RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: A.C.E. 12 Ga 740 Gr HB slug

Boolit Buddy

A.C.E. 12 Ga 740 Gr HB slug

anyone still playing with these slugs? i loaded one last night with 33 grains of herco

Boolit Master

at 740 gr 1 a year may be all you want to shoot.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

USMC 77, USRA 79

amen to that HT
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Am I missing something here? the heaviest charge of Herco I see listed is 32.5 grs. under a 1 3/8 oz. payload in a 3" hull. 740 grs. is 1 5/8 oz. so considerably heavier payload so that is going to raise pressure.

Other recipes with different components, same payload of 1 3/8 oz. and lighter charges of Herco show up to 10,500 PSI.

Where did you get your load data from?

Play but play safe!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

As a side note... for those that don't want their brains rattled about with heavy recoil... Ross Seyfried wrote that his original Paradox gun shot well with 750 gr. Paradox bullet over 21.5 grs. of Unique. That should be a relatively tame load to shoot with a heavy slug. The A.C.E. 740 gr. slug should work fine with that too when tyrannosaurus stopping capability is not required..

It would be nice to find slug loading data for heavy slugs using a variety of powders using powder charges from mild to wild, especially since finding slug load data for anything over about 525 grs. is pretty scarce. Heavy birdshot data can obviously be used and reduced some for less recoil but it is not slug specific.

Just a thought.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    longbow, thanks for all your input in the post where we all bought the mold, i read it sometimes so i don't blow myself up lol

Boolit Buddy
    steel and blue dot are hard powders to find in RI right now, i seen unique i'll get it tomorrow

Boolit Buddy
    #201 in the buying post......AZBrian posted it

Boolit Buddy
    Had a chance today to shoot some loaded shells. I'll share what I did, but understand that I am very inexperienced loading slugs. I just used what I had and worked up some loads. Also, I didn't have a chrono so I can only comment on accuracy. That said, I am very happy so far.

I used some 2-3/4" hulls with 5/8" brass bottoms (tallest brass bottoms I had)
    I started with 30gr of Herco and worked up to 36gr in 2gr increments
    I put a gas seal over the powder, a 1/2" card wad over the gas seal, and the slug (turbo bell) over that. Shell was star crimped. That stack was used because... well, it put the slug in the right place for a good crimp.

I shot this out of a Remington 1100 smooth bore.
    All loads seemed to shoot equally as well as far as accuracy goes. I was able to put 3 rounds touching each other at 25 yards for each of the loads. That was all the space/distance I had today and I only have a front bead sight - I was happy with this. I should say that the holes were perfectly round so the slug was flying straight at 25 yards out of my smooth bore. Point of impact for the 36gr Herco loads was a good 2" higher, compared to the 30gr. So my feeling is that 30gr is on the low side. But if I go with Herco as the powder, I am going to need higher brass. There was no signs of overpressure with the 36gr Herco and components I used. That may be obvious to an experienced loader but I wasn't sure what to expect. With a 12S4 plastic shot wad and 1oz Lee slug, 36gr of Herco is great for me...

Anyway, that is my report, such as it is. Probably not much help. Hopefully someone else that knows what they are doing will post what their loads are.

Boolit Buddy
    thats why I posted this longbow, its great to be double checked before i go down the wrong road lol. I got a H and R ultra slugger and 4 extra ultra sluggers in case i mess one up lol id rather shoot the mossburg 500 rifled gun but the recoil might be nasty. he used a 1100 im going to stay away from semi auto's with these rounds

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Buddy
    lol if I smash the mossburg it can be replaced lol i will be wearing safty stuff using these slugs

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F37ABEC5-22B8-4D32-AD49-2F2ED46A9E03.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	274108

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C18096D-4E6F-4D9D-BFD3-29D45A17430E.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	274109

Are you planning on shooting a Striped Bass with one of these?

I caught one once on the Colorado River and it was the hardest fighting fish I ever caught... It was 16" long !, and I had to throw it back. I saw one that was 52 lbs a week later, and I could actually see shooting one that big to get it in the boat.

Good luck on your hunt for the ultimate fish blaster.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I should add that I have no idea what pressure that Unique load of Ross Seyfried's runs but since it was used in an original Paradox gun that was proofed for black powder.

If you want the magazine article it is from February 2004 Handloader Magazine. I have a copy in PDF that was sent to me by one of the members here.

I am not sure how Ross and others work up loads for shotguns unless they have pressure testing equipment. Seems to me there should be a database of slug load data using common powders. Unique seems pretty fast for such a heavy payload but then Unique is a very versatile powder. I am sure there are other powders that can be used as well but... until proven out somehow using equivalent weight shot data is the best bet I guess... at least for slugs out of normal weight range.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    fired (friend) the slug at a steel plate and missed lol, but everything looked ok lol . fired from a H and R ultra sluger. I'll load more and shoot at some paper.........he didn't aim very well lol

About those fish?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have this mold. Haven’t loaded with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk