Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Vortex 4-12x or 6-18x on 14” Contender

Vortex 4-12x or 6-18x on 14” Contender

You guys using rifle scopes on your long range bench pistols, Contenders/REM XP’s...,
    What are you using for power and scope makes?

I am looking to dive into the ‘rifle scope on pistols’ world. I have read up using them and found techniques to find the reticle and target, then move my eye back. Yes, I know you loose field of view and too close will be dangerous to the head...

I have Burris 7x EER on my Super 14 7-30Waters and 7mm TCU. They are OK at 100 yds, but I’d like some more power for the 221 Falcon, to reach out 200-300 yds.

I am prospecting Vortex Crossfire II in either 4-12x 44AO or the 6-18x based on my budget. My shooting is all done on the bench using a custom pistol rest and sandbags.

I have the Vortex 4-12x Diamondback on a 14" 7tcu with a brake. I shoot it in the prone position without a rest and can almost get a full field of view on 12x. I would go with the most x I could get. I don't know how much recoil your barrel has or if you have a brake. For your stated purpose, I recommend a their V-Plex reticle. But hey I'm one of the several guys that have a 36x scope on a 14" .22lr barrel.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I have not found any scope with more than 12 power useful.
    I have a number of LER Leupold scopes on my Contenders.
    I don`t want my eye as close to the scope on a handgun as a rifle scope requires.

Boolit Master
    I own two two of the Vortex Crssfire II 6-18x44. I had one on my Air rifle for 5000 rounds then put it on my 17 HMR.

It has been an excellent scope. It's most useful upper power level is about 14. After that it is just not as clear. I put one on my 264 winchester, and the one like I said on my 17 HMR is awesome. I think they are a very good scope for people that need to stay in that dollar range.
    I did move up to the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 for my air rifle.

I have two of them. One is on a 17 Hornet the other on the air rifle. They are fantastic scopes but again they are best under 18X on these.

Boolit Master
    I started with a Burris 7x EER on a 223 barrel first trip to Wyoming. The guys out there were all using brakes and rifle scopes on their handguns. Now one of mine has a Vortex HS-LR 4-16 FFP. I found that lacking on magnification so I jumped up to a Vortex HS-LR 6-24 on another one.

As was mentioned above go with as much magnification as you can.