Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: 45 Caliber GC's on the base of a 40 S&W Bullet

45 Caliber GC's on the base of a 40 S&W Bullet

I know I should order a Pat Marlin GC maker in 40 val but for now I have some 45 copper GC's in hand. I installed them the base of 121 40 cal bullets. I used a .401 push through die. The GC's are firmly in place on the bullets. The GC's bulged out the bass of the GC. The extra metal had to go somewhere. Any guess as to how effective these GX's will be? I intend to shoot the bullets one at a time through my GP-100.

This project is the result of me experiencing leading in the first 1/4" of rifling. I also intend to cast some more bullets just using alloy form WW air cooled rather than water quenching them as has been my practice to date with the 40 cal. Up until now I have had no leading in my 40cal pistols using water quenched WW alloyed water quenched bullets but the revolver is a different animal.

Take Care
    Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I had 1000 .429 bevel base that had ugly out of round ends I got a deal on that leaded. A 41 caliber gc fit perfect running through a .430 sizer and solved the problem. It spread the 41 gas check to .430
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-25-2020 at 04:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    With that .45 cal gas check there was quite a lot of metal that had to "go somewhere" and so gave you a bit of a bulge. You'd probably have been OK with a .44 (actually .43) gas check, and for sure a 41 cal would work better.

Meanwhile I've been getting great .40 cal gas checks from Sage's Outdoor. He has a couple different sizes depending on your shank size.

OK I took out 24 cartridges to the range and after firing the rds off I examined the bore and, as expected no leading. Using the .45 GC's is not ideal by any stretch, however it will do for now. Rather than buy the correct size I think I will order the die from Pat Marlins and cut my own. I have his dies for the 38, My plan is to use my 10MM in IDPA ESR Division using 40 cal cartridges. With that in mid I know I will consume a lot of practice so I might as well as make the investment now.

earlmck thank you for the heads uo on Sage's, I think I will run with a cutting die for myself and make my own out of pop cans aka soda cans on the south side of the 49th..:>)

I hope Santa was good to you all and I wish you the Best for 2021. 2020 has not been to kind to so many. Our prayers go out to our southern neighbours.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

A few months ago I noticed that bevel plain base bullets were beginning to deposit lead in the forcing cone and first half inch or so of my Ruger Buckeye 10mm. I've never had a leading problem with this revolver before. These were commercial cast of unknown origin with some commercial hard lube that I'd had on the shelf for 20 years or so. I was using mid-range data for Unique and 180 grain loads, so velocity shouldn't have been an issue, plus I'd fired similar loads in the past with no leading. I loaded another batch, but took 2 steps to try and eliminate the leading. First, I tumble lubed the commercial cast bullets with 50/50 Johnson's Paste wax and Lee Liquid Alox. I have a gov't surplus hole punch (for 3 ring binders) that makes .40 holes/.40 wads. I used to use this to produce cardboard and wax paper wads for BP cartridge loading, so I decided to try a single .40 thin cardboard wad under the bullet. I wouldn't have used a wad unless I had almost a case full of bulky powder. Anyway, without having to resort to a gas check, the leading problem was eliminated. I suspect that just tumble lubing with LLA may have worked alone, but it took almost no effort or extra time to place a thin card wad cut from primer boxes over the powder and under the plain based bullets.

muskeg13 that is an interesting solve. The only time I have used wads in pistol cases was when I made myself up some "shot" cartridges for my 45 Colt. I decided to purchase a Pat Marlin die to cut my own GC's out of pop can aluminum or roof sheeting. I have used his die in .357 Mag applications with excellent results in the past. I still intend to have my forcing cone cut as well. The latter has some effect on accuracy -anecdotal evidence given to justify the expense of the cut. :>). Not sure it has any effect but you have to lean on something.

Pat is always helpful and easy to do business with. His dies and my casting regimen keeps me busy over the winter that seems to interrupt my shooting once a year. Our Covid rules keep me at home right now and you can only read so many books and without the NHL for the fall one can go CRAZY. Oh well today we will find out if our Juniors can advance to the finals of the World Junior Tournament. There arre three strong teams this year and the USA is one of them this time around.

Take Care

Bob