Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Sizing question for multiple 44 Mags - first world problems

Boolit Bub

Sizing question for multiple 44 Mags - first world problems

I am lucky enough to own four 44 Mag revolvers. I measured the throats this morning, as I noticed some leading in one of them the other day. The average cylinder throat measurement by revolver are:

S&W 629 - 0.4295"
    Freedom Arms Model 83 - 0.430"
    Ruger Redhawk - 0.4315"
    Ruger Blackhawk - 0.433"

The bullets I am shooting are Leadheads (RIP) 255gr plainbase Keith SWC that are sized at 0.430". The Redhawk was leading up more than I would have expected, but I hadn't done any measuring prior to shooting.

I would like to shoot one bullet in all four but am thinking that I may have to use the 0.430" bullets in the Smith and the FA, and buy "gasp" jacketed bullets for the two Rugers. All of these were bought used and so I have no idea who may have done what to any of the throats.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by tominboise; 12-29-2020 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarity

Boolit Master
    I would try a .432" cast in all of those nice revolvers at first.

I have a mod 29 with .4335" throats and for some reason a soft/medium hardness .432" shoots clean and (subjectively) accurate. I reamed a 629 to .432" , a Redhawk just happens to be .432". So they all shoot .432". PC and Hi Tek.

A nice throat ream job never hurts either.

I have a few 44mgs. 7 m29s, 1 Ruger SBH and a Marlin 1894. You may find leading caused by bullet alloy more than sizing. I shoot .429” in everything. Even the Marlin that is suppose to need .430” + bullets. It clover leafs at 60yds.

Boolit Master
    Slugging the barrels would be a good start.

Then you know better about your throats,what size they should be in the perfect world. My 629 V-Comp has a .430 groove diameter and the throats were originally .4285...

Boolit Buddy
    Without changing anything you'd be better off shooting .432" lead bullets in the two larger throated revolvers, and shoot .429-.430" jacketed bullets in the two tighter ones.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have a few 44mgs. 7 m29s, 1 Ruger SBH and a Marlin 1894. You may find leading caused by bullet alloy more than sizing. I shoot .429” in everything. Even the Marlin that is suppose to need .430” + bullets. It clover leafs at 60yds.
    Concur with Drum50.

I shot .429 sized cast bullets in all my 44 magnums over the years too....then I read a couple articles that the bullet absolutely must fit the throats for "best accuracy". I spent a lot of time and money casting, sizing and testing various sizes from .429 up through .433. Truthfully I didn't see any difference in accuracy. I did see a loss of accuracy with the .433 sized bullets in a revolver with .433 throats and a .429 groove barrel....just too much sizing down isn't good either. I've 44s with .429 - .433 throats and mostly just use .429 sized bullets with no leading (I use a good proven 50/50 lube or BAC) and as good of accuracy as i can shoot these days.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

.430" for all.

Does anyone have a clear, concise, but accurate, article on cylinder reaming?

Boolit Bub
    I am going to do some bench shooting with all 4, using the bullets I have and keep some notes on accuracy and leading, so I can build a baseline and see if I need to change anything or not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
    I am going to do some bench shooting with all 4, using the bullets I have and keep some notes on accuracy and leading, so I can build a baseline and see if I need to change anything or not.
    That is where I would start.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
    I am lucky enough to own four 44 Mag revolvers. I measured the throats this morning, as I noticed some leading in one of them the other day. The average cylinder throat measurement by revolver are:

S&W 629 - 0.4295"
    Freedom Arms Model 83 - 0.430"
    Ruger Redhawk - 0.4315"
    Ruger Blackhawk - 0.433"

The bullets I am shooting are Leadheads (RIP) 255gr plainbase Keith SWC that are sized at 0.430". The Redhawk was leading up more than I would have expected, but I hadn't done any measuring prior to shooting.

I would like to shoot one bullet in all four but am thinking that I may have to use the 0.430" bullets in the Smith and the FA, and buy "gasp" jacketed bullets for the two Rugers. All of these were bought used and so I have no idea who may have done what to any of the throats.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    If I was in your shoes, I would rent a reamer. If I did not want to ream, I would probably try .429 and .431 cast boolits.

Keep the Freedom Arms and sell the others. Problem solved.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    "Accuracy" is such a subjective thing.

My 629 became a completely different gun after throat reaming / uniforming. It now shoots all .432" bullets acceptably,even a coated GC bullet without a GC. My "acceptably" means I can hit that 75 meter bullet trap 10/10 bullets. Then we can start grouping.

I will ream some of my 357's next.

I hope Doug Guy chimes in this thread.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    Does anyone have a clear, concise, but accurate, article on cylinder reaming?
    i know this is not an answer to your question, but if you are needing cylinder work, send your cylinder to DOUG, he's here on the forum. He is a pro, and does excellent work. He fixed my S&W 629 that had .428" throats.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

I have had some commercial "hard cast" bullets that were leading somewhat. I took them and tumble lubed them in the Lee Alox, and it really did wonders. I could shoot them and no more leading in the throat of my revolver. Just sayin'.....
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    I have had some commercial "hard cast" bullets that were leading somewhat. I took them and tumble lubed them in the Lee Alox, and it really did wonders. I could shoot them and no more leading in the throat of my revolver. Just sayin'.....
    I have some Lee Alox, so I may try this. Thanks!