MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot - MAY 29-30-31, 2009

On Heaven's Range

Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot - MAY 29-30-31, 2009

With the publication of my 2009 work schedule, I can select the weekend which is "contained" within my once-every-month 8-day sabbatical.

Therefore, I now announce that the 2009 Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot will be held at (or near) Winnemucca on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the 29-30-31 of MAY.

In 2008 I was in the unusual position of never seeing the actual venue for the Shoot, being tied too tightly to daily hospital treatments and generally under the weather. Things have changed for 2009, both healthwise and in the availability of range space.

While I'm reasonably sure that we would be welcomed again at the site used last year, we now also have a very respectable new County range just a few miles outside town, with shooting distances to 400 yards. Depending on the number of folks attending, I think we might be accomodated on just the single "long range" range, setting up targets from 25 yards out to 400. There are two permanent benchrests on this range, and tables could be set-up on the same firing-line alignment. The way this range is built, targets at all distances can be fired-upon at the same time.

I'd like to keep the displacement of resident shooters to a minimum, but just a few steps away from the 400-yard range is a very wide 100-yard facility (with benchrests) and a pair of 50-yard ranges (one having a benchrest). All the various ranges are safe for independent operation without regard to activity on the other ranges.

It sounds like a new event or two may be in the planning; I'm thinking particularly of the "snubby match" for any handgun with barrel length of 3" or less. Discussions are already well underway on this subject, and it sure sounds like fun.

Apart from that, we will again be shooting rifle for group and score, with categories for both iron and glass sights. Handgun events for group and score will also be fired, as well as team rifle and team handgun. Additional shoots are often fired. Details will be filled in as time progresses.

Long-range rifle has finally been shot at distances worthy of the name, and is fired OFF-HAND at steel.....Ammohead has proven to be a danged tough competitor in this exercise, and one wonders if he can be beaten this year????? Five rounds from 400 yards at a smallish steel plate, hit or miss from the hind laigs, is a daunting proposition

Perhaps the early arrivals, many of whom will have seen the fine place used in '08, could inspect the new range on the Friday before the Rools Kommittee dinner and see how it compares as a venue for our Shoot. Arrangements for range use could easily be canceled if it's determined that the '08 site is better, and by the same token it imposes no particular strain on the landowner if we decide not to shoot on his place.

I'll take the required steps to assure that either site is available for our choosing.

Making reservations early is highly recommended. Fortunately, Memorial Day falls on the weekend ahead of our planned dates, but reserving several months in advance is a very good idea.

Over six months to go, and I'm already getting pumped-up about it! Keeping the priorities in mind, it's astonishing how durable and enjoyable this event has turned-out to be. Maybe the LACK of emphasis on gritted-teeth, ego-invested hairy-eyeball competition has enabled us all to relax and remember just how much pure fun is to be had from shooting and shooters. And, Lordy, do we have fun....

The priorities? That's easy... Safety, Fun & Socializing, and low-key shooting against each other.

It's worked exceedingly well for many years, now. Can we expect to see YOU????
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

Yessir

Many thanks for the early notice,and looking forward as always to fine company, shooting someone elses treasures out of reach for us in the "fixed income"class,and the great food.. Onceabull and Joy..
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Sounds like fun! You guys have a blast. I can't make it down because I've got a buffalo hunt scheduled for that weekend, but I'll be thinking about you.

For what it's worth, our local pistol club put on a Snubby Lovers Match for a number of years that was a lot of fun. The rules were that the rifled portion of the barrel could be no longer than 3" (this was so that semi-autos and revolvers could be judged on equal footing), and the gun had to be .32 caliber or larger. The format of the match was a 30-round gallery course (10 rounds each Slow-fire, Timed-fire and Rapid-fire, all on the appropriate indoor 50-foot targets), followed by 20 rounds at the B-2 half-sized silhouette target. These 20 rounds were from the ready position (muzzle vertical), or the gun in hand, resting on the table, and were random 2-second target presentations. It was great fun, and hotly contested!

Winning scores were usually between 300 and 350 points, and more than once it came down to X-count to determine the winner (I remember this clearly because I was one of the ones who lost by 1x!). Grand prize varied over the years, ranging from a certificate, to a coffee mug, to a gift certificate for a cheeseburger (the cheeseburger was very popular).
    Glen

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the heads up Bruce, I'll put it on the calender.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

With any LUCK I'll be able to attend. Thanks for a five month heads up.

FN in MT

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm THERE. Done deal.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned

Iamthere toooo....!

Boolit Buddy
    Yup, count me in. Got it marked on the calendar and will make reservations at the Santa Fe shortly. Glad we are getting around to a short gun match, belated though it may be. I can't hit much with a handgun with any barrel length, so the snub guns friendly handling is just, well, friendly. I'll have a good time losing with Linda's Detective Special, probably filled with 358477 or Cramer 158-STD round nose.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

YO BRUCE!

Thanks for the early notice. I'll be there with 1 or 2 Sons. Hopefully, Marlene and Mom will also be there. In a short while we should be able to confrim how many.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to You, Karen and Kim!

Oh! and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like we can finally make it this year - Mr. & Mrs. with a pair of snubbies!
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Vendor Sponsor
    With bells on!

Thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear that your health is doing better. How was Alberta? Any meat in the freezer? My trip to MT for elk was pretty much a bust. But I had a good time. I can come to Winnemucca well before the shoot to give the Co. site a good look over and report to the masses. The site last year was pleasant and very relaxing, but a real range close to town will have definate advantages.

As far as the long shoot goes....don't forget that Buckshot hasn't been around the last few years to give me a run for my money, and Jeremy has put it to me more than once on this contest. But thank you for the honorable mention. See you soon.

We need to start planning our rat strafing party soon. Can't wait.

ammohead

Boolit Master
    i just added it to my planner.....missed the last couple of years...but will try my best for this yr.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Buddy

Just looked at my vacation for 09 and have that time frame off. I spent two nights in Winnemucca in June while driving to and from Roseburg Or. I'll spend some time reading about your shoot. I can work this into a trip to see my new grandson.

Super Moderator

...............I'll be there in 2009, as us unemployed have time I'm looking forward to the GS Strafing safari too, if that's a possibility. However, if it comes down to making just one, NCBS will be the one I make as I've missed seeing everyone for too long.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

What is "GS Strafing safari"?

Boolit Master
    I WOULD GUESS IT REFERS TO RODENT CONTROL ON THE LOCAL FARMERS PROPERTY.

just a guess......ground squirrel.........

prairrie vermen

and i would like to contribute the pest control my self........

a 223 /ar15 that shoots sub .2, and ar10 that does even less.

would someone like to organize this ??

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Super Moderator

............Yup, GS = Ground Squirrels. BruceB's wife Karen apparently did the leg work putting it together to make the last one happen.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    I WOULD GUESS IT REFERS TO RODENT CONTROL ON THE LOCAL FARMERS PROPERTY.

just a guess......ground squirrel.........

prairrie vermen

and i would like to contribute the pest control my self........

a 223 /ar15 that shoots sub .2, and ar10 that does even less.

would someone like to organize this ??

mike in co

Whooohooo I'm right with you guys on this one. I got the squirl machine now!!

Would even be willing to come earlier for an extened pre-NCBS varmint event. I also have a FoxPro Fx3 with remote call if there be some coyote action interest by anyone.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 06-29-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Vendor Sponsor
    Usually by the time NCBS rolls around the alfalfa is too tall to see the little diggers. late march early april is ideal. Unless you time it just right to arrive after a cutting. I have found a field or two in Eureka NV also, but not at the populations we saw last spring in Paradise Valley. It makes a nice stop when I go to my house in McGill.

Coyotes are doable year round in NV. But not on the same property. Farmers with rodent infestations don't want you shooting the animals that eat them! Open range country for yodel dogs. But there is plenty of that country in the Winnemucca area too. South of town on Grass Valley Rd should be good.

Count me in for all of it! Can't wait to see you again all.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm thinking, if I am still unemployed (I hope NOT!), I may be able to save enough to get there this year. Gas prices will need to stay reasonable, and I would most likely car camp. But, this looks like my best shot at making it to Winnemucca. I would probably take a couple extra days going and coming, and put in job applications as I travel. Who knows?
    I'm sure no one will care if I don't shower for a week or two!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast