Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Armed with a model 10

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    No - a Model 10 is much too new. I do consider my S & W M & P (pre-cursor to the Model 10) to be more than adequate - mine was born the same year I was so that's probably why I trust it so much. LOL

They are a great revolver - great shooters and have been depended on for years. To illustrate how much I think of my M & P - I once owned a beautiful 4" Colt Python - got it at a great price and wanted to have the "Python Experience". Everyone likes different things and I know that some worship the Python - I just didn't care for it. If I was going to carry on the farm for critters, etc. - I always picked up my M & P every time - it just felt better to me. I ended up selling the Python to someone who really enjoys it. My old Smith may be old like I am, have some good old honest wear from the holster and not be "the latest thing" - but she's a great shooter. If I were to run across a nice Model 10 at a decent price, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

A K frame is a great revolver and IMHO, the 38 special is a great all around cartridge that's fun to reload, fun to shoot and it will get the job done - I dispatched many critters on the farm with it over the years.

Boolit Master

I carried one for many years. Qualified with it many, many times. Great weapon, great reliability. I also carried a Colt Detective Special, new model, first pistol I ever owned. We made 3 ball loads as first up, for close quarter encounters.
    Last edited by gbrown; 12-30-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I was issued an 4-inch M10 in 1970 when I was commissioned a federal agent. I carried it until 1987 when the agency went to Glock 17s or 19s; I chose the 19.

My nightstand gun is a 2-inch M10 loaded with 125 grain JHPs. Tactically, a handgun makes sense because if you are awakened in the night, a revolver can be used one handed until you get to the shotgun or sks or AR.

Adam

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by navyvet View Post
    Shoot placement.
    yup a 500 linebaugh is a poor self defense gun if you miss. A 22lr to the brain bucket will stop any man.

Unless what I am protecting myself and my family from is a grizzly or polar bear, I would feel very safe with a S&W M10.

Boolit Buddy
    I carry a 3” m64 or 3” M10 almost everyday, otherwise it’s a M60, all stoked with +P 125gr JHP. In my wife’s bedside table or in her truck (can’t carry in the office) is a M65 with the same +P 125 JHP.

We really like the FIXED SIGHT K-frames around here, loaded with good ammo they are excellent choices. We carry Winchester 125gr JHP +P because I got a lot of it yrs back. I have/do carry 170gr Keith’s and full-snort wadcutters from time-2-time. I’ve had/have 2”, 3”, 4 & 5” models but much prefer the 3”, fallowed very closely by the 2 then the 4inch.

Also beside the bed is a Mossberg 500 20ga with TL-Racker light and #4 buck...
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

It's pretty much unanimous, overalls87. Mod. 10 in .38 Spec. is a good choice.

DG

Boolit Master
    I've never seen a 3 inch M 10, now I need one ! I love my 4,5 and 6 inch models.

While I was typing this I was interrupted by a phone call, seems I just won a Ruger 10-22 from an American Legion gun raffle, first gun I've ever won !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    The police and military used them for 30 years. Thats enough said right there.
    I'm pretty sure the police were using them for over 85 years. They first came out in the late 1800s and I bet there were cops on the street carrying them at least into the 80s and maybe even longer than that. A few years ago I even saw an El Paso officer with a cartridge belt and a wheel gun in his holster, still serving. And about 10-11 years ago I dated a young lady whose father was a Chicago officer, and he still regularly carried a revolver, as he'd been on the beat since the 1980s. He had qualified with autos, but he continued, almost always, to carry his revolver even into the 21st Century.

There is nothing wrong with a Model 10 for home defense. They will still be serving in another 100 years.

My 6" with 148 wadcutters is a laser in my hands, and my oldest daughter can use it to good effect as well. The only real downside in my opinion on the model 10 is capacity. But I regularly use mine for woods bumming or heading to the mailbox. It is my favorite gun to wear when I'm just dinking around in the shop or the garden.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master

Borrowing a line from a pathologist concerning autopsies , It is not what you start with but where it ends up.
    I also read that one shot to the abdomen or head stops about 95% of all attacks regardless of caliber.
    Practice and shot placement

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    The police and military used them for 30 years. Thats enough said right there.
    More like 80+ years (pre Model 10). They are fine and will do the job at hand.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Super Moderator

I have a blued 3" Model 10 on the nightstand at all times, and my wife's car gun is a 2" nickel plated Model 10. I never had a second thought about them not being "up to the task".
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 12-30-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Banned
    Growing up in the '70s in Detroit I heard a tale from a downtown gun shop owner that a DPD Detective on the stand in a felony case summarized a victorious gunfight with and I quote: "All his jive with his .45 couldn't beat me shootin' straight with my .38."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Overalls87 View Post
    Am I wrong in relying on the 38 revolver for my sidearm?
    NO, you are not. I did exactly that for decades (M67) until someone offered me a stupid amount of money for it.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I wouldn't feel under gunned for 99% of situations to protect myself ,BUT if I knew ahead of time trouble was coming my way I would be inclined to strap on that 1911 you have with a few extra mags at the ready
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My 10-5 is no longer my first line home defense gun but still follows me into the woods a lot. She eats the Lee 358-158-RF over 3.2 grains Bullseye. Accurate, easy to shoot, and hits harder than you might think. I have a lovely Ruger Service Six .38 also. The military used both of these revolvers at least into the late 1980's and probably beyond. Many former servicemen told me that they were often carried by MP's and sentries. Also, my college library had a copy of the field manual for both guns, it was printed in 1985.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    I wouldn't feel undergunned with a good (mechanically, for this we don't worry about cosmetics) Model 10, or any K frame for that matter.

Having been an Armorer for a base that issued both 1911 A1's and worn out Model 10's (later Model 15's), I will say that in the unlikely event you have a stoppage, the shooter with the semi auto is more likely to be able to clear the gun and get back in the fight.

Normal circumstances I don't have any problems with a five or six shot revolver. If I think I am going to have to deal with more than two assailants at one time, I am much more likely to have a long gun in my hands than to rely on any handgun.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Overalls87 View Post
    Its my favorite caliber to not only shoot but reload.
    I think you answered your own question. The 38 special has sent many bad guys to meet their maker.

To answer the OPs question;
    Yes I would.
    I wish I had one for every room in the house.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast