WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Best tripod

Boolit Grand Master

Best tripod

Looking for a good tripod for a crony.
    Something adjustable for uneven ground.
    Stand up to gust of wind sometimes.
    I have one for a telescope, but it's not strong enough.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a made a sawhorse type stand for the sky screens on my pact 4 legs 2 rails that would fold flat 2 sockets and rails that would adjust up or down and allow for leveling. Was good and solid. used 1X4 for it One of the cheap plastic ones could be modified with sockets and rails on each end with a top to mount the screen.

A heavy duty surveyers type tripod id going to be expensive.

Another that would do pretty god would be 2 sheet music stands spaced about 2 1/2 feet apart. hinged to a 1/4 for the screens and maybe 2 longer feet on each. Add a spike to the feet on the sides to lick it down

Boolit Buddy
    I was just looking at them a few days ago on amazon, a lot of nice aluminum ones for reasonable amount of money, I searched camera tripods have not looked at reviews and bought one yet.

Boolit Master

Check pawn shops for construction survey tripods

Boolit Master

Gitzo tripods are the professional photographer’s standard. The way they’re built they compensate for any wear through tapered collet type friction sleeves rather than the flip levers on lesser tripods. They’re not inexpensive, though.

If your tripod is adequate for a telescope it should be plenty strong for a chronograph. Just hang a sandbag or one gallon jug of water from the center. It’s a great way to stabilize a tripod.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

A light camera tripod with a 10 pound weight suspended in the middle would be very stable.
    that may be an inexpensive but effective solution.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting or???

Boolit Master
    In addition to pawn shops already mentioned, check at flea markets or garage sales. I found a good sturdy tripod, all metal, legs adjust with collets and the middle height adjustment is a crank operated rack and pinion. Cost all of $5.

Boolit Master
    best tripod?
    gitzo
    there are other brands that are good some are excellent but no matter the model with gitzo your getting a top quality tool, not like bogen or some other brands where they have lots of models some complete junk and others are built well enough to be passed down from generation to generation
    manfroto used to make decent stuff, not sure about now,
    Last edited by farmbif; 12-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Master

Mounting chronograph ain't rocket science...don't overcomplicate it. I've been using the same 'plain-jane' aluminum camera tripod (from a yard sale!) with collet-adjustable legs under my Chrony(s) for over twenty years.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Went through the "tripod question" a few months back. You can't go wrong with a Manfrotto. You can use it for your camera, chronograph and as a rifle mount. Probably not the least expensive option.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just got a cheapy from Salvation Army. Drive a stake under it, and tie the tripod off to a piece of cord if it's that windy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

abunaitoo: I'd been looking for a heavy duty tripod and last month I picked up a BOG Deathgrip. Very happy with it for a firearm rest or to hold my LabRadar chrono. Gp

Boolit Master
    I've been using a manfrotto/bogen tripod for my spotting scope and chrony. Tripod is the 3221W and the head is 3130. Lowest height is 28.5" and extends to 75". I've had it for 25 (?) years and it works as good today as new. It's been in the rain and all around the US. Legs can be quick adjusted 80deg from vertical.