Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert Eagle .44 mag

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I want either a AutoMag, Desert Eagle, Wildey, or LAR Grizzly, in either 357, 44 or 45. I really think I should get them all.
    You should

I have an AutoMag (and another on the way soon) and I'd love a Grizzly too. The Wildey I wasn't impressed by - very clunky, unlike the AutoMag.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is big, heavy, and shiney. Would work well as a club if I run out of ammo, haha.
    I have an older mark7, 44. It can be ammo picky, and you had better have a good grip on it. I've had several people try to shoot it with failure to feed due to limp wristing. Mine is very accurate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    You sure, can you provide a source? Not saying you are wrong, just want to be sure. I thought they were made by IMI. I see that they are now marked Made in the U.S.A. and Pillager MN but what work is done in the U.S.A? I guess I really don't care that much. Being imported was not a big deal just a little one.

Tim
    Try this hard to do task. Simply type in your browser:
    “Where is the Desert Eagle made”.

This is what I did to arrive at what I posted. You could call the factory if you liked and talk to them to make sure. For me, it’s not a deal breaker as to where it’s made.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 12-28-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I had one and sold it, like others have said, while it was fun to shoot it wasn't quite as accurate as either my Ruger or Smith. On the other had I bought earlier, and still own one of the first DE pistols in .357. This gun is very accurate and can really be loaded up.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Master
    Found this video:
    https://youtu.be/4G_XSEmWr1o
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    The 44 seems to be a puzzy cat in this pistol. Any members fire a 50AE with the built in compensator? How does it compare to the 44?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .50AE that I sent back for the add on compensator they offered. It’s held on by three screws into the end of the barrel. It helps, the comp part and the extra lb of steel on the end. I’m trying to upload a picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71D6DCCB-D1FF-4B74-B3F8-2D2C46CE4E5E.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	274405

Boolit Master
    Nice to know they can add it later. Do you remember what they charged?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I own two of them, one in 41 and the other in 50AE. This is not the pistol I would recommend to anyone for their first handgun or perhaps their tenth. It's unique, this is my sole justification for owning them and it didn't hurt that I found them for a really good price. It is possible to incorrectly assemble them from field stripping and they will still work although it will cause flowering on the recoil spring assembly, this will cause malfunctioning later. This is why I bought the 41 for the price I did. A few swipes with a mill file and it quickly became worth much more.

The trigger does take some getting used to, the sights can be hard to see (can be fixed with cheap fingernail polish). You can shoot cast in them using powder coating (disclaimer, make sure the coating is bonded well and not just painted on, cast them hard). I weighs 72 oz empty and physically big to boot. It can eject them right directly over your head unless you have a very firm hold, a light hold will most likely get you hit in the forehead. If you're into light charges of fast burning powder you will hate this gun. If you like to sandbag it with the magazine dug into the bag with pressure it will jam, the magazine is designed to float. If you don't reload stick with federal american eagle ammo and it will most likely work. If you do decide to shoot unprotected soft lead save yourself some time and buy an ultrasonic cleaner (this is why I got a good deal on the 50). There's a whole paragraph of negatives for a 1K+ pistol.

Once you are willing to deal with the above they are very accurate and reliable within the limits. They have a certain fun factor in their own niche. I think most of us here have certain guns that can't be justified with anything other than that.

Ebner

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ebner glocken View Post
    They have a certain fun factor in their own niche. I think most of us here have certain guns that can't be justified with anything other than that.

Ebner
    Ain't that the truth , I quit trying to justify some of my stuff along time ago

Boolit Master
    Justify? That word is not in my vocabulary when it comes to guns. A Desert Eagle would serve no earthly purpose to me other than to make me smile. But the more I research these the more inclined I am to buy one in 50AE than 44mag. Waiting to hear back from Starline when they expect the 50AE brass back in stock.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Nice to know they can add it later. Do you remember what they charged?
    I want to say it was around 200.00 but I’m not sure.

It’s not a useful handgun but I’m gonna hold on to mine for a while.

I have owned two, 44 mag and 357 mag. Both were heavy but fun to shoot. Wife liked to shoot the 357 and what a flame out of them in late afternoon. The misses had some health issues down the road they went. Never really tried sighting in but they good to 25 yards. Because they were heavy recoil was minimal even with heavy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I have not shot one but they must be great for concealed carry I see them all the time on tv and movies
    I typically open carry mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowwolfe, I bought my first one back around 1999 and then bought my second around 2012. Both in .44mag. You could hunt with one, but I’d recommend a good red dot or good pistol scope. Both of mine have the six inch barrels.

One thing is, if I want to go to the 50AE, all I have to do is buy the barrel and magazine for the 50AE and I’m all set.

I wouldn’t suggest you to shoot in low light conditions though as you’ll probably be seeing spots for awhile as the flame is quite intense. And they are picky on ammo. You need a good hot load in order for the gas system to work correctly.

My first one I had a heck of a time finding ammo that would run through it. Now I load my own, so that’s not a problem now. But I only run jacketed rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Appreciate all the information. Since I been watching these on Gunbrokers noticed they sell pretty fast. Even though I have a ton of 44 mag components decided to go with the 50 AE. Sort of like, go big or go home, lol. Besides, I can always change it to a 44 or 357 if the mood strikes.
    Today I purchased a 50AE in brushed chrome. Should be here in a week or so. Components.........that might take 2-3 months to round up.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Great choice , if I was going to get that big rascal I would go 50AE if your gonna go big GO BIG

Boolit Master

I have a very old one in 41 mag, I love it. It is not quite as accurate as my 657's but is acceptable. The recoil is really tame. I roll my own in PC cast and jacketed. I would not run bare lead bullets, but have many powder coated rounds down the tube with no issues. I have smaller guy hands, but can control and fire it.

Boolit Buddy
    Shot mine some more yesterday. It’s just a fun gun. Congrats on your purchase.

Boolit Bub
    They are fun I get excellent accuracy with my .41 Magnum using 210gr JHP with AA No.9 or H110.
    The few years that I did an some USPSA matches I'd take the Desert Eagle out for some fun once in a while. Starting 3:18 I was having issues with the gun on the first stage but after lubing it up good at 5:07 the DE is running right.

KO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast