Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Profanity

Boolit Master

Profanity

Browsing around on some of the other gun forums, and reading some posts of interest. Like most of you here, I enjoy the reloading, shooting, hunting posts.

But why is it, that many people that post, answer posts, or comment, have to use 4-letter words, f-bombs and vulgarity to express themselves? (Thankfully not here on this site!)

I worked all my life in coal mines, construction, and stone quarries with rough neck, redneck and hard boiled men, and have heard and used about all the descriptive language anyone can think up.

But all these men were polite, courteous, and mannerly when in meetings, with females around, or public places around others.

Today on many forums, and in the comment sections, there are rude and disrespectful mutts who can't communicate without vulgarity. When I read this trash, I am gone.

I would guess, most of these trash-talkers think that using vulgarity and f-bombs make them seem tougher or more intimidating.

Most of these types, in my estimation, are fearful little punks, who are insecure, and have to present an "image" of being a tough-guy.

Real men don't need to be vulgar to communicate or get a point across.

Just my feelings about communicating and conversing with others.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Yet another reason I really enjoy this community.
    Cargo

It has been my experience that vulgarities take the place of intellect and lack of thought.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not"
    Thomas Jefferson

Eloquently stated and accurate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Couldn’t agree with you more. I meet more and more younger people (I’m an old geezer) who do this without thinking. They drop the bombs in ordinary conversations. I even see a good percentage of females doing it. I was buying a string trimmer at a local hardware store one day and my wife was with me. The young fellow showing me what products the store had on hand kept dropping the F-bomb just describing each model. I finally asked him to stop doing it, it wasn’t necessary for me or my wife to hear it since it didn’t add anything to our buying decision. As an after thought I called the store the next day and spoke to the owner. I asked if the employe who I dealt with was a relative of his. He said that he wasn’t. I told him about the employ’e language the night before and told him we bought the trimmer we wanted in spite of the language he was using. I mentioned that I didn’t like it, especially in the presence of my wife. He thanked me for letting him know and said he wasn’t aware of the problem and he didn’t approve of it himself. I never saw that kid again. I hope he learned a lesson he could use on his next job. FWIW, I didn’t intend to get the kid fired, but I thought the store owner (someone I knew for many years) should be aware of how his employees were representing his business.

Boolit Man

Polite, courteous, and mannerly must be learned. When you do not have intellect, thought, honor, character and respect you end up with uncouth individuals.

We as a group have the tools to easily do harm, but we do not. Some are bound by the law of man. I am bound by GOD.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Banned

Career Army and four years of all male military academy before that, I've known guys who made profanity a fine art and have to admit to having a foul mouth too, but I can also turn it off when in company where it isn't acceptable and do that on web forums where you never know who might be reading (ladies, kids).

Bottom line, it's a bad habit and one I need to work harder on never doing it, if I can shut it off in mixed company I should cut it out all the time.

I’ll admit that I’m guilty. I’m doing better though.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

I cussed like a sailor before I became a career sailor. I do my best to be aware of my surroundings but when I get comfortable the bad words flow without me thinking.

We actually had this discussion yesterday at work. I told them I am religious. I dont swear or curse or use the Lords name in vane. What comes out of my mouth is just bad manners and vulgar. It hurts people's minds. The Bible even gives examples. I still dont understand how people get confused between cuss words, curses and swearing. They aren't the same.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

The art or skill of debating has died out, a lot of people cant discuss or argue a point with out getting vulgar or nasty. I too can get nasty and vulgar with the best but chose not to. To a lot loud nasty and vulgar is seen as winning now. I tend to get quieter when arguing or debating. Yes when I have an opps smash a thumb or finger, or do something I knew better than I will swear but very seldom at other people. One thing I find interesting is most using this language rarely know what they are implying or saying with it.

By getting quieter you force people to listen to you, You can actually sometimes diffuse a situation. At the least you come out as the "reasonable" one.

In the shop or field is one thing in the house restaurant or public is another

I too am capable of letting the inner-sailor out on occasion such as when I hit my thumb with a hammer etc. 8 years in the NAVY followed by a decade in steel fab/welding sure made a habit for me. I had to go cold-Turkey and give it all up to shake the habit.

My kids (all adults with families) understand this and play the game I made up years ago where if you swear, you go downstairs and grab the dictionary, find the word you MEANT to say and share that with the group.

It has become funny and nobody gets sore, they understand now that there are a lot of alternatives to profanity.

Boolit Master

To the OP I couldn't agree more. If I notice myself cussing I try hard to stop and for the most part I'm quite successful. Now that being said I don't think I've ever felt the need to answer a post or make a comment in any forum with profanity.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

It is gratifying to see so many unsolicited comments that confirm the CB Forum's policy of "No bad language at any time." I do not have much time in as a moderator, and since profanity wasn't part of my previous membership, I had to learn the rules myself. They are not complicated, but have one peculiar quirk, which I shall explain.

Like I said, the policy is "No bad language at any time", but a Censor Feature exists in the Forum software that will screen out it's use. If you write a prohibited word such as the "F bomb" in all it's four letter badness, the Censor Feature will automatically screen it out and replace it with four asterisk....****. That is not considered a violation. But, if you attempt to get around the Censor by writing the F followed by 3 asterisk to represent the letters you are attempting to disguise it is considered an attempt to bypass the Censor and an infraction is issued. Many have been issued for this violation.

O.K.--so do not ask me to explain this reasoning, because at present I do not understand it. It's no bad language at any time, but it's o.k. if you write the bad language and it's censored out. It's not o.k. if you attempt to disguise the word yourself, which is sort of self-censorship, and have it be censored out.

Far better to express youself without profanity. Profanity really isn't descriptive about the subject, if you think about it, and run a few possible examples through your head. All it may do is to add emphasis about how you feel about a thing or subject, but lacks descriptiveness, such as blue truck, or bad engine. **** truck doesn't really tell the reader anything except that maybe you don't like it, which you could say in plain English.

I'm glad that so many are agreeable to the Forum's profanity policy. For those members who just "signed up" but didn't bother to read the rules.....well, now you know.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    Career Navy, leavened with working around farmers, construction workers and mechanics. I watch my language around ladies and children.

I don't know why, but I can say words face to face that I am uncomfortable writing. It just seems so juvenile to write and post curse words.

Although I still remember the Chaplain in boot camp (Catholic Priest who was a former F-4 pilot) coming in and stringing together about five f bombs in a row, and telling us it was just words.

I still don't feel right writing bad words.

I like coming here knowing I can show anyone a post without screening it for inappropriate language.

Robert

I think a lot of online vulgarity comes from the appearance of the speaker being anonymous. The train of thought being, if they can't find out who you are, they can't do anything about your misbehavior.
    Also, many sites/forums don't want to expend the effort required to control such poor behavior.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Browsing around on some of the other gun forums, and reading some posts of interest. Like most of you here, I enjoy the reloading, shooting, hunting posts.

But why is it, that many people that post, answer posts, or comment, have to use 4-letter words, f-bombs and vulgarity to express themselves? (Thankfully not here on this site!)

I worked all my life in coal mines, construction, and stone quarries with rough neck, redneck and hard boiled men, and have heard and used about all the descriptive language anyone can think up.

But all these men were polite, courteous, and mannerly when in meetings, with females around, or public places around others.

Today on many forums, and in the comment sections, there are rude and disrespectful mutts who can't communicate without vulgarity. When I read this trash, I am gone.

I would guess, most of these trash-talkers think that using vulgarity and f-bombs make them seem tougher or more intimidating.

Most of these types, in my estimation, are fearful little punks, who are insecure, and have to present an "image" of being a tough-guy.

Real men don't need to be vulgar to communicate or get a point across.

Just my feelings about communicating and conversing with others.

You said it well and I completely agree . Having a business of my own I'd not say anything to a cussing customer if we were alone . But if there were women or children around I called them down on it in a heartbeat . It always amazed me when people did it........both men AND women now days .
    No turning back , No turning back !

In writing you consciously have to curse or use vulgar words as your fingers and brain have to spell the word out and you think as you spell. There is no oops. Also most spelling checkers will catch them. That feature exists when replying to another's post here. The stars for letters in a sequence of text may let us adults surmise what that word is but to many youngsters or family oriented members it is not apparent and is less vulgar then the raw word.

As Hichok and others have so eloquently stated the lack of cussing or allowing cussing on Cast Boolits is refreshing in todays day and age. No_1 insists this rule be uniformly enforces and we see the benefits as you have all expressed.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

It takes an effort to change ones language. I was in the Navy years ago and learned many new words that would not normally be used in mixed company. After my two daughters were born I didn't want them learning the same language so I stopped using it. Every once in a while the old words get to the tip of my tung but I refuse to let them out.

The goal of this site is to be "family friendly", so anyone can view the forum and not have to shield their wives or children who may be looking over their shoulder. I just checked the viewership and there are 766 people viewing the forum at this moment. Of those, 192 are members, and 574 are guests, and it's anybody's guess who those guests may be. If you get curious, any member can scroll to the bottom of the main page and see who is online at the moment, along with how many members and how many guests. It varies by the minute.

It's refreshing to be able to read posts here and not have to sift through the vulgarity to see what the actual meaning is. I've been on forums in the past where that wasn't the case, and I no longer belong to those other forums.

Don't get me wrong, I swear, but not on forums. After a stint in the Marine Corps, and 26 years as a cop, I know my way around the swearing bush, but I make a conscious effort to not post anything that I may regret posting at some future date, or that I would be embarrassed to have a small child read.

I would also like to thank the vast majority of members on this forum for making it a great place to visit, and to learn. It's also a place to exchange ideas and to "talk" to like minded individuals.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    About 2004 I was standing in a checkout line in the uniform of my then-agency, and about two spots in front of me was an idiot talking full volume on his cell phone, blasting an F-bomb every other word. I spoke up with, "Dude! You're in public! There are ladies and children here!" Without looking back at me, he blew out another F-bomb aimed at me. As I reached forward past the lady between us to tap his shoulder, she raised up a number-whatever (BIG!) can of beans or something and brought it down right on his noggin. He fell like he was pole-axed. The lady looked at me and started, as if she were in trouble, and I grinned at her. The line just stepped around him until the store security guy and a bag-boy drug him over to the security office.
    Gotta love a happy ending.
    Ed <><

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast