Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Fryer For PC Bullets???

Boolit Man

Air Fryer For PC Bullets???

I am gearing up to powder coat my bullets. You experts say a small convection oven works best because the fan prevents temperature variations. I have access to a cheap air-fryer and it seems to me that that should work the same. Have any of you used one for this?

Banned
    I want to know the same, will be following this.

Boolit Master
    We have 2 air fryers. They seem to blow air pretty hard straight down. It doesn't seem to be the best set up for PC.

Wont know until someone tries....

Will it get hot enough? How hot is it capable of?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    That would be fantastic. Excuse me while I hang around and wait for someone to try this out.
    Cargo

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Will it get hot enough? How hot is it capable of?
    Our unit that is used for food goes well over 400 degrees. I see one on FB Marketplace for $20.

Boolit Grand Master
    Isn't another name for air fryer, would be "oven"

If this works - it would be the way for me to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Velocity of air varies from unit to unit and it could possibly blow the powder or thin it out. Who knows! They are mostly very tiny cavity ovens. I could only get mabe 75-100 in our air-fry oven....totally not big enough for me. And it peaks out digitally at 400°F....might not be actually 400!

I would suggest sticking with a good quality standard convection oven like Oster.......mine cost $120 at Walmart and holds HUNDREDS of boolits (with the extra rack I made) and it's totally digital with temp accuracy ±5°F. (NO PID needed here!) Perfect bakes every time.

Some one is bound to try this someday and post the results. I'll just stick with what I know works every time.

banger

Boolit Man
    I picked up the air dryer for $20. I am waiting on the powder so when I get it I'll see what happens and post it here.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What other forum have I seen this exact post before ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    What other forum have I seen this exact post before ...
    It's not exact. I changed a few words...

I paid $5 for one toaster oven from the Goodwill and $3.50 for another from the Goodwill outlet store. Having two inexpensive toaster ovens lets me leap frog between coatings and bakings. I fill a tray in about half the time it takes to bake the bullets, so I can process bullets twice as fast. I calibrated both so they hold the proper temperature for a good cure. No need to spend triple digits for an expensive oven when there are many out there virtually free.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I paid $5 for one toaster oven from the Goodwill and $3.50 for another from the Goodwill outlet store. Having two inexpensive toaster ovens lets me leap frog between coatings and bakings. I fill a tray in about half the time it takes to bake the bullets, so I can process bullets twice as fast. I calibrated both so they hold the proper temperature for a good cure. No need to spend triple digits for an expensive oven when there are many out there virtually free.
    More power to you! I just spend what I want when I want. I have never had any luck with used garbage. Someone throws it in the bin for a reason! I have spent $5-10 each on 4 different ovens B4 I threw them all away and bought the new Oster BIG digital one.

I have discovered a coffin does not have side pockets and you cannot take it with you, so enjoy life while you can and buy what you want!

banger

Boolit Master
    I could not get Hitek or PC to work well until I bought a decent convection oven from walmart. Best 69.99 I have spent in bullet casting.

Boolit Master
    My experience is similar to Banger's. Goodwill and estate sale convection ovens wouldn't get to or hold temperature or had very uneven heating. I went with a Breville convection oven that was expensive, but works very well.

I'm not saying that less pricy units aren't up to the task; there are lots of members who bake their coated boolits and have better results than mine. I'm just reporting that my second hand purchases may have been really cheap, but ended up being wastes of my money.

If you can find the cash, buying once and crying once can save the frustration of tools that can't do the job they were bought for, especially when they steepen the learning curve when trying something new.

That being said, innovation and invention come out of need. I'm curious to hear if an air fryer would work. It might be a fine option for low volume production at what sounds like modest cost.

Moderator Emeritus

Wouldn't you be severely restricted on the amount that could be baked at a time vs an oven? My airfryer is round and more upright. Do they make flatter, multi layered ones?

Yes they do make multilayered rectangular air fryers, that also work as toaster ovens where the air doesn't blow. Dont think mine blows so hard it would desturb the powder but I have never PC'd.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    You might run a search on this site. Air fryers were tried a few years ago. I don't know what the results were. Might give you some info.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I think any type of closed insulated container with even heat distribution and accurate temp control would work. If your willing to experiment.

Ive tried a lot of things with home supplies that worked and some didn’t.

Just remember that when you cook pc, lead, or any other toxic thing in an appliance, is no longer good for food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast