Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Can I swage 9mm bullets with these???

Boolit Bub

Can I swage 9mm bullets with these???

copper tubings

what do you guys think? is this doable? what dies would I need to make 9mm bullets out of these if possible?

cheers

Boolit Buddy
    The biggest is 8.5 mm. You are going to have to bump
    It up a bit. I don’t think my Lyman sizer would fix it. You would need the dies to sewage a bullet and a single stage press like an RCBS rockchucker.

Boolit Master

your better off getting a roll of refrigerant tubing and a set of tubing jacket dies. sometimes trying to save a buck can cost you double.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I guess I’m confused as to why you want a copper jacket for a 9mm anyway? How fast are you pushing them? More curious than anything.

BNE.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Bub
    thanks guys. we make 9mm rifles here in new zealand and we would like to offer some 9mm hand swaged bullets as well. personally, i like precision and i will be able only to get the precision i want with jacketed bullets.

Cheers
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 12-30-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Not allowed

Boolit Bub
    thanks guys. i have a carbide set of dies to make 9mm HPBT bullets and was wondering if i could fold one end in of this tube and use it as a jacket.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 12-25-2020 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post

Boolit Master

It would be easier to draw down 38 jackets, unless they are unavailable.
    Those could be swaged up to .355.
    You will want to anneal them before each step.
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 12-25-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    You will have to experiment but seat the core first in the core seat die then start to form the base in the point form die (you have to determine how much to close. Eject projectile and turn around, push into point form die for final shape. I've done this for a few 45acp bullets.

Boolit Master

I actually think the 8.5mm tubes might work. Doing a conversion; the tube you link to are about 1/2 Inch tall. Corbins lists their 9mm jackets:
    J-38-500 ------ 9mm/38 cal x .500 len., per 500 ---------------- 58.00 (http://www.corbins.com/prices.htm#jackets)

Do not know if you have swage before; but under best practice, the jacket "Tube" is slightly under the final dimension. This is why I think a lead core of appropriate weigh & diameter, with the correct punch to seat the core and expand it in the Swage die would work.

An example of 9mm Swage dies (even has an option for 9mm in nose shape selection): ( http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=SSWAGE ).

One issue will be putting a slight "Rounded Heel" on the base of the bullet.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    They will end up very short. To make 115 - 125 grain bullets you'd want to start with tubes that were roughly 18-20mm long. That way you could close one end, and have a 13-15mm long jacket remaining. For heavier bullets, you'd want longer tubes yet.

Those tubes would also be very thin for jackets
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Vendor Sponsor

I made a couple 9mm bullets from 3/8" copper tubing that turned out well and was pretty easy.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

Here is some info with pics about half way threw the thread....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...niper-9mm-dies!
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

BT Sniper dies are very good.

Boolit Bub
    thank you for all the answer, guys! appreciated!
    i was looking for a somewhat accurate and cheap (I know both words dont work together) 9mm swaged bullets and thought that these 8.5mm tubes could work. i have 3 carbide inserts made (friend that works with carbide tools): point form, core swage and a third one to draw down a 9mm brass. i know drawing down 9mm cases to make 9mm bullets looks like an incest, but here in NZ you trip on these or they are dirty cheap.
    i can take some pics of them next time as I cant remember where I put them right now (its midnight as well).
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 12-30-2020 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Not allowed

Boolit Bub
    some of my inserts... to the guys with more knowledge, a question: one of these inserts (to draw 9mm shells down) has a major diameter of 0.413" and the minor dia of 0.352". do you guys think that after annealing a 9mm brass, will I be able to draw down a case using this insert? i don't have the die that holds it yet so it is a shot in the dark. i also don't mind breaking it as it was cheap for me.
    any input is welcome.
    regards
    mfg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inserts.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	274372

Boolit Master

MFG-BPO:

concerning sizing 9mm cases down; I use a Corbin die/punch to take a dead soft-heat treated 9mm case (~ .394 at rim) down to .307 in a single pass using a Corbin CSP1 press. To do this I turn the die down where the die mouth just touches the base of the former 9mm case (inverted on punch) while the ram is all the way up. Lower the ram and turn the die two full turns - cycle, lower ram and turn the die two full turns-cycle, and repeat until the 9mm case has passed through the sizing die. I have to use a 1/4" x 3" push rod to fully push the former 9mm case through the die body, and out the top (Die punch & ram throw is to short to fully eject the new .307 jacket - If one trays to use a follow on jacket to size and at the same time push the previous jacket out the top; the bottom jacket will often telescope into the previous jacket rather than eject it). Then do another one.

I am able to take that ~ .394 base down to .307 to form a .30 caliber brass jacket for swaging .308 bullets. I found it "Impossible" for me to size the jacket down in one pass without the incremental size/turn/size/turn process. Some might try using a "Cheater Bar" on the press handle; but I am more cautious and prefer my incremental solution.

A link to the Corbin Die I use is: http://www.swagedies.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=jmkits
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.