RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irritated with LEE

Irritated with LEE

So I bought the newest edition Lee reloading manual so I would have load data for Lee molds. In the past I was
    Using my Lyman manual to find a close match to the Lee boolit. Be damned If I didnt cast, powdercoat, and install gas checks on some Lee .308 150 grain flat nose boolits today only to find the 150 grain Lee bullet is not listed in the load data for 30-30.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

The lee bullet in question is listed in the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th edition for 30-30. I can text you a picture of the data if you message me your number. Or offer you the info for the powder your interested in.

Boolit Grand Master
    I find that many, if not most, cast boolits have zero published data available. With all the custom molds available today, it is even worse.

I usually do as you, find something reasonably close and work loads up. Take anything you see on an internet forum, even this one, with a large grain of salt.

Good luck and be safe,

Robert

Boolit Master
    This is the Lee Precision from Load Data. Apologies if it's not what you are looking for (no bullet profile listed).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

That's a good thing about boolits, most of the time, you will have to work to find "the" charge for the gunpowder, gun and boolit.
    This if he takes it as something fun, he will give you a lot of shots with his gun to see which one he likes the most.
    I live in Argentina, where the gunpowders that are commonly used are not abundant. It took me almost 6 months to find a charge for my 7.65 mauser, and it gave me a lot of fun!
    I hope you have the same fun

Boolit Master
    I suggest you expand your bibliography. Over the years I, and others, have acquired a host of cast bullet load data in manuals including the Lee load data. Lyman, RCBS, and others have been publishing cast bullet data for years. If your specific bullet isn't listed, a close one is sure to be listed by weight and style. A 158gr lead bullet for a 38 Special is a 158gr lead bullet regardless of what mold it falls out of. The older manuals, once found, are chock full of useful data as well. The Lyman Cast Bullet manual is fantastic.

Boolit Buddy
    I think Lee uses data from the different company's that make powder mainly because I have never seen those powders for sale at the stores around me . to test loads them self's I have not seen any thing .

Boolit Master
    ^^^this

Lee does not generate any data on their own, even for their own bullet designs. Kinda like other mold mfgs such as Accurate Molds or NOE. Lyman is the only mold maker that I know of that goes to the trouble to generate load data for their designs.

Boolit Master
    You're spinning your wheels looking for exact load data for every bullet made; it just isn't available.

It would be virtually impossible for our loading book makers to provide data for all individual bullets, including cast, and it's neither necessary or helpful anyway. Book makers develop their data with their firearm and your's is not theirs, that difference alone means far more than the shape of any bullet.

The way it's done is we pick a bullet of similar weight and type (jacketed or cast ), find published data for it and develop our own load from there.

If you cant' find loads after a search of this site, post a topic in the "CB Loads... Your Favorite Cartridge" section also here on this site. Folks will share theirs!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Use 170gr data.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Banned
    Lee doesn't do any of its own testings, they just get published data and put it in their book.

Lyman cast #4

Banned

I got that Lee loading manual as a gift a few years ago, hands down the least used and worst load manual I own, and I own quite a few.

Lots of data out there for 150ish grain cast bullets, find something reasonably close, start with starting data and work up carefully, it's been that same game for years.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    You're spinning your wheels looking for exact load data for every bullet made; it just isn't available.

It would be virtually impossible for our loading book makers to provide data for all individual bullets, including cast, and it's neither necessary or helpful anyway. Book makers develop their data with their firearm and your's is not theirs, that difference alone means far more than the shape of any bullet.

The way it's done is we pick a bullet of similar weight and type (jacketed or cast ), find published data for it and develop our own load from there.
    I understand there isnt going to be info for every mold ever made in one place, but dang at least give load info for your own products. Its like having to look in a Chevy service manual to see how to set the timing on a Ford because ford didnt put that part in their manual.

Thank you Conditor, Thats the info I was looking for. Ill have to add that book to my list.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    I understand there isnt going to be info for every mold ever made in one place, but dang at least give load info for your own products. Its like having to look in a Chevy service manual to see how to set the timing on a Ford because ford didnt put that part in their manual.
    Why? RCBS doesn't do it. SAECO, Accurate Molds, NOE, etc don't do it.

Lee provides a compilation of load data to put in the boxes of their reloading die sets to give the reloader on a budget something to start with. It is not included with their molds since they do not do any of the testing with their designs.

I've never purchased the Lee book for that reason. Most of the information in there is available elsewhere. For casting the Lyman manuals have been the best single source of cast bullet info for decades.

Boolit Master
    In 30-30 I use 15 grains of 2400 or 10 grains of Unique with a 165 grain boolit. I match boolit weight to recommended charges and don't worry about exact boolit type.

Banned

Lee data is copied from the online data and manuals. Lee doesn't have a test lab like Lyman and others. I use the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. There is some in Hornady's manual.

I like having Lee’s book in my reloading library, it is kind of like having a rough summary of others load testing and I do use it but there reasons why reloaders have numerous loading manuals. The absolute must haves for me are Lymans Cast bullet handbook and their 50th Edition reloading manual.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierlogger View Post
    Thank you Conditor, Thats the info I was looking for. Ill have to add that book to my list.
    Put the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition at the very top of your list...it will save you a lot of irritation .
    Actually ... you can't have too many cast boolit load data manuals ... information is good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast