Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Swedish Mauser

Boolit Buddy

New to me Swedish Mauser

I picked up a 1920 Carl Gustave Swedish Mauser yesterday. Overall very good to maybe excellent condition depending on who's grading it. Bore is mirror bright. It came with 4 boxes of modern factory ammo and a nice hard shell case. Price out the door was $700. I've been wanting one for awhile but never found one that meet the price/condition requirements. I'm heading to the range later today and will take a few pics.

Does anyone have any pet loads for a sweed? I've got 80 rounds of factory ammo which will turn into enough brass to last the rest of my life.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Boolit Master
    My truck gun is a Gustave carbine made in 1915. My load for a couple of decades is 39 grains of IMR 4064 and the Hornady 129 gr Interlock ( safe in my rifle may not be safe in yours). I clocked it on my lab radar at 2550 FPS from the 17.7” barrel just this week. It’s accounted for a bunch of white tails and coyotes with that load.

Great rifles! is yours a full length or short rifle? We'll be anticipating seeing your photos!

DG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005126.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	273821

Banned
    1917 Carl Gustav, It's a fine shooter with PPU ammo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8695.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	273827

Boolit Master
    As one might expect, I've done well with 129 and 140 grain bullets. I was surprised how well my M96 shot light 85 grain bullets I had on hand. I used 4895 in below-maximum loads. If your rifle has the original sights it will probably shoot high (may shoot very high) even at 50 and 100 yds. so have enough paper above the target to catch high shots. I'm sure you will end up likeing the Swede. It's a pleasure to shoot and accurate.

A taller front sight is a must have item for hunting. My brother did very well on silhouettes with his stock Carl Gustav 29" m96 using IMR 4064 and 139 gr Hornady bullets. I cut my Orbendorf m96 down to 23" and sporterized it. Strangely enough, one of my best loads was a compressed load of H870( obsolete) with the classic Hornady 160 gr round nose. The Swedish Mauser is definitely top shelf. We paid $49.95 plus tax for ours in the 1980s.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Be aware that not all brass is to Swedish Specs. Norma CA have case head size 0.476" while most others Remington, Winchester, PMC use their standard brass 0.472" which in full power loads will cause head separation.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

As stated above, try to stay with European manufactured cases like PPU or Lapua for correct case head dimensions.

The Swedish Surplus m/41 ammo duplicating load is a 140 bthp with 44.5 gr of R22. It is lights out accurate and at the 2600 FPS of there surplus ammo. 140gr bthp and 38.5 of IMR4350 is a good 200 yd plinking load.

I’m just starting to cast for them and they are definitely finicky with cast given the fast barrel twist.

I’m addicted to them

Nice collection, Stewbaby!

DG

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    I've always gotten great accuracy with 140gr SMK's + Imr 4895(37.5)When I started loading it wasn't considerred hot but now
    Hodgdon says its close to max ,.. but then list a higher max with the 142gr bullet(doesn't make sense to me)

BULLET WEIGHT
    140 GR. SPR SP
    IMR IMR 4895 0.264" 3.030" 34.5 2,364 38,900 CUP 37.8 2,550 45,500 CUP

BULLET WEIGHT
    142 GR. SIE HPBT
    IMR IMR 4895 0.264" 3.050" 35.0 2,416 40,000 CUP 38.3 2,574 45,700 CUP

Boolit Buddy
    Typically I forgot to take any photos. I had a friend with me and was playing with the chronograph. Overall, I think I'm in love with my swede. It took two shots to get the hold under for the 100 yard range. Once I had the hold under hitting what ever I wanted was trivial firing from sandbags. I put one box of Winchester and one box of S&B through the rifle. Thanks for the tip on US produced brass being a bit smaller than spec. I'm going to neck size only since this is the only 6.5x55 I have. The rifle is full length and is in original military configuration. It's without a doubt the highest quality military Mauser I've ever owned.

Sight info (if you are about 9” high at 100yds, you probably have a ‘0’ marked front sight blade and probably need a ‘+1.5’)

Boolit Master
    Interesting tread. Was trying to explain the brass to a guy he wouldn't listen.

What a fair price for these?

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I paid $700 for my VG to EXC example in original condition. This came with 80 rounds of commercial ammo. They generally fetch $$$.

Later,
    Stephen

New to me Swedish Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    ...What a fair price for these?
    A typical m/96 or a m/38 converted from a m/96 (CG or OB manuf) had been $450 to 550. A typical Husqvarna m/38, 550 to 650. A typical m/94, $1,200, s m/94-14, $900A. A m/41B sniper, $2500 to $3000. Stock wood, unique year, SA marks, unit disc, etc can add value. Now a days, hard to say...it’s a sellers market for sure.

Boolit Master
    6.5 for sure is a good round. I think I'm going to like to shoot.

Boolit Mold
    They are ice to shoot, fairly mild for recoil and pretty darned accurate!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    As stated above, try to stay with European manufactured cases like PPU or Lapua for correct case head dimensions.

The Swedish Surplus m/41 ammo duplicating load is a 140 bthp with 44.5 gr of R22. It is lights out accurate and at the 2600 FPS of there surplus ammo. 140gr bthp and 38.5 of IMR4350 is a good 200 yd plinking load.

I’m just starting to cast for them and they are definitely finicky with cast given the fast barrel twist.

I’m addicted to them

The one on the left is a.....well it might be a CG63 might it not? I've wanted one for years and have been so close to getting one too many times. What a rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    The one on the left is a.....well it might be a CG63 might it not? I've wanted one for years and have been so close to getting one too many times. What a rifle!
    Correct, it’s a CG-63. I’ve not tried cast in it yet but it’s lights out accurate with some 120 smk and R22. SimpsonLTD has some now for some decent prices if you’re wanting one.

Boolit Master
    I try extremely hard not to look at Simpson's! Yeah, I definitely knew what it was and was just joking.

Oh well, if I'm lucky Simpson's website won't load and I won't be able to find the CG's....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast