Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Another Newb

Another Newb

I'm a long time reloader and I've been reading posts here from time to time but have yet to try casting.

Thanks to all those that share their experience and expertise in the this forum and others.

wbbh,

Welcome to the board! I've been hanging around this haunt since 2005 (joined New Year's Day 2006). I had also been reloading for many years prior to signing up for this board. I had been casting since the mid 80's and only thought I knew about casting. I learned more here in the first 18 months after joining, than I had own my own the prior 20 years. Good to have you here, and don't ever think there's any such thing as a silly question. There is literally centuries of knowledge here to be shared when it comes to turning lead into boolits.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Welcome, wbb! There are many good folks here, and we're always glad to have another.

DG

Howdy, Ya'll from the Tulsa, OK area:
    Another Newbee to the Magic of Casting...also a longtime reloader. Still fumbling around in the forum, as with other firearms groups, I've found AMAZING people here! Now a question from the "new kid"; I've a brand new Lee Pro pot, just wired up to it's own circuit, ventilation fan hooked up. I have about 10 lbs. of scrap lead to start with, a jar of Frankfort flux, and required safety stuff. I also have a variety of Lyman molds, acquired over the last 40 yrs. or so. Any suggestions on breaking in this new pot?

Howdy from a fellow Okie (Idabel/Broken Bow).

I've been casting for decades now. I've yet to do anything to a new pot other than plug it in, fill it up and start casting. Always good to have another member join. I've been hanging around here a pretty good while and learned a lot. And yes, it's an awesome site with great people.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Thank you Murphy!
    Any thoughts about fluxing?

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Traveler View Post
    Thank you Murphy!
    Any thoughts about fluxing?
    I've tried numerous methods of fluxing over the years. First trying the small bit of bullet lube, beeswax, then onto Marvelux. Steer clear of the Marvelux. Others may love it, I loath it. Nasty and corrosive if not properly handled. I've finally settled down to using saw dust. It doesn't take much and it's free. If you have any friends who do woodwork, see if they can be of any assistance in getting you a small sack full. Some lumber yards that still cut boards on site will often have it all over the floor. Be advised though, at the lumber yard the sawdust could be a mixture of every type lumber they carry. Including fiber board, which will have glue in it as well. I tend to like cedar wood for the sake of the smell and it works just as well as any of the others. UTube will most likely have numerous videos on it as well regarding fluxing.

Murphy
    Last edited by Murphy; 12-28-2020 at 01:58 PM.