MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Filler in 38 spl

Filler in 38 spl

Previously I had not been able to get any useful accuracy out of my Browning B92 357 mag using smokeless powder and 38 spl cases unless the bullets were paper patched and loaded way out due to the long tapered throat. Too much gas blowing past the bullet before it was able to plug the hole. Yesterday I tried some Lee tumble lube round nose 158s with good results. Accurate says 5.3 gr of #5 is a minimum load so I tried 5.0 gr, plus 1cc BPI plastic shot buffer, anticipating a boost in pressure from the filler. Bullets seated to normal 38 spl length. Loads were still subsonic out of the rifle, and held right at an inch at 50 yards, and no pressure signs at all. Offhand I could easily hit the 12 inch hanging gong at 200 yards. Finally some useful accuracy from this rifle with ammo that will also work in my revolvers! That filler can be some useful stuff if employed properly. It's been tough to find a good load that works in both the rifle and handguns, but this should do it.

Boolit Master

interesting, thanks
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Good to know! I'm filing this away...

Boolit Grand Master

Did you compare the plastic filler to others like cream of wheat?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Did you compare the plastic filler to others like cream of wheat?
    I typically use COW, and loaded up a few to test. They did pretty much the same thing. The reason I wanted the plastic filler is I plan on loading a bunch of these to use over several years and I didn't want the COW to be absorbing moisture. Otherwise if you're using them fairly soon it's a perfectly viable way to go.

Banned
    Where do you get the shot buffer?

Boolit Master
    BPI could mean Ballistic Products. They have a website.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the fiber based cylinder shaped packing peanuts over the years with good results in various calibers.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Boolit Master
    Another option in straight wall cases are card or poly wads. For a larger throat I'd go to poly wads. They also work well as a 'replacement' for gas checks.

Boolit Grand Master
    That will add $1/box to the cost. That is a 25-30% increase.

For those folks who do not clean their guns religiously, keep a eye out for any barrel build up. Never used fillers so do not know much. Also, if there is a build up, will it affect accuracy. Results from a box of test rounds may not tell the whole story. I do not clean my .38’s much...likely over 1000 rounds between cleaning.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

For those folks who do not clean their guns religiously, keep a eye out for any barrel build up. Never used fillers so do not know much. Also, if there is a build up, will it affect accuracy. Results from a box of test rounds may not tell the whole story. I do not clean my .38’s much...likely over 1000 rounds between cleaning.
    I never have used fillers in pistol rounds, but do for some things in rifles and all I use is the dacron pillow stuffing from a fabric store. I have wondered at times if it's melting plastic in the bore, but it's never seemed to be a problem, never could tell any difference between cleaning after that are regular cast bullets.

Still, I wonder. Maybe ten or 12 years ago, I started making Ed's Red and use it almost exclusively for cleaning guns. A big thing about it when I first learned of it was that the acetone component was very good for wad fouling in shotguns. If the stuff cuts plastic fouling, maybe that's why I don't see it or maybe it simply isn't an issue.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

That's why I rarely use them. But, I don't try and go cheap with my .357's either. They get full length .357 cases so no wads needed.

The only time I used wads was before I started powder coating. They allow a higher velocity without leading, kinda like a gas check but not crimped on the bullet.

Since I powder coat now that isn't needed.