Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Old powder measures?

Boolit Buddy

Old powder measures?

They work great! Anyone know the brand of the smaller version?

Wondering if the inserts can still be found or fabricated for different drop amounts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	measure - 1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	273881
    Last edited by clearwater; 12-24-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Master

Sure, I use brass turned to fit and a proper size powder cavity
    They work great
    Does the tube on the larger one have Pacific stamped in it? Mine do.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, the larger is a Pacific.

Boolit Grand Master
    The brass reservoir on the larger measure should have PACIFIC stamped on it vertically in small block letters. Over the years rotors in 15-18 or so sizes, most of which were calibrated for Bullseye, some for Unique, and a very few for 2400. Volumes are easily adjustable by drilling or reaming out those that are too small, or filling oversized ones with solder, epoxy, or even wax or tape.

As for the smaller measure, that’s a totally new one on me. I’m going to hazard a guess that it is home made. Unless you find stamped or cast in markings on it, I wouldn’t know how to begin researching it. Do you know what part of the country it was found in?

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Agreeing with the Great Frog Person, the big one is a Pacific, though it looks to have a steel tube from the War years. The small one is shop made, not a difficult task for a skilled machinist. The rotors also look to be steel and home made as well.
    Both are great tools with a very good design that is time proven to work.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    They were my Grandad's. He was a mechanic for Montana State Highway Dept, starting with horse drawn graders. After he retired, he was a gunsmith. He made stuff of metal, but also traded a lot with friends who made stuff too. Could be home made by him. Other than some corrosion t is better finished than the Pacific one so I thought it might be commercial. I have a couple of his rifles. He did the wood work and had a partner who did the barrel work. Both worked on actions.

The Pacific is steel. The little one is steel except for the stand and cap. .

Boolit Grand Master
    Good call, Exalted Pressman! The steel reservoir tube and rotors place the Pacific in the war years, which would make sense to have been owned by someone who worked with horse drawn road graders! I was so intent on explaining the PACIFIC marking on the tube, I missed that altogether.

Apparently there were a large number of those measures made before, during, and especially after WW II, and a lot of them have been stashed away, neglected and unused as their owners became inactive in reloading or "moved up" to the next "bigger and better thing." As the current RCBS Little Dandy shows, they can be quite useful, particularly if you load a single (or a few powder charge(s). I really like them for small pistol charges, a duty they fulfill quite well indeed. Think about how quickly you can dump powder in the reservoir and charge 50 or 100 cases with very minimal set up time! The good news is that they seem to be coming to light now and that they are reasonably priced, even on evilBay.

Froggie

PS The home made one looks interesting from a historical prospective, but I don't think it's any better (or worse) than the factory job. JMHO, your opinion may vary.
    "It aint easy being green!"