Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Good reference for S & W revolvers

Boolit Master
    Very nice Petander looks like a great choice !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have a Ruger .45 Colt in the large .44 frame with a 7 1/2" barrel to hunt with, but a lot of gun to carry on your hip. Thinking a .38 Special would be a little lighter than .357 and maybe a little cheaper? Thank you for your comments, Tom
    Sounds like a K-frame is what you want. 357 option is there,up to you. I personally never shoot 38's in my 375's.

A 4" Mod 67 that I'm handling right now is much,much lighter and smaller than a 7 1/2" Ruger. And sort of feels even smaller - I think I found a keeper and I'll even keep the original small grips.

Shoot yours some before deciding on target grips.

It's funny how a 586 / 686 can feel so much bigger after handling a 67.

I just slugged,this one has a .357" bore, I'm lucky with the throat/bore ratio here. Forcing cone is short and still has tool marks from the factory reamer.

Wow, that looks GREAT! Most all look small compared to the Blackhawk.

Petander, you are very fortunate to have found a S&W with .3585 cylinders. All of mine, every last, one has .357 throats. I size to the cylinder (might as well) and get good accuracy but I powder coat which might be the reason I am not having any leading issues. If they go through the cylinders at bore diameter, the "bump up" factor is a great benefit to cast boolits as well. Let us know how that Mod 67 shoots. It is a beautiful revolver .
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Yes,I was suprised by the throats... and they are all the same. I have a mod 66 with throats .3575-360,for example.

I cleaned the gun and took a box of Magtech factory 158 FMJ rounds out with me , a nice 8 Fahrenheit winter day.

15 meter claybird accuracy was good,no surprises. I could tell was 2" high.

Boolit Master
    .358" MP "Keith-HP--SWC" shoots good and clean. Pretty soft PC:d alloy, 8 BHN or so.

The lands in that forcing cone on that gun look brand new. Are you having any trouble finding primers and powder in Finland.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    The lands in that forcing cone on that gun look brand new. Are you having any trouble finding primers and powder in Finland.

We make Vihtavuori powders here and at least Magtech primers are normally in stock and keep coming from Brazil.

But US made powders and primers are old stock, we are not getting new... and some things like gas checks are nowhere to be found.

Boolit Master

My favorite used K-frame .38spl is the M-15. I got a couple off GB a few years ago when there was a large group of trade ins listed by a bunch of the surplus guys. I made low-ball bids on several and won a -2 and a -3 and a M-67 that was missing the rear site.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I was able to get 'The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson' 4th addition, thru interlibrary load, didn't cost a dime! I start studing tonight. Tom

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I was able to get 'The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson' 4th addition, thru interlibrary load, didn't cost a dime! I start studing tonight. Tom
    Good.

Here is one more pic, a J-frame 63 and an X-frame 500 in my XL hand.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234