Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive press; which one?

Boolit Buddy

Progressive press for 357 Magnum; which one?

Considering progressive press. I would appreciate your help since my knowledge about them is minuscule, experience zero.

Anyhow, here are my requirements and wishes:

- Reloading 357 Magnum only, so I need complete setup for that round (for 44 Magnum, 455 Webley and rifle rounds I have Rock Chucker)
    - Automatic indexing
    - Powder checking station
    - I do not need case feeder
    - Would like (but not necessary) if standard dies could be used
    - Decent quality, "best bang for the buck"

Considering my shooting, I will be reloading up to 6000 a year.

Thanks for advice.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Onty; 12-26-2020 at 07:44 AM.

I have a Lee touret
    And a 650 Dillon
    The Dillon is the way to go. Bought my Dillon used after 12 years loading it was loose I shipped it back to Dillon and they sent me a brand new one I was so impressed I bought a nother one.
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Boolit Grand Master

I have 2 650s on my bench one dedicated to rifle and one to pistol rounds. They are very good machines. I do recommend the case feeder as then one hand is working the press and the other placing bullets. I also recommend extra primer tubes as you can have tubes filled ready to go. 10 tubes allows 1000 rds to be laded and your about readyfor a break then while you refill the tubes. Change over kits are reasonable and the machine is easy to swap from caliber to caliber.

I have heard a lot of good comments on the hornady machine but never ran one myself.So cant really comment on it.

The nice thing with the feeder is small cases dont present a handling problem as the feeder does it for you. I load 380s on mine occasionally and its no different than any others. On the single station those little cases gave me fits handling them. 32, 380, 9mm 38, 357 are all the same to the feeder.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using a Hornady LnL. It was the ONLY one on the shelf a week after Sandy Hook. I have been loading 45,9, and 380s. With great success. I do have Inline Fabrication led lights and Hornady Powder Cop to prevent under/over charges. So far no problems.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Hornady get good reviews from users, as do Dillon, of course. I have a 650 and am very happy with it. Prior to that I had a Lee Loadmaster, my advice is don't buy one. When it works it's great but you have to be prepared to tinker with it. The weak link is the primer feed system.

Banned
    DILLON - Done !

If you want automatic indexing you will need a 650 or a Square Deal B. The Square Deal uses proprietary dies so I feel one of the other machines is a better choice.

If you don't need automatic indexing, or you don't WANT automatic indexing - the 550 is the way to go. I prefer the 550 over the 650 because I don't find the auto indexing to be a useful feature (and yes, I've used both).

IMO, powder check is not needed. Pay attention to what you are doing and you'll be fine. In fact, the primer warning device on my 550 broke about 15 years ago and I threw it away; don't miss that either.

I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on a 550. The only thing better than a 550 is TWO 550's.

I've had most of the lee progressive presses, a Hornady projector and a LNL-AP with case and bullet feeders. I still have both hornady presses and only a Lee hand press along with a RCBS single stage. While 6000 a year isn't a great deal to load I'd still look at either the hornady or dillon 650/750 for ease of use. For a powder check die I really like the double alpha electronic check. It gives a loud audible beep and light if the charge is high or low and is easy to set up and is adjustable for sensitivity.

Boolit Master

I own SDBs from Dillon (5 so far)

If you don't have dies yet then the proprietary dies vs. other brands is a moot point--you have to have some no matter which way you go.

SDB will only do pistol so think 'down the road'--will you need rifle press some day?
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I like my Hornady AP. I've had a old Pro-jector, it was OK, but the new version is way better for primer feed,
    auto indexing and the new generation powder dropping thing.

I also like the way the support bar in front is offset at a angle.
    I don't use their powder cop, but I sit high enough to look down into auto-handgun cases to see for myself.
    As deep as a .357 case is, I'd get the powder cop.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Hello! if i were to be sure i was only going to load 357 mag i would buy a dillon sdb
    I have and enjoy the quality of dillon

With Hornady you can use the dies you already have, and if you decide to use it for other calibers the changeover is quick and easy.

Banned
    With Dillon you can use the dies you already have.

With Dillon you get a 100% guarantee.

With Dillon you get the best customer service in the industry.

With Dillon caliber conversions are relatively simple.

In regards to "thinking down the road", this hobby only leads in one direction - expansion of equipment, calipers, techniques and money.

And of course with Dillon you get that cool BLUE press, which everyone knows is the best color press.

Boolit Master

I have a Hornady LnL. As chsparkman said caliber change over is quick.

Boolit Buddy
    And Hornady's customer service is excellent! I've called to get a part (I) broke. Sent it to me free of charge.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DILLON XL650/750 by a mile

with the powder check system

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Mold
    I highly recommend Dillon, I started out with a 450 over 40 years ago, converted it to a 550, then recently sent it back for a rebuild and they ended up sending me a brand new 550b, damn awesome customer service!

Boolit Master

A question that is asked every week on one or more of the reloading forum sites.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ht=progressive
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master
    650/750 Dillon. Add the case feeder .
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If he wants a powder check die and separate crimp he will have to have at least 5 stations if he wants to do the process on the press.

IDPA and IPSC guys shoot thousands of rounds a year. In the IDPA yearly magazine, they list equipment. With a rare exception, they are using Dillon.

Think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast