Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm obsessed with low power loads.........

Boolit Master

I'm obsessed with low power loads.........

I'm not really sure where this comes from. I'm a airgun enthusiast so maybe that's it.

I have been shooting reduced 30-06 loads for a while now. Started shooting 38-55 @+/- 1000fps. It's honestly the most fun I have had with a gun in a long time. Part of it is just learning something new.

I posted about doing a 327 fed in a single shot rifle not long ago. I had said the reasons for doing this would be economy and ease of reloading a small straight wall case progressively.

I'm coming to realize that as reloaders we are always trying to find the best way to do something. I load these larger case always wishing there was less capacity. Wouldn't it be nice to have the perfect capacity for light loads? That's the answer. I'm searching for the perfect cartridge to achieve what I want.

I fell much better saying it's the perfect cartridge. Talking about economy and easy to reload does not have the same warm your heart feeling.

There are a few obsticals but I'm going to make this happen.

Banned

The .30-30 is about as close to perfect if you ever want to load back up again. Something like five grains of Bullseye and a 100-110 grain bullet. You can go even lighter if you want.

Boolit Master
    I have been finding that Red Dot is also great for reduced loads and is easier to see when peering into the case with a flashlight after charging to prevent double charges.

It’s possible I may have my history completely wrong but didn’t Doug Wesson build the 357 Magnum, to use with the Ideal 360363, just for reduced loads in a straight walled cartridge?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The .30-30 is about as close to perfect if you ever want to load back up again. Something like five grains of Bullseye and a 100-110 grain bullet. You can go even lighter if you want.
    I just bought a Chaszel 30-30 barrel liner and am looking forward to putting together some of these plinker loads you mentioned for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I'm not really sure where this comes from. I'm a airgun enthusiast so maybe that's it.

I have been shooting reduced 30-06 loads for a while now. Started shooting 38-55 @+/- 1000fps. It's honestly the most fun I have had with a gun in a long time. Part of it is just learning something new.

I posted about doing a 327 fed in a single shot rifle not long ago. I had said the reasons for doing this would be economy and ease of reloading a small straight wall case progressively.

I'm coming to realize that as reloaders we are always trying to find the best way to do something. I load these larger case always wishing there was less capacity. Wouldn't it be nice to have the perfect capacity for light loads? That's the answer. I'm searching for the perfect cartridge to achieve what I want.

I fell much better saying it's the perfect cartridge. Talking about economy and easy to reload does not have the same warm your heart feeling.

There are a few obsticals but I'm going to make this happen.
    YES, YES, YES!!!

Many people do not understand. The ease of reloading means it must be a straight walled cartridge. I wound up doing that with the .38 Spl. for many years. Three rifles and four pistols...but never found an affordable accurate single shot or bolt action rifle...as I do not like shooting break open guns off the bench.

This week things came to a head. I sold some primers and investing $1500 for a used Ruger No 1 in .357 was no longer as “silly”. But I would still need to reload for it...and it made no sense. I am selling primers for $100/1000.... I doubt primers will ever drop much below $40/1000. Then add in the cost and time to cast accurate bullets, clean brass and reload. Match quality .22 pellets are $40/1000. I sold off more primers...bought a $1000 Daystate...and will buy a $600 compressor. Even during this shortage, pellets are in stock and on sale at some places,

I will never need to worry about shortages again. I will not need to wear hearing protection. The gun will shoot dime size groups at 50 yards with $40/1000 pellets. It will take out squirrels and such at 75 yards.

Not sure how much I will miss shooting a “real” gun. But I know I will not miss casting, sizing, cleaning brass or reloading....just to punch paper.
    Don Verna

Super Moderator

The 30-30 is perfect for these type of loads. I like the Lee TL314-90-SWC bullet, sized to .311 and loaded over 2.7 grains of Bullseye or 7 grains of Trail Boss. Both loads will give 900-950 FPS with outstanding accuracy. I very lightly lube with Lee Liquid Alox (LLA) and shoot them out of my Win 94 and T/C Contender. Miles of Smiles with these loads.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010195352

Boolit Master

I too love loading rifles with cast data. It's nice to go and shoot 20 rounds of 30.06. Then jump to 30/30 and run off 20 rounds. Then grab one of my milsurps and continue on. And no sore shoulder when done.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Super Moderator

For 30-06 or 308W use the same Lee TL314-90-SWC (sized to .311) and 3.2 grains of Bullseye. Same for the 7.62x54R (but size to .314), same 3.2 grain Bullseye load. You will not believe how well these little boolits shoot.

Boolit Master
    I agree about pipsqueak loads. Here is where I started.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

There used to be cartridge 'inserts' so you could shoot .32acp in a .30-06 (and maybe .308?).

If you want low power rifle cartridges then the little single shots were perfect. .32-20, Hornet, etc. Now days a light .38spl or .38-40 load is great in a rifle.

I used to make reduced loads for .38Spec. to play around with in the yard
    after I'd gotten a little tired from pumping up the .22 Benjamin.

I saved up old soap bars when they got down to about 1/2" thick.
    Then push a SPM primed case down onto them like a cookie cutter.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Mouse fart loads are a bunch of fun. I have a load for camp to be easy on the neighbors.
    For my 38spl I use 1.9gr of BE over a Lyman #358425 115gr ended up being 514fps over my crony. If the light is just right sometimes you can actually see them fly.
    **Disclaimer. This is not in a manual and one must do there own research!
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

My small hobby is to load Lyman 311016 or 311008 in any .30 calibre cartridge to shoot to the same point of aim at 25 yards as the hunting load at 100 yards, with no sight or scope adjustments. Acceptable accuracy -for me- might annoy some of you.

I absolutely love suppressed loads of any caliber in the 6-850fps range. Ridiculous how cool they are, and the reactions they evoke from anyone around is pretty fun too.

Boolit Master
    This is why I built the 22 ladybug.

Without a can it's as quiet or quieter than .22LR subsonic, with a can, it's quiet enough to shoot outside a sleeping baby's window without any fear of waking her.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    One of my favorite guns for standing practice is my 8" 32 ACP rimmed stub barrel (I made it from a chunk of an old 30-30 barrel) for my Contender.

I fabricated the brass to fit a 32 S&W long shell holder to make it easier to work with.

It does just over 1000 fps with a 55 gr 0.314" BLL coated NLG boolit (see photo) in front of 2.1 grs Titegroup and is a joy to shoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20161118_090918670.jpg  
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-29-2020 at 09:33 PM.

The 32 Miller short has quite a reputation for accuracy
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    This is why I built the 22 ladybug.

Without a can it's as quiet or quieter than .22LR subsonic, with a can, it's quiet enough to shoot outside a sleeping baby's window without any fear of waking her.
    Had to read-up on your cartridge,Tony. Soo cool!
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Boolit Master
    There is a very wide range of comment here. If I wanted 308 ballistics I would not buy a 300PRC and down load it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerman1 View Post
    Had to read-up on your cartridge,Tony. Soo cool!
    It's been a while Mark, Thanks for the compliment! How's life been?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast