Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Accurate 43-10B or 43-215C

Boolit Mold

Accurate 43-10B or 43-215C

I hope everyone had a great Christmas in spite of this Chinese plague.
    I have a question for those of you who use black powder in your 44-40 rifles. My recently acquired rifle is a Miroku 1873 carbine with the 20 inch barrel. For powder I have Goex cartridge grade. Which one of the Accurate bullets 43-210B or 43-215C would be the most effective for my carbine as far as accuracy and fouling control? I understand the 215C was designed for a 24 inch barrel, would the extra amount of lube effect accuracy in my carbine and does the 210-B carry enough lube for extended shooting?
    Sorry, that was more than one question. Appreciate any of your comments.
    Thanks,
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I know several people shooting the 43515c and liking it quite well.
    I shoot the Lyman 205 gr bullet in my miroku short rifle. It prefers bullets at .430 diameter.
    I also like to use a thin card under the bullet when loading with blackpowder.
    I also get better accuracy using Winchester cases than the starline.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

My 1873 two 1873’s( Miroku) 44-40’s with 24” barrels do very well with 43-215C,nice big lube groove to make the trip down the pipe is easy.16:1 alloy 38 grs O.E. 2F no card as cast @.430” WW cases. Remington cases have proven more accurate in my rifles than WW or Starline. Boolits needed to be sized to .429” to fit the Remington cases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0034.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    harbor, both Accurate molds were designed by knowledgeable 44-40 shooters, Fair Shake and w30wcf. John Kort, w30wcf, designed the mold based on the original design of the bullet with extensive testing in his Marlin rifle. John posted the results of his testing at Ridgway Rifle range ... I was spotting for him when he was whacking the pigs at 300 meters
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Powder-Journey
    The choice is yours, the 43-215C is the mold in my inventory
    I don't shoot the bullet in a lever but my Ballard single shot produces excellent groups also:
    36gr Goex Cartridge and 6gr ETR7
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-26-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I use the 43-215c as well and am happy with it. I do not have the 43-210b so cannot make a comparison but if using black I'm not sure you can get to much lube. I hate to admit but with Unique Very nice groups with my H011 Henry are very easy. My load for Black is 35gr of Old E 2f in Starline cases Accuracy seems to hold for 30 shots or so. The sights on this rifle are hard to make nice groups with but my 8" spinner at 100 yards is not to hard to hit. I don't know about the chamber dimensions on the Miroku 73 but another thing to think about is if the neck will support the back of the boolit and incase the lube groove, I had to shorten my sizing die to make mine work with my colt cylinder. The OAL is a very narrow window with a 73 or my Henry so to make the ammunition work for multiple firearms this is a consideration for me. Also the 43-210b has no crimp groove so will only work black I have found that excessive crimping can distort the neck and make chambering difficult. These are my observations so far but I am still working on this and the 38 WCF so they are worth what you paid for them. I wish I would have asked w30wcf more when I had the chance, John started me down the right path but staying on it is harder now.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Another vote for 43-215C.

I also have 43-230EB which is a bit heavier by adding a .03 bevel base. I use this in original Colts having fixed sights in which I do not want to cut down the original front sight to zero. A heavier bullet gives a point of impact closer to where the sights look on my 1920 New Service.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all for your time and comments, very valuable information for me. One thing that keeps popping in my head and maybe I'm just over thinking this is that with my shorter barrel and the amount of lube on the 215-C might make it unstable on how much of the lube remains on the bullet. Other words would the lube be slung off more on one side and effect stability down range? Or maybe I'm just all wet.
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the 43-215C in my Cimarron 1860 Henry and 1873 Sporting Rifle, where I get very good accuracy. It also shoots well in my Uberti Bisley with 5.5" barrel. I think it will shoot well from your 20" barrel as well.

Harbor any lube stuck into your bullet grooves isn't likely to cause any problems.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Dave, Don and all. When I eventually get my loading gear setup I will call Accurate about their 215-C mould. Thanks again for helping me decide on a 73 bullet. Really like this rifle.
    John

One thing you might want to think about on that rifle is replacing the front sight with a shorter one. Not sure why they put such a tall front sight on, but going with a shorter one makes shooting to 200 yards much easier on the rear sight slide adjustment.

If you plan on replacing the front sight as Don suggested do get the Wyoming Sight Drifter to get that front sight off. I’ve had 3 Miroku 1873’s every one of the front sights have been abnormally tight and considerable effort was required on the first one until I learned of the Wyoming tool,very effective worth every penny.

Boolit Mold
    Don and Randy, I quickly realized that the ladder sight was not for my older eyes. I did get the Wyoming Sight Drifter and removed the ladder sight and installed a Marble peep sight. So much easier to see. I bought a box of HSM Cowboy loads and sighted in the rifle. Pipsqueak loads but I was busting clay pigeons at 100 yds. Love this rifle.