Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
    Amen brother. It only happened to me once with Obama. Never again. Primers:Great. Powder: Great. Lead: great again. Ammo: fantastic. I’m not being ignorant, but when you get caught with your pants down, you learn. I was caught with less than 1000 primers and a couple of lbs of powder.
    I could have gotten thru the Obama thing with 1000 primers, it did not last that long but then 1000 primers lasts me quite a while. The Obama thing wasn't really an Obama thing wasn't it because of an exposition.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I think you owe some members here an apology. Some members here have given away ammo and primers, not for top dollar but for free. I offered to sell some ammo for less than the lowest advertised price I could find. I see a lot of things on Swap and Sell for top dollar all the time other times I see people willing to give stuff away for the cost of postage.

Tim
    I gave it some reflection and I agree. I apologize for my remarks to all.

I also have realized there is, and been the recipient of, great generosity here.

Boolit Master

I learned that I consider most of my shooting and gun collecting to be a frivolous hobby that is now too expensive to afford.

I will always have my self-defense and "weapons of war" firearms, and plenty of ammo to service them, as those are essential. But going to the range and blasting away 100 rounds of now extremely expensive and hard to find ammo just for the fun of it seems a bit irresponsible to me, now.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    It has taught me that when you live a good 100 miles away from any large city, there will never be any ammo or reloading components available to me.
    I’ve lived much farther than that from a large city and it never prevented me from buying components. The key was to keep up with the online retailers and buy what I wanted when they had it. I also bought enough to offset the shipping and hazmat charges. The last time I bought at an excessively high price was some primers iii 2009-10.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Again, not the time for new reloaders to try to get into this. They will have to wait this one out. And those who are cash-strapped, maybe shooting isn't something they need to do in this environment. This is a hobby, what you spend your discretionary money on, hobbies are not for folks who are "cash-strapped"....my non-essential activities cease when I don't have money for it. Go to the library and check out a book or the interenet, lots to learn there. There are always choices we need to make, everyone's situation is different....and so the choices should be different also.

If you like to shoot and have the funds to do it (and are on this fourm), this "shortage" is of little consequence to you.
    This assumes that all reloading is purely for hobby purposes. Some cast and load to put food on the table and their posts have indicated that finances are tight. Some load for defensive purposes. It’s not all about hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I learned I ain't got enough, though I've stocked maybe 3-4 years worth. Lack of money, not desire or knowledge being the reason I've not got more.

I've learned that it's better to have primer and no powder than the other way around. I've learned it's better to have plenty of primers and 22s for 8 guns than a limited supply for a dozen guns.

I've learned some of the people here have enough powder and primers to help those that for whatever reason are lacking, and that those folks will gladly sell but only at top dollar. I guess the lesson is there are very few that aren't ruled by the dollar.

I've learned that if you refuse to quarantine they will put an ankle bracelet on you and post a cop outside your house. Seen it on the local news.
    I have a few close friends to whom I would sell at what I paid for components or even give to them. Generally, I sell things that I didn’t really want to sell for replacement cost. It’s the only way to protect the investment. I certainly wouldn’t sell to someone I don’t know well at below market just to be a good guy unless they were learning to load under my supervision.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    It has taught me that when you live a good 100 miles away from any large city, there will never be any ammo or reloading components available to me.
    During normal times most of the online suppliers offer free shipping and no hazmat a couple of times a year. For smaller orders I wait for the free shipping and/or no hazmat. If I can't wait I combine orders with friends to minimize the shipping and or hazmat. I do shoot and reload more than most so if I have an order of at least 32 pounds of powder and 10K of primers I will order that myself since the shipping and hazmat cost becomes minimal per pound.

For steel shot loads I order from Rogers Sports. In the spring they have a lot of free shipping and great prices. https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Ammunition

I also shoot a lot of 17 HMR. Midsouth generally has the best sale prices https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

The only time I purchase local is when the cost is close to being competitive.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    It’s taught me to re-evaluate what I use and need. Since moving out of Alaska I don’t use any of the “magnum” rifles and associated slow burning powders and LR mag primes. I have way to much IMR 4831, H4831, RL 22 and RL25. Am down to about 2,500 LR primers.
    Still have a good supply of medium burning powders but will add another 25-30 pounds when conditions permit.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master

I confess that I'm a hoarder. Although my compulsion extends beyond ammunition and components, those are the things I take most comfort from. In addition to over 2 tons of lead in various alloys(mostly COWW & SOWW) I've got enough powder, primers, brass in most cartridges that I shoot to use that lead. Although I didn't run out of .22 rimfire, I started buying when supplies again became available. I'll never live long enough to shoot all the .22's.

Right now I'm concentrating on supplying my sons and grandsons with practice ammo. May take me awhile but plan to supply each with a 50 cal ammo can of handgun ammo for the guns they currently own(I'm slow). I own many guns they will own someday so they don't need ammo for those right now. At my age, I'm not sure when they will acquire those guns but it won't be before the next panic, I hope.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

Only thing I learned ,

Was the surprising numbers of shooters and reloaders that never seem to learn from the past, then expect people to sell them stuff dirt cheap even in the middle of a shortage,, 🙄
    best one of the month,

about unique and IMR unequal, They really did duplicate it, made it equally unobtainable

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Shortages ....... Learning .

It refreshed my memory , my family is like that .

I don't anywhere near enough jacketed bullets .......not really a big deal but I'm not all warm and fuzzy about it .

I have to buy some more primers I have , with recent inheritance of tools and supplies , about 5# more powder than primers .

Brass isn't as common as it used to be but there are folks out there that don't think in terms of X amount loaded + Y amount for periodic shooting + Z stocks to reload = 75% of A inventory on hand .

Refresher #2 .
    The middle of a train wreck is not the time to add a new cartridge especially if you can't make the brass out of something you have a 25% over A + 25% inventory .

Tools are good to have for stuff you don't have because you just never know when you're going to add a cartridge ......... Or make brass .

Refresher #3
    There's no such thing as an excess of 06' family brass if you own anything with a .471-.475 head and rim .

If you think you have enough you should probably have at least one more of each .

During the 09' mess I parted with several pounds of powder that I bought because the shop was locking the doors . I could have tripled maybe quaded my money but I instead sold it for the marked price which was probably 135% of what I had actually paid but probably under market value by 10% .

I went to 5+ toy stores in the area in the last few weeks . 12ga is available if you're not fussy about shot sizes .
    RF nope . Any common cartridges , nope . Components ...let's say the dust had back filled the the boxes voids to a point that it's questionable as to whether or not there was stuff on the shelf .

I'm not really a hoarder but I have enough groceries to hold me for 2 months , 4-5 if I suppliment with yard/local flora and fauna and not lose any weight .
    At this point range days are more dependant on time , the desire to go , and gas money than inventory A and I don't see that changing in the near future .
    I don't think any of it is enough and I don't know how I could make it mobile so it's looking more like a tick digging in every day . More because I'm reaching the age of come and get it , if you make it past the bear trap you can have it , but it's going to hurt a lot .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave18 View Post
    Was the surprising numbers of shooters and reloaders that never seem to learn from the past, then expect people to sell them stuff dirt cheap even in the middle of a shortage,, ��
    Yep

So little shooting is necessary, and so they are whining about not being able to have fun. The older complainers are the worst and most pathetic because they should know better. I have and will help those who deserve help....but that is based on my judgement.

If someone has a half a dozen or more guns and no primers or powder, they have made poor choices...and not for just a few months.

A person “needs” a .22 rifle, CCW pistol, 12 ga and CF rifle....and four year supply of ammunition and/or components for each. Anything else is a want

BTW, today I sold 40k primers. Every buyer was happy to pay $90-100/1000. The minimum order was $1000 so I did not have to deal with people who think $60/1000 is outrageous or want a couple of hundred. 2 of the 3 buyers want more if I decide to sell more.

What I found refreshing was that each person was above average. All were competitive shooters who knew their stuff and one was buying for a commercial reloader. Not one person complained about the price and two asked me if they could purchase more.

If I had posted those prices on this site, I would have been ostracized by a handful of the resident whiners. I saw that happen a few weeks ago to two guys here...lesson learned.

Stop complaining about cost. Stop or reduce your shooting for now. Prices are high due to the market. Wait it out, or get out of the sport if you are unable or unwilling to plan for shortages. Those who planned are under no obligation to fund your fun at the range. If you get pissed off with reality, vote for Democrats so no one else can shoot either.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

This current ammo shortage has taught me nothing.

Side note: has anyone seen the current fleabay auctions on Lee's Turret Presses?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I gave it some reflection and I agree. I apologize for my remarks to all.

I also have realized there is, and been the recipient of, great generosity here.
    Bazoo…. I don't think you owe anyone any apologies, and don't get baited into it. Yeah...some here have sold for a profit(including me), some have given freely(including me), some have been recipients of amazing gifts(including me) and some have traded fair and square(including me), etc, etc.. You didn't say EVERY person here was in it for profit....you said some, which will hold true for any assembly of people, anywhere, anytime. Don't apologize for being human..... WE do all share that here.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Bazoo…. I don't think you owe anyone any apologies, and don't get baited into it. Yeah...some here have sold for a profit(including me), some have given freely(including me), some have been recipients of amazing gifts(including me) and some have traded fair and square(including me), etc, etc.. You didn't say EVERY person here was in it for profit....you said some, which will hold true for any assembly of people, anywhere, anytime. Don't apologize for being human..... WE do all share that here.
    Thanks. I felt ill about my comments. At the least I should have kept my opinions to myself. I've sold for profit. I bought a couple gym mirrors once, for 15 dollars. I resold them for 170. Course we wernt in the middle of a mirror shortage.

Guess I feel that we reloaders should stick together and help one another.

Money isn't my motivator in life though.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the same policy that I have always used in panic buying times when I am asked to sell some of the supply I have built up. If I sell it will be at the current replacement cost OR it will be a loan to be replaced at an agreed time. The exception in small quantities to true friends. If they need a box of ammo to go hunting or for self defense I just give it to them.

If I loan components when the agreed upon replacement time comes I don't care if the borrower pays $10 per thousand thousand primers/$10 pound for powder or a $1,000. Someone's lack of planning/willingness to sacrifice doesn't constitute an emergency on my part.

I drive a 15 year old truck for a reason. I don't go out to the bars like most of my friends for a reason. I don't purchase reloading components for resale and for me too afford them I sacrificed not having something else.

Through the various panics I have been asked to sell components at least 50 times. I have loaned a couple of 8 lbs of powder for a year that were replaced a year later, I have given away some for friends in need and I have made some trades but in all the times asked no one has wanted to pay the current replacement cost.

Some have not been happy with me but they are the same ones driving a new vehicle every year, have all the fun toys and are always dropping lots of money the bars and restaurants. They have different priorities than I do.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-28-2020 at 03:46 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I learned that 25k primers is not enough. I’m going to up my game to a few hundred K. I’m set on brass, lead, powder, projectiles, and such, but I will buy more powder and more primers for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Some people are never going to learn.

Boolit Master
    I am right proud I saw the handwriting on the wall back last Spring and started getting back into casting, not that I had ever done near as much as I do now. I figured that reloading components would be the first casualty. I was in pretty fair shape on everything except for the pistol bullets I shoot more of than anything else" 32's, 38's, and 44's. Just cast a goodly amount (by my standards) of 44's yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240 gr 430 lee cast 12 27 20.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	274095
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Stockpile THEN sell high.

Boolit Buddy

Every shot matters.

Even if you aim for perfection, you might have to settle for great.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Grand Master

What ammo shortage? I have a whole closet full ! Did I miss it again!

In 1975 I started putting away 22's when they came on sale. Last shortage I was shooting ammo marked 7.50 a carton and now I am down to 12.99 a carton. My centerfire ammo is all cast except for duty ammo and that is supplied. But I keep a years worth of food on hand too. Remnants of Grandparents who lived through the 30's.