RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt shopping turned into a 1985 Redhawk.

Boolit Master

Colt shopping turned into a 1985 Redhawk.

I went to take a look at a Colt Sheriff. Well it's a collectible,not a shooter. Even the manual warns about the value loss if fired - and it was fired,dirty and leaded already.

Then they showed me a Redhawk... I had NOE expander plugs to check the throats, they were .432" !!! A clean gun from the 80's. Just feels right,like a real gun. No S&W SA trigger but no S&W problems either. Price was 1/4 of the Colt...

I've never had a Redhawk before , only a SBH, so I couldn't resist, this followed me home. My collectible Colt plan turned into a practical shooter. And I don't collect anything,I shoot.

Now I've cleaned carbon from the cylinders and copper from the .430" (slugged) barrel. Waiting for some daylight to go shooting my .432" bullets... I already load .432" for a 629 and a 29-3 ... I didn't feel any barrel constrictions when tapping the slug through. There is quite a bit of rifling left,even the forcing cone tool marks.

Now some daylight,please.

Boolit Master
    One thing I learned from my Redhawk those skinny factory grips allow the trigger guard to really whack your finger on recoiling. I ended up getting a set of Pachmayer Deaccelerator grips for it. Made a big difference. Now it sits in my safe since I bought three different S&W N frames in 44 special. Frank

Boolit Master
    I only tried my soft lead mild loads 255 grn / 1070 fps. All good.

Feels like a 22. Clean barrel, absolutely great luck with throat/barrel sizes.

Quite a bit of solid tool-like gun for the money! SA trigger is just fine for winter/gloves use,accuracy was reasonable on paper to start with. Like ten shots in 6" / 25 with bad surprise backache...

Boolit Master

NICE!

The trick to triggers on DA Rugers is to strip the gun down per instructions, flush out the guts with Gun Scrubber or brake cleaner, excessively lube everything with CLP, then reassemble and dry fire the beejeezus out of it. After a few hundred to a thousand "clicks", repeat if necessary, then re-lube more sensibly and enjoy. The result isn't quite a Python, but it's not ashamed not to be one either. No need for spring kits.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Looks like the shot to the chrony was not fatal, you would think those rods would be harder to hit. What is the "325" on the chony screen, was that what was recorded on the shot that winged it? I have the same Ruger, need to get a powder to shoot the "tamed-down" loads, what powder do you use? Looks like the first owner treat it as a collector. Good find if the price was right in this environment.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned
    He's in Finland - that 325 is Meters per Second, not feet per second.

Banned
    I've always been a fan of Ruger DA revolvers. They are well made and good values.
    A little judicious polishing/cleaning/lubricating of the action will do wonders for most of them. Occasionally spring kits and shims will be helpful.
    Some of the Redhawks had a slight issue with barrels departing the frames due to some assembly issues but Ruger corrected that. It's complicated but it was the result of a particular assembly lube used at the factory, an overzealous employee and corrosion cracking. The problem was addressed and Ruger will make it right if you have an issue.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Looks like the shot to the chrony was not fatal, you would think those rods would be harder to hit. What is the "325" on the chony screen, was that what was recorded on the shot that winged it? I have the same Ruger, need to get a powder to shoot the "tamed-down" loads, what powder do you use? Looks like the first owner treat it as a collector. Good find if the price was right in this environment.
    That chrono hit happened many moons ago,it was a 22 LR @ 100 meters.

325 is meters pers second,equaling 1060 fps.

I bought a used sheriff model colt a few years ago before the pricing went crazy. It’s a fun shooter for cowboy action matches and with light cowboy loads in 44 special.

Boolit Buddy
    Ever since I got my Ruger GP100 MC (357), large bore revolvers have been calling my name. Cant decide between 44mag / 45LC / 454 / 460. Its more like lets see how much money I can save up.

Boolit Master
    I own a few Redhawks,, and you have found a good one. KUDOS!!!!!!!!
    They are shooters.

And the quote; "Some of the Redhawks had a slight issue with barrels departing the frames due to some assembly issues but Ruger corrected that. It's complicated but it was the result of a particular assembly lube used at the factory, an overzealous employee and corrosion cracking. The problem was addressed and Ruger will make it right if you have an issue.'

I'm the guy that had the very first barrel separate form a frame. Caused a lot of serious study, confusion etc at first. It also caused Ruger to develop the Super Redhawk,, thinking the frame needed beefing up.
    But,, it was the lube,, being applied to the threads of barrels,, then left sitting,, for an extended period,, that caused the issues. It took a few years of study to figure that one out. LUCKILY,, very, very few of these guns had barrels treated that way.
    But to show you how comfortable I am about it all,, the back story on my gun a bit.
    Gun shop got in 4 Redhawks. (2) in 44 mag, and (2) in 357. My buddy & I bought 3 of the 4, as the 4th, a 357 was spoken for. I had my 44 barrel separate, and I've shot my buddies .44 a lot. No problems. And, the replacement .44 is just fine. I also still have & shoot that 357.

Great looking gun...I would say I am jealous Petander but as you know, I picked up my Redhawk about a day before you...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I replace the metal rods with wood dowel rods so a hit does not kill the housing. I always wanted a 41 mag redhawk, never found one.

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I put a Colt Anaconda down and picked up a Redhawk, the Redhawk felt better. The Anaconda and the Redhawk are in the same category. I’m a Colt’s fan but that Redhawk is the greatest.

I have a relative that is an engineer, he can build a factory from the ground up and program all the CNC machines to manufacture any part the Boeing Aircraft Company could order. He went shopping for handgun and decided on the Redhawk.

Boolit Master
    That looks just like my favorite handgun. Bought mine in 1991 (used) at a gunshow. It had some silly phony ivory grips that I replaced with some pachmyers. I liked this one so well I bought a second one in case I wore out the first one. Unfortunately the second was the "super redhawk" and although it has exactly the same cylinder (.432) and bore (.430) dimensions I just don't like the looks as well as the real redhawk. And I don't seem to be in any danger of wearing out the first one -- still as tight and nice as the day I bought it and for the first ten years I owned it it got only full-bore (plus a little extra) loads.

Congrats on acquiring the perfect big-bore handgun.

Is it only with the super red hawk that the forcing cone can be changed? That’s the first part of a magnum barrel that wears out with continual magnum usage.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations. I owned one back around 1984. A fine revolver.

Long before Ruger quality control went into the toilet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I bought a used sheriff model colt a few years ago before the pricing went crazy. It’s a fun shooter for cowboy action matches and with light cowboy loads in 44 special.
    I was thinking CAS as well. This was s 45 LC.

But there isn't hardly any rifling or forcing cone and the trigger was horribly creepy. No CIP proof stamp either.

They wanted 1850 € for it, you can get five 80's Redhawks for that. Of course they are completely different guns but I prefer shooters. That Redhawk just jumped on the desk saying "Take me home with you".

Boolit Grand Master
    I suddenly have a desire to finally replace my 5½" Redhawk that I foolishly let go for some non remembered want.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Nice score. I would have bought it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast