Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good reference for S & W revolvers

I'm with JoeJames on this one. A Model 15 or Model 67 is the ticket. The Model 67 being stainless requires less maintenance of course. Not that it shouldn't be treated any differently than a blued one. The Model 15 Combat Masterpiece also has a renown reputation for accuracy. I figure the Model 67 to be the same. Regarding the grip size issue you're concerned with. Factory S&W grips aren't for everyone, nor are the smaller 'service style' grips. I've been told more than a few times I have ham sized fists. There are a plethora of after market grips out there. When I hear of folks needing a large pair of grips, Bill Jordan Troopers are the first thing that come to mind. Bill Jordan could palm a basket ball. One company (Pachmayr) used to make them out of a hard plastic. It may take a while to find a set, but if they don't fill your hand? Fella, you're going to have to have a set made by Herrett's company to fit you. Sadly, there aren't many gun shows going on these days. There would be a good place to start looking and being able to actually hold a set before purchasing them.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Can someone explain why some are labeled 'pinned barrel' ? Thanks, Tom

If you look on the top of the frame on an older Smith, you notice a "pin" across the width where the barrel threads into the frame. that was the method the factory used to capture the barrel during the days of total hand fitting their revolvers. For the 38 Special you said you were wanting, the fixed sight model 10 and the adjustable sight models 14 and 15, 19,66,67 and most all S&W revolvers had the pinned barrel feature eliminated in 1982. You will see the term "pinned and recessed" when browsing for a S&W revolver and the recessed part of that term refers to the rear of the cylinder being machined to allow the entire cartridge case rim to seat fully into the cylinder.
    Last edited by murf205; 12-31-2020 at 05:57 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    VariableRecall - Thanks for your reply! I have been going back and forth on GB between m # 10 and 15(adjustable sights). I am also a little leary about buying an old revolver off GB? Glad you are happy with your purchase. Thanks for the pictures of the grips. Tom
    The only reason that I trusted the sale was that they actually managed to take multiple detailed photos of various places including the teeth on the cylinder (probably the wrong terminology.), which was a good indicator of the rest of its internals.

One thing that I was unable to see through the gunbroker listing is that the hammer nose probably was not stock. Actually, it managed to break during snap cap use and jammed the cylinder. Thank goodness that did not happen with live ammo!

Managed to find a fair gunsmith and get that fixed, but besides that it was the only issue I've had with it so far.

I went for the Model 10-5 that I have now because it had a pinned, small profile barrel and a similar set of markings and style to a Victory Model, minus the extreme value, piles of import marks, and the 4th screw, of course.

I had decided against adjustable sights since they weren't on any examples of the smaller profile barrel, and ones with target sights were a lot more expensive.

Overall I'd say I'm quite lucky that I didn't have to take a road trip across the US to find the revolver that suited my tastes for a fair price!

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions. I sincerely appreciate your help. I wish I could see and handle a couple of examples. There are a couple of model 15's on Gun Broker, but I am leery of 'taking a swing on GB. Tom

Thanks to all of you for answering my questions. I sincerely appreciate your help. I wish I could see and handle a couple of examples. There are a couple of model 15's on Gun Broker, but I am leery of 'taking a swing on GB. Tom
    I'd say you should start with a less than trustful mindset on GB. Don't deal with anyone that won't respond promptly to questions or don't provide plenty of photos of the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I'd say you should start with a less than trustful mindset on GB. Don't deal with anyone that won't respond promptly to questions or don't provide plenty of photos of the internals.
    Amen, amen, AMEN. I've begun to think that many dealers put the poorer specimens in their inventory right onto Gunbroker, since buyers can't hold the gun in their hands and inspect. And collectors are unloading their less choice pieces to fund their next purchases. I do buy old guns on Gunbroker quite often, but I assume they're going to be gunsmithing projects, and bid accordingly. Never let yourself "take mental possession" of a piece before you decide what to bid. (Car salesmen are trained to guide the mark into the "mental possession" mindset before ever discussing price. Bern there, done that.)

Not that it matters, but IMHO a stainless .357 K frame would be my choice for field carry. 4" barrel OK, 6" much better. Stainless because there WILL come a moment when keeping the sidearm clean and dry will be far down the list of priorities in camp.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Can someone explain why some are labeled 'pinned barrel' ? Thanks, Tom
    The red arrow is trying to point at the pin. Green arrow shows the chamber recess where brass rim is supported.

Mod 28. The older I get,the less I change grips or alter guns... I have a mod 14 with skinny grips as well, I enjoy shooting it, won't change for "better" grips.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6F...w?pref=2&pli=1

Jim March's treatise on checking out revolvers. All makes, including S&W. Posted ten years ago, but nothing's any different today.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Would there be any reason to avoid a clean -82-88 mod 67-1 ?

It is the "no pin" era for 67-1. Just asking...

Boolit Master

Good reference for S & W revolvers

1982, deleted the pinned barrel, if you are buying a shooter and it passes your inspection and the price suits you, go for it
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
    1982, deleted the pinned barrel, if you are buying a shooter and it passes your inspection and the price suits you, go for it
    Thanks for the reply,Pete.

Once again a thread here in Cast Boolits is becoming an enabler... I shoot quite a lot in winter and the snow gets everywhere. I only have one 38 Special chambered pistol and it's blue,mod 14 which I like a lot.

I much rather see a stainless gun get a little wet. I'm not soaking or neglecting them either but you know... a shop I frequent has just got a 67-1, I have never even handled one.

Boolit Master

Good reference for S & W revolvers

Petander, I have a model 18 that I bought at a very good price several years ago. It appeared unfired. I soon found that it had tight chambers and Winchester ammo, in particular, was difficult to eject. I shoot Federal .22 lr Auto Match in it the most and have no issues with ejection. I don't recall if there any brands other than Winchester that were hard to eject, and am pretty sure I have shot CCI std vel. Fiocchi and some others in the Model 18. It is a very accurate revolver, easily as accurate as my K-22 or Model 17.
    Last edited by AZ Pete; 01-03-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    References don’t get any better than “The Standard Catalog Of Smith And Wesson”.

Current edition is the 4th.

I envy your big hands. I’m cursed with stubby fingers, but as long as you pick something larger than a J-frame, the stocks will be more important than the frame size.

I’ve got small hand but always shoot two handed SA anyway. I have a small hoarde of S&Ws.Attachment 274605

Boolit Master
    S&W models 60 3", model 19, 66, 586 or 686. All will shoot the .38Spl. in fine fashion!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I’ve got small hand but always shoot two handed SA anyway. I have a small hoard of S&Ws.Attachment 274605
    Nice picture, Drm50! I enlarged the picture and proceeded to drool all over my keyboard for the next few minutes. Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Well here is a 67-1 and my XL hand. I went to see the gun,this thread made me do it.

This is a nice,light and balanced gun with an excellent trigger. SA is match quality. 3585 throats,passes range rod test clean, timing lock-up is still right. No excessive slack etc. anywhere,I did not measure gap or headspace but I can tell they are good.

Forcing cone looks kind of short but measures ok. Rifling looks great... and it's a 1982-88 gun...

They also had this X-frame 500,it sure IS big.

Boolit Buddy
    HC18 Flyer,

Have you thought about a 686? Larger frame, and heavier built, but the same size grip as the K-Frame.
    With the Target grips, they should fit your large hands pretty well. I purchase a new 686 a few years ago, and am pretty happy with it. The only complaint that I have is the Round Butt grip frame, makes finding grips a little harder. I ended up with a set of Altamont round butt to square conversions. Way better than the ugly rubber grips that came on it.
    Good shooting gun, and the heavier frame and newer gun allows me too shoot 357's with out the concern of damaging my older Mod 19.

Petander,

A great find my friend. It's one I would like to have. It makes perfect sense as an all around 38 Special. I have a blued Model 15 (it's brother). Enjoy it, I sure would.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast