MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Desert Eagle .44 mag

Boolit Master

Desert Eagle .44 mag

Been reading about these lately and watching some YouTube videos. Most people like and enjoy shooting them. Seems the weight and design helps tame the recoil. Thinking of buying one just for fun and maybe short range deer hunting. If you have any personal experience with one would appreciate hearing about it.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I have not shot one but they must be great for concealed carry I see them all the time on tv and movies

I've looked at them on and off over the years. Each time I remember that I have to chase brass and that cools me. So, I'm not someone "with any personal experience with one." Sorry.

The ones I've shot were accurate, but suffered from a really poor trigger next to a S&W. If you have smaller hands it's a bit of a handful and it seemed to flip more than kick next to a S&W.

Boolit Master
    Had one ages ago this is a huge,heavy pistol recoil is tamed considerately. Finding brass wasn't that hard but this isn't a pistol for cast bullets as the will foul the gas system.

Boolit Master
    A good mat of mine had one and was told never shoot cast in it, a few years before he passed he worked up a full cast load for it and I got to shoot it. I have to say it was a pleasure to shoot and recoil was way softer than my Blackhawk Hunter with &'' barrel. If only I could own one now and hunt with it as the accuracy was outstanding. Regards Stephen

I have one in 50AE. That is quite a bit different beast then a 44. Mine ejects straight over your head, recoil is substantial but pushing a 336 gr bullet at 1600 fps in a handgun can be that way. I have not shot cast in it but only because I haven't found the boolit I want for it yet. I have researched it and find that PC will likely prevent the leading of the gas system. Just use search and you will find discussions on them.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I've had the 357, 44 & 50. Very cool but for me disappointing on the accuracy side. Really tried on the 44 but at 25 yards my 6" S&W 29 would out shoot it all day.

If you want an attention getter the 50 has few equals. It is one bad hombre.

Boolit Man
    I have the .357 version currently. Living behind enemy lines in NY, when I wanted one the .357 was the only version available that was NY legal. It's probably one of my least used pistols. Mine had a spur on the feed ramp that caused me tons of headaches from the start. Once that was resolved it still is the most ammo specific gun I own. If there isn't a nice roll crimp on the lead it's gonna stovepipe every shot. Thankfully I have a wheel gun that isn't picky at all. The sites are also about useless. I would rather have a soldered BB on the slide than the black on black sites they have. I solved that by adding a leupold delta point.

In the end it does draw a crowd at the range, but other than for show it's an expensive paperweight.

Boolit Master
    I want either a AutoMag, Desert Eagle, Wildey, or LAR Grizzly, in either 357, 44 or 45. I really think I should get them all. All together they would cost about the same as my Barrett M-82A1 and cost less to shoot. The only big handgun I have is a Dan Wesson SuperMag in .357 Max. I started out preferring semiauto pistols. I now appreciate revolvers but still love semiauto's. I think the AutoMag is the most awesome pistol. Kind of like a SS Ruger MKII on steroids. I would love one in .357 AutoMag. being recoil action cast bullets would not be a problem. The LAR Grizzly is probably the best choice also recoil action and based on 1911 a wealth of knowledge on how to make it run is available. I am not a big fan of the Desert Eagle, it is Imported, rather made in the U.S.A.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I want either a AutoMag, Desert Eagle, Wildey, or LAR Grizzly, in either 357, 44 or 45. I really think I should get them all. All together they would cost about the same as my Barrett M-82A1 and cost less to shoot. The only big handgun I have is a Dan Wesson SuperMag in .357 Max. I started out preferring semiauto pistols. I now appreciate revolvers but still love semiauto's. I think the AutoMag is the most awesome pistol. Kind of like a SS Ruger MKII on steroids. I would love one in .357 AutoMag. being recoil action cast bullets would not be a problem. The LAR Grizzly is probably the best choice also recoil action and based on 1911 a wealth of knowledge on how to make it run is available. I am not a big fan of the Desert Eagle, it is Imported, rather made in the U.S.A.

Tim
    The Desert Eagle had been made in the USA since 2009.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy
    All things considered, I'd much rather have a Redhawk, Super Blackhawk or S&W 69. They're...OK. Probably the handgun equivalent to the Mossberg Shockwave, too big to be a pistol and too small to be a shotgun lol.

Make sure it fits your hand before you throw that money down.
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master
    Have a DE in 44 for about 32 years now. Shot it quite a bit in the early years. Big gun tamed the recoil. Its a big gun, barely fit my hand, if that. Shot cast thru it, before there was a warning not to. Maybe 50 rounds before I quit. Always wondered if you could shoot some cast , then jacketed, to clean out the gas system. Kind of like shooting 22's thru a 223 suppressor, then shooting 223 thru it to "blow it out". Wonder about powder coating boolits.
    Trigger is lousy, just like my 357 DE. 44 eats just about everything I tried, the 357 is picky. It will eject just fine, but feeding is iffy. When I moved here, neighbor invited me to a pistol shoot at a local range.. Only semi I had besides a 22lr was the DE. I was doing pretty good with the DE till the "boss" came out and about turned white when he saw what I was shooting. Told me I couldn't shoot that thing. Told him I was told to bring what I had and thats all I had. One fellow said "he was beating us, good thing you stopped him". The 44 was a bit tough on his targets. He didn't yell at me, just patiently explained why it wasn't allowed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    The Desert Eagle had been made in the USA since 2009.
    You sure, can you provide a source? Not saying you are wrong, just want to be sure. I thought they were made by IMI. I see that they are now marked Made in the U.S.A. and Pillager MN but what work is done in the U.S.A? I guess I really don't care that much. Being imported was not a big deal just a little one.

Tim

Boolit Master
    If I wanted just any cannon I would go with a Smith and Wesson X frame or a Magnum Research BFR but I like semi autos.

Tim

I have a SBH in 44 and a SRH in 454. The DE is fun to shoot but the other 2 are for harvesting.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Mark VII in .44 years ago. Big, shiny and fun to show off. Not practical at all and I was hit in the face with brass more than once. It is a "Movie Gun."

Later,
    Stephen

I keep a .50 AE Desert Eagle in the safe for my traveling nephew. Well built, accurate, stupid heavy,....and the first fired brass cut a gash in my forehead...so I tilted my head to finish the magazine.
    Like the FiveSeveN he also has, other folks like them but I dont.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I bought a .41 mag DE new about 25 years ago. I ordered it with Millet sights. Upgraded the trigger later (the stock one was rough and heavy). Also upgraded the grips. With 210 JHC and a full load of 296, it shoots 2" at 30 yards. I have large hands so the grip is not a problem for me. Recoil is moderate. My wife loves to shoot it. It is heavy, so concealed carry is out. With a substantial holster, field carry is good. Shooting in low light or a darkened range is a hoot. Quite the light show! If you ever get the chance, try one out. I really like mine, it lives in the "Don't sell, Don't trade" section of the safe.

Boolit Master

I have owned 3 , all in 44mag and have fired one in 357 mag , all shot well , just felt big and awkward , I shot cast in one of mine as it was what I had , never had issues with gas system , had a outers foul out unit back in that time frame to .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast