RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Ar pistol question

Boolit Master

Ar pistol question

I am looking at buying an AR pistol in 9mm luger and was wandering if I can buy uppers of say 10 mm, 40 s&w and 45 acp to use on the same lower receiver? Do the uppers have to be the same brand as the lower? I am looking at a pistol that uses Glock style mags by the way, I really appreciate you guys helping me.

Boolit Master

Semper Fi brother; from everything by every brand I know after having played with the 9mm platform extensively is there isn’t the caliber compatibility, there just isn’t enough room in 9mm to go any bigger , and even in 10 mm you still just have a 10 mm lower, at least with the makers and platforms I’m familiar with. Picked an “interesting “ time to build , as in limited stock and ammo being magic beans but if you do your going to enjoy it. Not one single person has ever fired my 9mm ARs and didn’t have a huge smile or said “that thing sucks” .
    The above is limited to mostly glock magazine platforms there may be adaptors or some other such wiz bang to mag a standard lower multi caliber capable but not to my knowledge with running Glock sticks.

Boolit Buddy
    ATF is looking at changing the rules on AR pistols using a brace. May require registering as a short barrel rifle same as a full auto. NFA classfication.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Stern Defense makes an adapter that can take S&W MP magazines so one adapter can be used with 9mm or 40 S&W magazines. You'd just need to get two uppers. The use of an adapter frees up the lower to be used with 5.56 based rounds when needed (most likely a buffer change would be required).

https://getstern.com/mag-admp9-40-p320/

Boolit Master

I appreciate the help guys.

I went the other way years ago with dedicated .45 acp greasegun mag lowers and multiple uppers, a rifle, sbr and pistol. Don't have a .40 or a 9mm. I would agree that it’s a bad time to start on an AR pistol project. Been waiting for a cmmg rotary bcg and .45 bbl for a couple of months myself. Good luck.

Boolit Master

I put in an order for a CMMG-Banshee 200, .40S&W on Aug. 28. It's still on hold. Your project is one for which you'll need the patience of Job.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Banned

you can go to a 40 with a 9mm lower that takes glock mags but the mags are different for 45s and 10s so they wont work. Pistol cal ars a are blow back not gas operated and id dont know if id want to play with a higher pressure 10mm in one. 45s are no problem though but you will need a differnt lower

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    I put in an order for a CMMG-Banshee 200, .40S&W on Aug. 28. It's still on hold. Your project is one for which you'll need the patience of Job.
    Im jealous. Thats about the Cadillac of ar pistol cal guns. Mine is just a 4.5 inch palmetto gun i put together. Ive got a cmmg 16 inch ar in 9mm that i bought about 15 years ago. That gun runs like a glock. NEVER misses a beat but takes the colt pattern mags. If you banshee runs like that one your a lucky man. Id love a take down banshee with a binary trigger but i just dont have 1500 plus for a gun these days. Nice thing about the cmmg is they have an actual feed ramp vs a tapered throat like most. My psa gun was a challenge to get running with many bullets but i found a drop in (well you have to inlet it a bit) ramp that made all the differnce in the world in my gun.

These guys might have something, although not an AR. Check out the CONVERSION section.

https://www.tnwfirearms.com/default.asp

Boolit Master

I appreciate the links and the Aero pistols are awesome!

Boolit Master

I'd also suggest you look at EndoMags. These convert a standard mag in a standard lower to shoot 9mm from the appropriate upper. They work amazingly well.