Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 special ammunition question

38 special ammunition question

Morning and Merry Christmas

I regularly shoot my father in law’s WW2 SandW Navy Victory Model 38special revolver. For fun, I purchased the following Cowboy action ammunition from Buffalo Arms: 38 Special 148 Grain Lead Hollow Base Wad Cutter Smokeless, muzzle velocity 656fps. The OAL is 1.24 inches. What do you think about using this underlength ammunition in the revolver?

thanks

Mike
    Charleston, SC

What makes you think it's short? I've shot plenty of full wadcutters that barely stuck out of the case.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I have a heavy bbl'd S & W Mod. 10 [.38Spl.] through which I fire wadcutters that are essentially flush with the case mouths and longer, semi wad cutters. No problems with cylinder or bore leading or accuracy with either.

Merry Xmas and Go Buckeyes!

Boolit Bub
    Shoot it and have fun. Merry Christmas!

I thought the minimum oal was 1.45 inches.

Mike. Thanks!

Super Moderator

I think that ammunition will likely be quite accurate in that revolver. I also load my wadcutters essentially flush to the case mouth.

Go Bucks...plus we’re Clempson Haters too!

Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I have a heavy bbl'd S & W Mod. 10 [.38Spl.] through which I fire wadcutters that are essentially flush with the case mouths and longer, semi wad cutters. No problems with cylinder or bore leading or accuracy with either.

Merry Xmas and Go Buckeyes!
    Next Friday!

Boolit Master

I used to have the same Revolver.
    Shot many 1,000's of #358495 and H&G #50 seated; bullet flush with case mouth. Only enough crimp to close the case mouth to the front driving band.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

It'll be fine. Those are at the pressure, or lower than what it was designed to eat.
    Just clean the cylinders when ya get done.
    You may or may not have a 'crude ring' trying to build up.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I shoot wad cutters and round balls all the time out of my revolvers with NO problem. Some are flush with the end of the brass. I only watch the OAL spec in semi auto pistoles.

As said, watch for that "toilet bowl" ring forming and clean it out. I have never had that problem with any loads I have made.

Shoot away!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by heebs View Post
    Shoot it and have fun. Merry Christmas!
    Agree 100%. Wadcutters are either seated flush, or crimped a little at the top crimp groove. My old S&W Victory Model loves flush seated wad cutters. Basically one hole groups at 15 yards. Enjoy!
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I have to go along with heebs and JoeJames. 2.7 grains of Bullseye and a full wadcutter bullet seated flush, or in the crimp groove at the top is a hard load to beat for just plain having fun. That, and teaching others new to centerfire handguns. Kind of like a big .22 LR. Plus, it makes a nice, clean hole for the beginner to see where there shot just went.

On another note about shooting wad cutters. In years gone by, full wad cutters seemed to be the rule for law enforcement training (at least in Oklahoma). Once you've gotten proficient at quickly loading a cylinder full with wad cutters? Stuffing it full with with any bullet that has a nose on it will seem like a dream come true for speed.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    the lite target loads are easy to clean out of the cylinder.
    it's only when you shoot hot .38 loads that it beco.es harder to clean.
    then, it's best to use the full length .357 shells.

Cartridge OAL is not one set figure. Different bullets when properly seated have different OAL's.
    If you read most any reloading manual you can easily see how different bullets require different OAL's.
    Most any 38 Spec load can be shot in most any 38 Spec pistol. Just h ave to watch for the +P loads some 38 Spec pistols are not as strong as others. If in doubt just use standard 38 spec loads.
    Those Cowboy loads are at a low pressure level to reduce recoil for faster shooting in Cowboy Action Shooting events.
    Leo

Boolit Buddy
    I competed in PPC for years; can't remember a factory load or any of my equally accurate wadcutter loads that weren't flush seated at the mouth of the case.

A friend who still competes in PPC tells me the latest thing in the pursuit of PPC accuracy are loads where the bullet is seated well INSIDE the case. I am going to ask him more about that the next time we talk. He's been a Distinguished Master for years; so he doesn't do things just because it's the latest fad.

I have been shooting 38 Short Colt in my S&W Mod 19, since a friend gave me a box. No problems at all, and they are definitely short cases.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Happy New Year!

Thanks all for your advice. I’m now convinced that I’ll safely enjoy shooting the wadcutters in the Victory 38special revolver.

Tuesday, my wife and I next hit the range. I’ll be benching three cartridges: Winchester 130gr FMJ OAL 1.43 inches; Buffalo Arms 148gr Cowboy Action smokeless wadcutter OAL 1.33 and a Federal Gold Medal 148gr wadcutter OAL 1.16.

Let’s see what we get!

Mike

Good afternoon. We shot a few toys at the range today, including the Navy Victory in 38 special. I tried both wadcutters: Federal Gold Medal Match 148gr and the Buffalo Arms 148 Cowboy Action Smokeless. Both shot very well, I think I preferred the BA as it kicked a bit less. It’s going to be fun for target practice.

But here’s the thing....I have what looks like a narrow ring of lead in each cylinder where the end of the wadcutter sat. Maybe 10 thousands. Barrel is pristine after cleaning. I have had a burn ring of powder before and it’s always been easy to clean. This is different. Silvery. Lead buildup?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Mike
    Charleston, Sc.

Ohiomike, what you are seeing is probably lead buildup. I shoot a lot of cowboy shooting with very light loads. I get the dreaded lead ring in the cylinders of my Ruger Vaqueros if I load too light.
    You mentioned that the BA were less powerful. They were also loaded longer. I am thinking they developed less pressure and didn’t obdurate the bullet enough to get a good seal. Might have been a little flame cutting of the bullet depositing lead in the cylinders.
    You might want to try the different loads separately and see if one does better than the others.
    The lead should come right out with a little cooler chore boy wrapped around a bore brush.
    Sam

That's part of the 'crud ring'.
    You'll get it in everything.
    Ya just need to be aware of it when firing any shorter cartridge you shoot in a long chamber.
    .38s in a .357, .44Spec. in a .44Mag, .22shorts in a .22LR, etc. It's normal.

Just clean it out regularly, especially before ya let it build up and then chamber up the longer versions.

If I'm going to the range with a .357Mag and .38s, I shoot the .357s first,
    then switch over to the short wad cutters, or .38s.

If I shoot a bunch of .38s first, sometimes the .357s don't really want to chamber due to the crud ring.
    I figure that would raise the chamber pressure with the added resistance of boolit release tension.
    Never had a problem shooting the short ones after I'm done with the longer Mags.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-05-2021 at 08:09 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast