Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?

What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?

This isn't my first time to experience a shortage of ammunition or reloading components. I've been through several shortages and learned my lesson.

What has the current lack of loaded ammunition and/or reloading components taught you?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

It taught me how foolish folks are paying gouger prices. I went to the gun club today. And shot 100 rounds. And was thinking boy im glad i stocked deep since the last shortage.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Been playing this game since the early 70's. This one is nothing new so can't say I've learned anything from this one. Save your pennies and purchase in volume when prices are low.

I've been poor to the point I mostly lived mostly on rice and for a weekly treat (if I could afford it) I would get one 16 oz. bottle of Coca Cola on Friday night. Still always manage to put a dollar or two a week away for primers and powder.

Currently I have a neighbor that wants me to sell him powder and primers at last years prices yet he claimed he couldn't afford to be part of any off the large volume group purchase that I offered him when prices were low with free shipping and no hazmat. He spends $10 a day on coffee and $60 to $100 dollars a week in the bar. His and my priorities are different.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-23-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

When you can, when price and budget allows, stack deep, wide and high.

When you can't, don't shoot as much. Save your stash for if you need it.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    When you can, when price and budget allows, stack deep, wide and high.

When you can't, don't shoot as much. Save your stash for if you need it.
    That says it for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master
    "What has the current ammunition shortage taught you?"

Nothing that the last shortages didn't. I started loading during a shortage and never forgot.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

I've probably not learned anything from this shortage. But I learned from the first one that I experienced many years ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I am stocked up, for how much I shoot.
    With the shortage there has not been any change here
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Boolit Master

I learned long ago, waste not, want not. When the iron is hot, strike. The supply is there, buy. Old adages I heard from parents and grandparents. I been doing this for a long time. Got out of it for a period, got back in it. Couple of buddies and I made volume buys of primers and j-bullets. Still got a lot of them. Ran across some unbelievable deals on stuff from time to time. Sold excess here and other places. Kept a lot of old, good molds. Have plenty of stuff. Don't need to load anything, just need more range time. Going to give a friend, one of the buddies in the volume buys, above, 700 SR primers. Got a couple bricks left.
    Last edited by gbrown; 12-24-2020 at 12:00 AM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    Nothing ever changes. I would never use my last box of ammo or my last tray of primers for practice. Keep a reserve. I have a case of .223 and a case of 9mm that I hope to never use. I have 240 rounds of 7.62 x 39 that I have no gun for that I offered for sale at a reasonable price with no takers. I guess it will hang around for a while.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I've learned I'm better prepared than maybe I thought I was. I've felt no panic whatsoever. I did, finally, actually do a real inventory just to see if I had any real needs. Found a few soft spots and immediately set out to trade what I had in excess for what I felt I needed to feel secure. Most were minor quantities.....but a couple did surprise me how low I actually was. All good now.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Personally? Nothing I didn't learn from prior shortages. But reading here has shown me that some folks won't learn but from bitter first hand experience, despite advice from those who have gone through the pain already. And I had my opinions reinforced about human greed, panic and hoarding.

I do feel for the brand new reloaders who had no chance to learn and those truly strapped for cash who had no resources to spare on stocking up. These last folks I might help out. The ones who could have been ready but weren't? Well, bluntly put, will they learn without the sting if somebody bails them out?

Boolit Buddy
    I was fortunate enough to start reloading in March of this year. The wife WAS against it, but she's ok with it now lol. I picked up a few revolvers and a couple carbines that were chambered in straight walled cartridges and started shopping HARD. Everytime I had spare money I was ordering something. I'm still shorter on jacketed bullets than I'd like to be and 10k more primers would be great but I can go to the range without having a nervous breakdown over dropping a box of ammo that's difficult or impossible to replace.

I tried to talk a couple friends into reloading but one didn't have time and the other said he couldn't afford it...
    Cargo

Boolit Master

The current shortage has taught me how little has changed for me as I stock up when I can and when it is available , A year ago a lady in the local gun shop informed me in her high and mighty tone that her and her husband did not load 9mm as it was so cheap , I laughed and said it is cheaper for those of us who cast and load , and my bet is she and her husband are wishing they had bought more or reloaded it .

Saw 40 s&w plenty in stock early in the pandemic when 9mm was gone and now it is gone to , funny thing is I did not need any and did not buy any , I buy for what I load and for future shooting , same with other staples and consumable items , why go out if you do not need to .

Plan in advance , keep enough of what you need or use , would wish that this teaches everyone to plan and prepare .

Boolit Buddy
    Ain't taught me nuthin. I reckoned a long time ago that there'll come a time ...perhaps soon....that, out of desperation, it will take more than a twenty-dollar gold piece to buy a brick of 22lr, a 1000 primers, or a # of powder.

Boolit Master
    I started shooting on a regular basis in 2012 and was caught flat footed by the 2013 to 2016 shortage. My goal was to build a 4 year supply of components and I accomplished that last year. The new shortage has convinced my to build up an 8 year supply.

Boolit Master
    it hasn;t taught me much,people will procrastinate getting ready and way over pay for stuff,greedy people will gouge others bad in time of need.we now have 7-10 million new gun owners and that scares me,cause 1/2 atleast have never shot a gun before

Banned

The same thing the last one taught me, like everyone else posted above. Buy what you can/need when it is available and adjust usage when it isn't. My only problem this shortage was that I bought a new caliber right before it started, and just got what I needed before it hit. I had to get help for some small primers I need for some of that ammo, but I finally scored a brick, which will be more than enough. So now I'm trying to help a local guy who needs a very small amount to kind of PIF.

I learned that I wasn't crazy for buying 1000 primers every time I went to the gun store.

Boolit Master
    I always buy primers in the 10k carton to save a few bucks on the 1000 rate.....About a year ago ,LP primers were apparently overstocked ,and reduced a further $50 over the normal 10 k price......so I bought another 10k,and was wondering if Id ever use them all...(you can use LP in LR cases in most lever/BP guns.)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast