Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Rust in bore

Boolit Master

Rust in bore

Picked up a Cva bobcat 50 cal cap gun cheap.Bore was in poor condition lots of rust. I did get it cleaned up but had to reblue barrel after getting rust remover on bluing and it ran down barrel.what is amazing is how well it shoots round ball.patches seem to be removing what was left in the grooves.thinking of making a wood stock for it for a winter project.

Photos are always nice!

DG

Boolit Master

I was given a cheap-o in-line with a horrid bore, have toyed with the idea of sending it to Mr Hoyt to bore out & make it into a BP shotgun. Don't know if it would even be doable, but that would be it's only salvation.
    Glad yours wasn't so bad to clean up and get shootable again.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Mold
    Had to do the same one time. Brush on a cordless drill for a bit....just didn't feel right, BUT I finally got it useable!

Glad you got yours up and smoking!

I wonder if you used lapping compound as patch lube....
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    No I used J-B bore cleaning compound but not on the patched roundball.also many passes with medium steelwool

Boolit Master
    I uploaded a test pic in the test forum but can not upload in the muzzleloader .hope to show my bluing job

No, I mean I wonder if that would work? Fire lapping with the patch, rather than the normal bullet.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    I was given a cheap-o in-line with a horrid bore, have toyed with the idea of sending it to Mr Hoyt to bore out & make it into a BP shotgun. Don't know if it would even be doable, but that would be it's only salvation.
    Glad yours wasn't so bad to clean up and get shootable again.
    Don"t think Bob does inlines (pretty sure) in fact /Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr. Hoyt did a few in-lines for me. A call to him would give the best answer.

Boolit Buddy
    That works just fine. I did that to salvage a .54 Renegade barrel years ago. I used lens grinding powders suspended in olive oil to wet the patches and then a light 30 grain load of 3f. Cleaned it to a bare bore after every shot and I seem to remember firing 15 or 20 of those down range. At least until the barrel looked bright and shiny to my eye. I gave the rifle to a friend and he’s still using it. It has a few pits still but it’s good for some 2” groups at a hundred yards with patched round ball.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Picked up a Cva bobcat 50 cal cap gun cheap.Bore was in poor condition lots of rust. I did get it cleaned up but had to reblue barrel after getting rust remover on bluing and it ran down barrel.what is amazing is how well it shoots round ball.patches seem to be removing what was left in the grooves.thinking of making a wood stock for it for a winter project.
    If it shoots well, don't mess with it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I too was given a .50 caliber mzl loader. Black Diamond. The bore for about 8 inches was pretty roached so I cut it down. Re drilled and tapped barrel for sight, cut down ram rod and made a ball starter with the drop piece. Trigger is fully adjustable and nice. It was in bad shape when it was given to me. Rusted shut and the no.11 nipple was peened and mushroomed over badly. I chucked it in my drill and dressed it with a file and sandpaper...

Still haven't shot it yet after the shortening.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.