MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Finally tried the PC cool aid

Boolit Bub

Finally tried the PC cool aid

I found I've totally over thought the process but as usual, this site helped clear up so much info that I've had a fun 2 days casting for a new toy and trying the powder coat process. Only problem I ran into was turning myself partially into a smurf as the .501's broke the bottom of my canister and I was looking out the window not watching. Blow gun worked wonders. Now my father in law is scrambling trying to figure out what I did as he casts also. Gonna dangle this carrot and make it seem difficult. The wife finally got me my Cast Boolits shirt for Christmas

Thanks again Cast Boolit contributors and here is hoping for a Happy New Year!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2617.jpg  
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and daughter found out they can have pink and purple bullets and they've been after me to get geared up for it lol.

Nice job!!
    Cargo

Congratulations on a good looking boolit. The wife type person told me my next powder was to be purple. Is that smokes powder?

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. The powder is Eastwood’s. The purple didn’t coat as completely as I would have liked but for a first run, I’m not going to complain. It was the first color I tried and I may not have shaken it long enough in every damned direction I could.
    This Doesn't Suck!

Banned
    Great job for the first time out!!!

Once you tried mixing colors you'll really be down the rabbit hole. People who mix colors, find one they really really like BUT --- they keep mixing more colors. I tried over 80 (Eighty) blends

many are posted in coatings and alternatives.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Once you tried mixing colors you'll really be down the rabbit hole.
    Ohhhh fuuuudge! You may have just released the Kraken. Didn’t even think of that part of it. This could get interesting. Been worried about shooting lead through polygonal barrels and this site helped debunk that. I’ve got some catching up to do.
    This Doesn't Suck!

Boolit Master

Congrats Pb&j! It only gets easier with a few reps.

Speaking of mixing colors... My wife likes this color made from Smoke4320's Traffic Purple mixed with a touch of Jet Black. This is an RCBS mold for her 38 "bunny fart" ammo.

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Once you tried mixing colors you'll really be down the rabbit hole.
    Greetings from The Hole !

I'm waiting for a package from Smoke. Meanwhile I bought some Italian non - TGIC -powders and noticed big differences in how different colours adhere when shaken.

I then mixed some and in most cases,adhesion got much better. Like Red is bad,yellow is bad but combined they adhere fine. White is so-do,add some black and it coats good. Stuff like that.

So the rabbit hole can only get deeper...

Boolit Master
    Great job for the first time out!!!

Once you tried mixing colors you'll really be down the rabbit hole. People who mix colors, find one they really really like BUT --- they keep mixing more colors. I tried over 80 (Eighty) blends

many are posted in coatings and alternatives.
    It may not be intentional at first, but it will eventually happen. I use clear with most of my solids jist because I like the translucent look. That, and clear just seems to make everything work out great. I do have one mix I call Bloody Stool just because I can....

Some of you guys take this to another level and turn out some fantastic looking bullets. Makes me want to heat up the pot and go casting! Think I will!

Nice looking for yoour first try. They are very shootable. And down the hole he falls. My wife has Smokes Pink for her .380. She loves her little lip stick loads.

Boolit Buddy
    Well after all the publicity PC is getting, I have decided to try it. I have a Lee 457-340 F coming and it looks to be a good candidate. I already checked out Smoke's, going to get the three color trial pack..this could be addicting...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pb&j
    ...the .501's broke the bottom of my canister
    What you using those 501s in.... ?

Good for you. I started last week. Now how long will it be before I sell my LAM-II, PID, heater, punches, and dies? Not sure. Think I'll do some baking today.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    What you using those 501s in.... ?
    Had a friend that wanted to buy a Unimog and needed cash. The S&W 500 mag was too cheap to pass up. My gunsmith buddy told me he practically gave it to me. I've since gotten 3 more colors and after this last week and a half, I need a break from work so this will be a fun weekend. I thought the rabbit hole would be quiet down here but hell, there's lots of critters enjoying this new way to play with boolits. Wife is going to have atomic pink for her 357. Now I need to find molds for my other toys but stuff is hard to find everywhere.
    This Doesn't Suck!