MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the Price of Rimfire Ammo, This Slow Single Shot....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    The best thing I've found is a chamber insert for my .30/06 that allows use of .32ACP ammo. If I'm hunting with the '06 I always have it along. I have shot many ruff and Blue grouse with it. Makes less noise than .22, more like a pellet rifle. Weighs less than ANY firearm. Cost less than $20 many years ago. Wins in every category for me.
    Seems like a dumb thing for a handloader and bullet caster to carry, an adapter to get lost and another kind of ammo. You could load up a few .30-06 cartridges with 100-110 grain cast bullets and five or six grains of pistol powder and carry those instead which would certainly be more accurate than shooting one of those adapter things. About the only way that would make sense is if your carry pistol was a .32 ACP which seems a strange thing to carry in the woods.

Boolit Buddy
    I actually have a Bronco break-down .410/.22lr combo gun. When it is disassembled it fits in, of all things, an old Army canvas semaphore flag bag along with 10 rounds of .410 and a 50 round box of .22lr.. With the good selection of modern .410 rounds, including slugs, and good quality .22 ammo, and with it's good accuracy, the gun works well for me as a pack gun, survival gun, and fun plinker. It stays in the car trunk while I'm out and about, but doesn't look like a rifle when it's in the flag bag. It is heavier than this little single shot .22, but I think more useful.
    Last edited by fgd135; 01-10-2021 at 07:15 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My pack rifle is a 19" barrel .44-40 which is 34 inches overall and weighs 4 pounds, built by John Taylor using a tiny H&R .44 Garden Gun frame and fitting an 1894S Marlin barrel chambered in .44-40. I also have the 22" cylinder-bored .410 barrel which was rechambered to take modern 3-inch shells. A useful combo.

Attachment 275130 Attachment 275131Attachment 275132
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I love a handy .22 handgun, but I’d rather have my Nylon 66 if I’m living from a back pack. I’ve killed mice to full grown cattle with it, I would take a deer with it if needed. As a kid, I’d stay gone from the house for days and provide my meals with it or fishing line and a willow limb depending on season. I too have a .44.40 carbine that I find accompanying me more often nowadays- on 2 mile walks, no pack- it weighs 7 pounds but is well balanced. I’ve developed small game round ball and shot loads for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12