WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Profanity

Boolit Master
    One lesson I learned many years ago is that profanity is the efforts of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly. Too bad that others were not taught this lesson.

Cast Boolits Owner

****can? The software removes **** but leaves the word can. Spell it out and let the software do its job. $hitcan, shi+can, *hitcan as well as any version of any foul word you can think of will earn an infraction lickity split. Just spell it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Let me point out one exception that I ran into years ago. There really is a file that is appropriately described with a 'bad word' and always has been. That is the only example of the censor over controlling that I have found.
    Last edited by No_1; 12-30-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    One lesson I learned many years ago is that profanity is the efforts of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly. Too bad that others were not taught this lesson.
    Well ive heard our president swear. Ive heard doctors swear. Ive heard about everyone swear. Heck ive even heard preachers swear. Like i said before let the one without sin cast the first stone. You didnt do two things in my parents house. You didnt take Gods name in vain and i to this day wont do that and you didnt use the f word. Those rules apply in my house too. But walmart and other public places arent my house. Telling someone how they MUST talk is no differnt then telling a football team or a school there name is offensive or telling someone that a civil war memorial offends them. The real world is out there. Deal with it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    Tell that to any military commander/leader and prepare to receive a lesson you will never forget.

Boolit Mold
    Language of the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Browsing around on some of the other gun forums, and reading some posts of interest. Like most of you here, I enjoy the reloading, shooting, hunting posts.

But why is it, that many people that post, answer posts, or comment, have to use 4-letter words, f-bombs and vulgarity to express themselves? (Thankfully not here on this site!)

I worked all my life in coal mines, construction, and stone quarries with rough neck, redneck and hard boiled men, and have heard and used about all the descriptive language anyone can think up.

But all these men were polite, courteous, and mannerly when in meetings, with females around, or public places around others.

Today on many forums, and in the comment sections, there are rude and disrespectful mutts who can't communicate without vulgarity. When I read this trash, I am gone.

I would guess, most of these trash-talkers think that using vulgarity and f-bombs make them seem tougher or more intimidating.

Most of these types, in my estimation, are fearful little punks, who are insecure, and have to present an "image" of being a tough-guy.

Real men don't need to be vulgar to communicate or get a point across.

Just my feelings about communicating and conversing with others.

I spoke up in a meeting at work, just got tired of hearing it, always talked to people / co-workers like I would like to be talked too, my boss told me profanity was a sign of intelligence?
    Aim Small Miss Small

Boolit Master

I spent a long time in the military and Law Enforcement. Worked the oilfields as a young man. Heard every one of the words and met many who could form entire sentences using them. Was raised by parents who did not allow them in the house. Dad was an Ironworker who worked around some very rough people. Most he would say around the house was a ****(something that holds back water) or a slang form of Hades. Was called out by Mom every time he did. We were taught that "polite" people did not use those words, except in occasions where you would not offend anyone. Basically, if you couldn't speak civilly, keep your mouth shut.
    Last edited by gbrown; 12-30-2020 at 08:09 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

After chatting with another Mod we decided that it would be fair, informative, preventative, and wise to discuss one more profanity-related subject.

Who has ever heard the term "Grawlix"? I had never, in my 78 years, heard the term until lured in to the field of moderation. As of just 2 or 3 months ago, it was a "new one on me."

The most commonly offered explanation of Grawlix is symbols used in place of cuss words, and the example most often cited is the comic strip "Beetle Baily," where Sarge becomes infuriated at Beetle and starts cussing. But instead of cuss words the text is a string of meaningless symbols found on the top row of your keyboard by depressing the shift key, symbols such as @$%&! meant to replace or disguise bad language. No, you don't "gotcha me", 'cause I'm not using it to hide anything, just as an example of what it looks like!

It is a Cast Boolits policy that Grawlix is not permitted, as this falls under the "No bad language at anytime" rule. This is sometimes a toughie to enforce fairly, as the reader has to use his imaginationas to what the writer means. On the other hand, the writer has intent to indicate bad language. Really, it is another software censor feature avoidance. Use of Grawlix will usually result in a warning or infraction.......so that's another thing to avoid.

No one likes to be told that what they've written or said (or done) is wrong. Everyone has an EGO, some larger than others, and egos are often easily bruised. Some get smacked and just roll with the punch, others develop a long-lasting resentment, and still others become so offended at being corrected that they say goodbye to the Forum. Some of those who can not adjust to the correction offered have the Forum say goodbye to them. Most of us just happily continue to associate with our forum friends with point noted, and future problems avoided.

DG

That was my Official Duty post. Now, my regular, ordinary, just another member-type post, this is a very interesting thread.

So many who have commented have confessed that on the job, under certain circumstances, etc., that they are confirmed cussers. The "My House, My Rules" thing has been brought up several times. So, I just want to say that although I regard you all as good guys and brothers in the world of casting, shooting, and guns, if you actually come to my house to visit and start cussing you'll be asked to leave. Avoid the embarrassment. Kind of the same thing here, No. 1's house, avoid being embarrassed.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    ****can? The software removes **** but leaves the word can. Spell it out and let the software do its job. $hitcan, shi+can, *hitcan as well as any version of any foul word you can think of will earn an infraction lickity split. Just spell it out.
    I don't know, but I think "lickity split" should be added to the list

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    These days many of what was Taboo, is now common everyday sayings.
    Many words no longer have the same meaning as they did in the past, and offend many people.
    Strange time we live in these days, when you are expected to know what offends others, even though it didn't in the past.
    Also, different things, might offend people in different parts of the country.
    I've also noticed those in the military, use many terms not allowed here, as part of their normal everyday language.
    I remember when I was real young, and "Sticks and stones, will............." was taught to us all the time.
    I guess it was just another lie we were told when young.
    Kind of like Santa, tooth fairy, baby stork, politicians are smart honest people, etc.............
    Would be helpful, if there were a list someplace, where we could check.

Boolit Master
    Some years ago ,the TV news aired the secret recordings of corrupt cop Sgt.'Chooky' Fowler recieving huge bundles of cash .......he said F this and F that so many times ,he was almost unable to make an understandable phrase,or coherent sentence.......Ive never heard the like of it,which includes army,construction,factories etc.,and he was a long serving copper ,.presumably dealing with the public on many ocassions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Tell that to any military commander/leader and prepare to receive a lesson you will never forget.
    I've been out a while now, but watched things get pretty politically correct over my 24 years, seems to have gotten more so. Honestly, thinking back on the conduct that was acceptable back in the day, some of the increased emphasis on professionalism isn't a bad thing, but it has gone a bit far in some circumstances.
    https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...onal-language/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't know, but I think "lickity split" should be added to the list

The granddaughter doesn't even allow the use of the idioms for swear words. With the exception of 'What the hay?'. For some reason, that one she didn't ask me what it meant or why it is used. She likes living with hard truths, so expected me to tell her the real meaning of what words meant.

I hope I ain't in trouble for this post.

Ive no problem observing the rules of a forum, as its someone else's space, but im not keen on people supporting blanket suppression of speech and ideas on the excuse of civility. They are words, possess meaning, add context and viewed vital enough by the Framers to be included in the Bill of Rights. Verbal eloquence with regard polite society is as arbitrary as anything out there, it has no worth. I know terrible people who do not curse, I know wonderful people who do, and its as useless an expectation as banning the color blue.

Some here are obviously in favor of allowing bad language in their speech, and the speech of others, but prove our point by not having to use it to state their case.

DG

Boolit Master

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP!

We're not a bunch of Puritans here, and profanity doesn't burn our ears, but there is a place for civility and respect. Refraining from profanity at times is simply a sign of respect. I'm surprised that it's such a controversial thought to some here.

I find it sad that our culture has been dragged down to the lowest common denominator. A coworker expressed dismay a while back, wondering why some people disapprove of rough language around women and children. He said that everyone uses that language, even women and children. Well, in his little world maybe they do, but not in mine. Somehow he thinks it's appropriate to force his values on me, but not vice-versa?

I'm not judging anyone for the way they talk or live their lives, but a little civility and respect is a good thing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Saw recently where someone called someone else out for using the term "Retarded" as being offensive, but if you look up the definition, to retard something is to hold it back or limit it somehow, which is exactly what a mental disability does to a person and I remember when I was young, people used it as a perfectly acceptable term for mental disability.
    I struggle with that one. I have a cousin who has Downs Syndrome, whom I love dearly. I have a soft spot for folks with Downs Syndrome and would never use the term disparagingly towards them.

But I use the term quite often to insult and denigrate behavior, actions, and people. Been trying to limit it, but it seems like it is more and more needed these days.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I learned to cuss from my peers, not any adults or my parents. I became and remain quite adept at it; but I have always possessed a location/ situation FILTER that keeps me from sounding like an ill mannered rude man. My FILTER went sorta missing after my skull/ brain injury- so I quickly learned to issue a disclaimer before conversations. Thank goodness it came back as my head healed.
    I don’t care for the forums that allow profanity, either. Not because I think I’m better; I’m not. It’s because they devolve into petty insulting arguments rather quickly. And life is too short for “such a mess”- as my mother said.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a fan of free speech but if you want to use it carelessly, ya just might get smacked with a can of twisted tea!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast