    I would definitely NOT choose any kind of bird shot for this. A shotgun is better than a handgun in every way except compactness. Even the 20 gauge, you can choose a number of loads, but 3 buck or 2 buck are about the most common. You are looking at around 12 to 24 balls of .270" or .250" diameter, leaving the muzzle at 1100, up to about 1300 fps. So while smaller than 38 special, they are moving much faster. Can you imagine getting hit with two dozen 38 specials simultaneously? Of course there is a little bit of spread for forgiveness, but inside of 10 yards it is basically a fist size pattern. The big thing is that it is in a gun designed from the ground up to be used instinctively on moving targets. It takes very little practice with a shotgun compared to a handgun to be as good, and you will never make up for that firepower.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I would definitely NOT choose any kind of bird shot for this. A shotgun is better than a handgun in every way except compactness. Even the 20 gauge, you can choose a number of loads, but 3 buck or 2 buck are about the most common. You are looking at around 12 to 24 balls of .270" or .250" diameter, leaving the muzzle at 1100, up to about 1300 fps. So while smaller than 38 special, they are moving much faster. Can you imagine getting hit with two dozen 38 specials simultaneously? Of course there is a little bit of spread for forgiveness, but inside of 10 yards it is basically a fist size pattern. The big thing is that it is in a gun designed from the ground up to be used instinctively on moving targets. It takes very little practice with a shotgun compared to a handgun to be as good, and you will never make up for that firepower.
    Sound advice. I use low recoil 12ga buckshot loads in the shotgun. Buy a beater barrel for one of your shotguns and hacksaw it off to 18 1/4 inches. Much more effective than a pistol. Buy or load up some buckshot shells. The big downside of a shotgun is the potential hearing damage when fired indoors. If you have a set of electronic hearing protectors, staging them by the gun is a good idea. They can also be turned up so you can better hear what the intruder is up to and where he is.

I certainly would not feel helpless with a .38, but why not use something better if you have it?
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Pistol wise it doesn't matter what caliber you're using as long as you have good ammo in it and you practice with it. My wife has two S&W .38s and an Ithaca 20g and I have zero qualms about her relying on them. Most of the time my .357s are loaded with warm .38s.

Police in Germany were issued .32 and .380 Walthers for many years. Pretty underpowered by today's standards, but they worked. Don't get caught up in the caliber game, just do what works for you and your family and practice practice practice.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master

I sometimes keep a Combat or Target Materpiece loaded with 148gr WC next to my bed. Certainly feel safe with one and I'd carry it with no problem, too.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned

The police and military used them for 30 years. Thats enough said right there.

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with either the Model 10 revolver or the 38 Special cartridge. I like full power wadcutters in mine.

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2011...rge-wadcutter/

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 12-30-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the 70's when 'survival' knives were all the rage I read a column in one of the outdoor mags about them. After reviewing the features of several he ended with - learn to use your pocket knife. When you really need it the survival knife will be in your drawer and your pocket knife will be in your pocket - that is your survival knife.

Likewise the gun you practice with and have available will be what comes to hand naturally when you need it. .38, .45. or .22 - all have been and will be used for critical use applications simply because they were available. Used effectively they are all adequate. Don't worry about caliber, worry about practice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Shoot placement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast