Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder no longer made

Moderator Emeritus

I like AL-7
    I use a Ken Waters Pet load of AL-7 in 41 mag...supposedly it's identical to a "Factory Load" of some brand of ammo.
    It's a real good load with a standard weight boolit...I can say it's my favorite.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I was running low on 2400 so when I did my last order a few years ago I added a 8lb jug. Then about a couple days before the powder order was supposed to show up, a fellow member of our gun club calls me up and asked me if I still had the stock another member gave me. told him I still had it and he asked what I wanted for it. Since it was given to me he could have it for what I paid for it. Nothing as in free. He shows up an hour later and had the stock ready for him. He hands me a bag full of unopened round cardboard containers of 2400 and one sealed can of IMR 4227. Needless to say I've enough 2400 till they shovel the dirt over me. Frank

Boolit Master
    How about Reloder 11?

Another member bought out much of an estate which had several cans of that number.

I have produced some good accurate loads in .204 Ruger (though I am using a stuffed case of RL 15 now to great effect) and good accuracy in .223 and 55 gr.

I have seen good performance with 35 Rem and the 200 gr RCBS powder coated with RL 11 but I need to do some more testing there.

If you have some then the 1971 (?) edition of the Sierra manual has quite a few loads for that obsolete powder. Also I have that manual so if someone needs some info on it, PM me.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    W 230P is very close to w231, maybe just a touch faster. I bought 8 or ten lbs of it from a friend about 40 years ago and used it and then switched to w231 and didn't notice much difference.

Boolit Grand Master

Instead of trying to find some "conversion" look at "old" reloading manuals .
    I bought several cans of AL-5 , "back in the day" (it's still good) and use the data from Speer Reloading Manuals #8 (1970) and Speer Reloading Manual #9 (1974)... the Handgun Section is filled with Alcan data in both of them . I'm sure other manuals from 1970 - 1974 era would have Alcan data also . In 2013 shortage I loaded some 158 gr. SWC 38 special w/ AL-5 and they shot like a champ !

Something to be said for keeping/ collecting old reloading manuals ... when you get some old powder ...
    You Got Data!

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Instead of trying to find some "conversion" look at "old" reloading manuals .
    I bought several cans of AL-5 , "back in the day" (it's still good) and use the data from Speer Reloading Manuals #8 (1970) and Speer Reloading Manual #9 (1974)... the Handgun Section is filled with Alcan data in both of them . I'm sure other manuals from 1970 - 1974 era would have Alcan data also . In 2013 shortage I loaded some 158 gr. SWC 38 special w/ AL-5 and they shot like a champ !

Something to be said for keeping/ collecting old reloading manuals ... when you get some old powder ...
    You Got Data!

Gary
    I was gifted an unopened 3 lb can of AL-5. Worked up a real good 38spc. load with 158gr. Lee RFN. Very consistent and meters well, burns clean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12