MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Talk me into/out of a Henry Single shot 45-70

Boolit Man

Talk me into/out of a Henry Single shot 45-70

Ran across a Henry single shot 45-70 today at the gun shop. First time I’ve run across one and it looks like a fun gun to shoot. I don’t need it for anything other than it looks like it would be a neat gun to have. I reload so am not worried about the high cost of 45-70 ammo right now, although finding brass might be an issue. I have 45 Colt SA and lever action so seems like this my fit right in!

Either talk me into it or talk me out of it. Let’s hear the good and the bad for anyone that has one, had one or has an opinion.

Banned

There were very long threads about these when Henry brought them out, if you do a quick search, you'll likely come up with all the info you could ever want.

I like the looks of them, .45-70 is dirt cheap and simple to load for if you cast, I shoot a good bit of it, but there are too many other things I want more in front of one.

Seems I remember the triggers in them leave a lot to be desired, but I also remember someone posting the fix for that too.

Boolit Master
    Go to the 'single shot' section and read all
    about them. They seem to have fixed all the
    early problems.

I have an early production .357 and I put skinner
    sights on it. Shoots the 170 gr Keith SWC
    like a laser.

Go for it !

Boolit Master
    If it is a used gun, check to see if it has factory recall for the trigger upgrade. If not, you should be able to send it in and also if it hasn't that may be a point of negotiation between you and the seller. I have a 44 Mag and didn't care for it at all in it's original configuration but its not too bad after the recall. I wouldn't buy another one.

Boolit Master
    My son in Ohio picked one up yesterday, a brass receiver model in 45-70. Been sending me pics of it as of last night with them handling it. They have no boolits tho as I have all the components here in Louisiana for it. I have everything except a good mold, probably a 300-400 gr would do.

Boolit Master
    How much does the rifle weigh? Top-break single shots 45-70s kick like a Missouri mule. I wouldn't want to shoot a 45-70 that weighed less than around 8 pounds.

Boolit Grand Master

Get the Lyman 457122 Gould if you buy the rifle. It is all you need in the east and shoots easily.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    How much does the rifle weigh? Top-break single shots 45-70s kick like a Missouri mule. I wouldn't want to shoot a 45-70 that weighed less than around 8 pounds.
    If you cast & reload there is no problem with the lighter 45/70 .300 - 340 gr. Boolits over 11 to 12 gr. Red Dot quite accurate & fun to shoot.

Boolit Man

You can almost never have too many or too much gun Debt first – toys second.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Boolit Master

My feelings about the 45/70....100 yards and under...loaded with the right powder and boolit....it will stop, or turn, anything in North America that would threaten me with bodily harm.

Just guessing, but anyone in body armor or wearing a kevlar vest,....if hit by a 400-500gr boolit at 1500 to 1900 fps, would probably be on their knees gasping for air, or laying on the ground looking at eye-floaters due to blunt trauma.

Don't know about Africa, Siberia, or the Amazon, because I have never been to those places,...and never plan to go!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
    I don’t need it for anything other than it looks like it would be a neat gun to have..
    That's reason enough right there.

I got a Marlin CB in .45-70 about 20 years ago for the same 'reason'.
    I needed it about as much as a hog needs a hip pocket,
    It took a little while to figure out which end is more dangerous than the other--
    but with a 405gr at trapdoor speeds, or holy black, its turned out to be a real favorite.

It's perfect for cast.
    After seeing the price of them--- I've never fired a jacketed round in mine.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-29-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really like the brass frame Henry single shot, it has a Ruger no. 3 vibe to it. I bet it would be pretty easy to shoot with .44 Magnum level loads.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

If it recoils like my 45-70 Ruger No 3....... Make sure you have a nice thick recoil pad or a big bottle of aspirin.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the responses and thoughts. I decided to pass and look for a lever action. It’s is a cool gun, just that a lever action seems a little more cool and practical. The Henry seems a little light for that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    If it recoils like my 45-70 Ruger No 3....... Make sure you have a nice thick recoil pad or a big bottle of aspirin.
    I will second that. I owned a Number 3 in .45-70. I hated it because of the recoil. At that time I was not particularly recoil sensitive. I regularly hunted Alaska with a Sako in .338 Win. Mag. Have also owned two rifles in .458 Win. and one in .416 Rem.. The problem with the Number 3 was its weight. Way too light. I fixed it by rebarreling to .375 JDJ. Put a mid weight 27" barrrel on it. It's a joy now. I am waiting for a Lee 250 gr. .375 mould to arrive. Want to shoot some cast through it. Funny, with the 27" barrel it is the same length as my Ruger American .30-06.

Boolit Master
    If you duplicate that Remington trapdoor 405 grain load the recoil should be fine. A buddy had a Contender pistol in 45-70 and with those Remington loads it was fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    The equivalent load for over-the-counter 45-70 is a 405 gr cast bullet over 38.5gr IMR 3031. In my rifle, that load groups right in with Remington CorLoks.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    The equivalent load for over-the-counter 45-70 is a 405 gr cast bullet over 38.5gr IMR 3031. In my rifle, that load groups right in with Remington CorLoks.
    My load is the same with 38.0 grains of IMR 3031 in my Marlin 1895 with 22" barrel.
    I loaded some 405 grain JSP at 1500 FPS, but they are literally painful to shoot from the bench.