RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot - MAY 29-30-31, 2009

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Waksupi: Fair warning

Sir: please note that it's a lot further from Somers to Winnemucca if you don't travel through Idaho !~! Perhaps better to start practicing now on driving with space between the pedal and the metal.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I'm thinking, if I am still unemployed (I hope NOT!), I may be able to save enough to get there this year. Gas prices will need to stay reasonable, and I would most likely car camp. But, this looks like my best shot at making it to Winnemucca. I would probably take a couple extra days going and coming, and put in job applications as I travel. Who knows?
    I'm sure no one will care if I don't shower for a week or two!
    Ric- Gas prices will be down still. The world is getting OPEC by the tail, and is realizing we can wean off them through demand, and other sources. Poor bastreeds are whining cause their cash flow is seriously getting cut into. I think that will continue.

Either I will get a room or take my travel trailer that has a shower, so either way you can use the shower in one or the other.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had forgot about my one man boycott of Idaho. I may have to travel in disguise!~
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    My sis in Bozeman has similar feeling about Idaho, in particular some city officers along U.S. 20 who cite for 2 MPH over the 20 MPH limit through their well-tended and deeply-cultivated speed trap. She isn't prone to profanity, generally speaking--but THAT subject makes her go Anglo-Saxon like no other thing on earth.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Ah yes, U.S.20 in NE Idaho

Our party's annual foray to Henry's Lake and environs has to pass through those localities,Allen.. Us flatlanders are considered legitimate prey. Plates from the great state of Ada are considered as third or fourth in potential revenue value,and that's only because every other stop on those will turn out to have a "warning ticket only" pass from someone in the command chain at their local Stakehouse.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My adventure was passing through Wallace. Sunday morning, going 55. Got stopped for speeding in a construction zone. Thing is, there was no one working there, and the speed sign was pulled off the road into the ditch, sitting sideways. I wish I had not paid that fine. Only ticket I have had in 35 years.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

On Heaven's Range

Ammohead and NVCurmudgeon came over to Winnemucca on Tuesday for a "Men's Day Out".

We had a fine old time, with a leisurely breakfast downtown to get caught up, followed by an expensive trip to Brown's True-Value Hardware for components, and then off to the range.

That's the reason for this post, because I was particularly interested in getting ammohead's reaction to his first sight of the place. In brief, he was impressed. Considering all the factors, he believes (along with Bill and I) that the new County range is much-preferable to last year's location, even with all the country charms of that place....shade, running water, etc. etc.

There are four excellent benchrests on the 100-yard range, with sufficient space to add at least six of the borrowed tables. Two similar benchrests adorn the 400-yard range, with space for a few more tables available. Shooting can be carried out at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards, all at the same time.

I think that we should NOT have "our own" spots on the firing line. Rather, we should set up personal tables along the berms on each side behind the firing point, parallel to the berms, which will keep muzzles safely away from the people on the line.

By the time of NCBS '09, there MAY be overhead canopies at some points...not definite as yet. A permanent Highways Department-type toilet is slated for construction before the end of June, but in the meantime a porta-john is already in place. A meeting-room/shaded-veranda building is also due for construction before the end of June. ( We obtained $80,000 of Pittman-Robertson funding which has to be spent by that time.)

The whole complex is only about ten minutes by paved road from downtown. As you can tell, I'm pretty-much convinced that this will be our site for the last weekend in May. This is going to be a good one, folks! Y'all realize that this is the TENTH NCBS??? Who would ever have believed it, ten years ago?

After we were done shooting, we adjourned to the bowling-alley bar for more eats and drinks. Hmmm...it was much like a condensed NCBS weekend! Talk, eat, shoot, talk, eat, shoot, eat, talk, drink (AFTER guns are cased for the day)...

I hope to see a lot of Cast Boolit members here, and especially some new faces. It's a high point in the year, for us.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Jane and I will be there. I don't know which rig I will be bringing but I will sure try to bring my farm of steel for us all to beat up on..See you all there...Walt

BruceB and all,

We are certainly looking forward to NCBS-09, between the (cobbmtmac/onceabull) clan, I believe there will be 8 of us. Probably 7 out of 8 will enjoy at least a little shooting to alot of shooting.

Of course the"talk-eat" thing will be prevalent also.

See you all there!
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Super Moderator

...............I'll be there! Got the money set aside already.

....................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    i have a gas credit card, and hotel room reservation...that means unless something terrible happens i will be there!

now i would like to venture out for some vermine control...as i have never done this.
    is this to be before/during or after....need to add a day or two to the reservations.

see ya soonnnnnnnnnn!
    (22, 223, 308...all for ratcontrol)

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Vendor Sponsor
    Mike

The best rat shooting is right now. By the time NCBS rolls around the squirrels will still be on the fields, but the alfalfa will be high enough that they are impossible to see. During the summer if you catch the field right after a cutting shooting may be possible. It's a timing thing.

ammohead

Boolit Man
    I am looking forward to being there with my youngest son. Does any trading go on at things like this? I am looking for some molds for my 8mm or 303. I can trade brass or cash. Anyway just to get out and shoot will be fun. Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Boolit Master

anyone want to shoot a mbabr in winny mucka ?

mbabr is military bolt action benchrest. stock mil rifles in issued calibers( no 22's) no sniper nor target rifles...stock as issued to the troops.
    allowed is a taller frt sight, free floating the bbl, pressure point the bbl. rework of the stock trigger. no bedding, no aftermarket triggers.

format will be simple two ten shot strings( normal is 5 strings), one for score(noramlly 3) and one for group( normally 2).
    we could add a second class for the same rifles but with up to a 4x scope.

100yds in each case. 10 shots. as much bench equpt as you want, rests, spotting scopes etc.

so who is up for it ?

nead a head count, and i will furnish targets.
    (sr21 and sr21 repair center).

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Well crud, Looks like I have had a monkeywrench thrown into my gearbox for this year. I have to go in for a knee rebuild on the 20th from what I am told and it looks like I will be down and out for a few weeks after they put me back together. The timing couldn't get any better. Jane and I were so looking forward to this years get together and enjoying everyones company again. So goes life.
    If Ammohead for some reason gets back to his place in McGill and wants to he can gather up my farm of steel and take it so you have more steel to bang away at. The offer is there anyways.
    I am just a little dissapointed about this but I hear people in Hell want ice water and they aren't gonna get it niether.
    All I can do is wish you all another fantastic meet and for the weather gods to be kind to you. We will miss the great comradery and food and playing with all our toys that goes with this gathering of the clan.
    Best wishes til next year..Walt and Jane

Banned

"People in Hell want ice water"

Ha! That was my granpa's favorite saying ...

Alas- I won't be able to attend again this year. Between starting a new business, and protecting our neigborhood from pot growers, my leisure time has disappeared.

If things keep going the way they are I may never be able to leave, or have to sell out and leave permanently..

Attendance Information

BruceB.

The cobbmtmac/onceabull clan has grown to 10. Probably 8 or 9 out of 10 will do some shooting, with half or more being Diehards. We are certainly looking forward to seeing all of you, CAN'T WAIT !!

PS.....Walt and Jane, sure sorry you can't make it this year. Did you get my 5/6/09 PM back to you, as I have not heard back from you?
    Last edited by cobbmtmac; 05-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MoldyJoe View Post
    I am looking forward to being there with my youngest son. Does any trading go on at things like this? I am looking for some molds for my 8mm or 303. I can trade brass or cash. Anyway just to get out and shoot will be fun. Joe
    I will be bringing my younger bro and his son. Holly can't make it this year.
    Mike in Co, I have nothing that would qualify as a military original to shoot except 1 Bruno in the corner that I have never shot. I am sure that there will be someone there to shoot against with one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I will be bringing my younger bro and his son. Holly can't make it this year.
    Mike in Co, I have nothing that would qualify as a military original to shoot except 1 Bruno in the corner that I have never shot. I am sure that there will be someone there to shoot against with one.
    John, I would be honored if you would shoot my near 100% 1891 Argentine Mauser infantry rifle. It is perhaps the most accurate milsurp that has ever passed through my hands.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Mold

Match in Winnamuca

Can somebody give some more info on the match in Winnamuca. I have friend that just moved up there .He might be interested in going and checking it out.Thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast