Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primer Storage Solutions?

Boolit Master

Primer Storage Solutions?

With the primer shortage recently I've been picking up what I can find for a reasonable price, which means instead of having a single box full of CCI bricks with a few loose 100 packs, I have tons of different 100 packs of varying sizes and shapes to store.

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to store all the loose, variously-sized packs of primers, and I haven't come up with a good solution yet.

I keep powder in a separate, wood cabinet, and keep the primers in ammo cans on the bottom shelf of a locking, metal cabinet where my gunsmithing tools are. But stacked in an ammo can I have to take a bunch out to get to the ones I want.

Anyone have a good solution for primer storage? Even if it's a DIY cabinet or box, I'm willing to build to get something that's convenient and safe.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I use the small ammo cans and rubber band like box's together . But still have to do a bit of digging. I have them in the house and prefer ammo cans when possible.
    I look forward to hearing other ideas .

Boolit Master
    My brother does woodworking as a hobby, and he's pretty good at things like walnut jewelry boxes and stuff, so if I give him a challenge he'll definitely take it up. But I'm at a loss for a good, convenient design that doesn't end up the size of a bookshelf.

Boolit Master

I use a big Igloo cooler.

Boolit Master
    I have thought that a container that is open on the sides for loading the primer boxes with a handle on top could be built that would set into a 50 cal ammo can might be handy but have not taken the time to put plans together to build one. I may pursue if my currant system gets to annoying

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    With the primer shortage recently I've been picking up what I can find for a reasonable price, which means instead of having a single box full of CCI bricks with a few loose 100 packs, I have tons of different 100 packs of varying sizes and shapes to store.

I'm trying to find a reasonable way to store all the loose, variously-sized packs of primers, and I haven't come up with a good solution yet.

I keep powder in a separate, wood cabinet, and keep the primers in ammo cans on the bottom shelf of a locking, metal cabinet where my gunsmithing tools are. But stacked in an ammo can I have to take a bunch out to get to the ones I want.

Anyone have a good solution for primer storage? Even if it's a DIY cabinet or box, I'm willing to build to get something that's convenient and safe.

You will need to start by sorting all the boxes of primers by brand and type. Then tie them together and put each brand and type in it's own box or carton(even tupperware will work for this). Make sure to label the containers. If you label the ends of the containers, you can stack them and read what is inside.
    If you are short of shelf space, a tote or large cooler would do the job. Place the containers on end and you can read the labels.

My wife’s uncle used an old dead fridge to store primers and powder in his basement. I have a small chest freezer that I removed the base from [that housed the mechanics of it] and then set it on a 2x6 frame with dolly wheels for extra store bought ammo. It lives under my work bench in my shop. My bricks of primers are in sealed bags in my old gun safe in the house. A hint for your primer and powder storage, date them as you buy them so you can rotate your stock and use the oldest first. And keep a key sheet so as you consume them you cross them off the list. My list is stuck to the safe with a magnet. The bricks of primers that I’m currently using are on a shelf in my reloading room, SR-LR-SP-LP.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 12-21-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Some of the stores I've bought pads from have the sleeves taped with scotch tape. If taped, they can be stored in whatever without fear if them getting scattered.

Boolit Master

I throw mine on a basement shelf. Cool and dry, no worries. They set w/ the powder.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Sort them by type, then take them out of the packaging and put them in baby food jars with labels, makes storage a lot easier.

Ok, I’m kidding.

If you’re storing the 100 packs that are the current win/cci/s&b size then just build a box that looks like a scaled-down cd box. Put the primer boxes in on edge so you can read the label. Put a sliding top on it if you want, and if you really want to go crazy put a rebate on the upper edge that fits into the bottom so you can stack them.

Another way to visualize it is a drawer to a card catalog, but you said no cabinet.

I keep most of mine in 5 drawer lateral file cabinets, but there are the 10-20k that I’m working with kept in aero bins by type in the reloading room.

There is no advantage to keeping them in an ammo box other than that it’s easy to pick up and move around.

Store them in the bottom of the brass they were made to be in.

My loading area is in my basement where it is always cool and dry. I built two sets of heavy duty shelves from 2X4 lumber and half inch plywood with plenty of braces and support.
    The shelves hold my cast boolits on one set and my primers and 22lr ammo on the other set. My powder is scattered around on other shelves so it isn't all in one spot.
    Loaded ammo goes into boxes stored in totes that fit under the bottom shelf. Each tote holds a different rifle caliber. Pistol ammo is stored in 20cal and 50cal ammo cans, sealed, labeled, and stacked under the other set of shelves.

Gotta love those ammo cans. The seals work really well. I had 5 of them under water for 4 straight days due to a heavy rainstorm in a house I lived in before I retired. Nothing got the least bit wet. All the ammo worked as intended.

Boolit Master
    I've got a pretty good system for most of it. In the pics below I've got dirty brass in the black plastic bins, deprimed and various stages of cleaning in translucent bins,

the shelf is full of primed brass ready to load and bullets both cast and commercial (with my casting and coating gear below it),

and then smaller bins of loaded ammo for the bulk stuff.

Precision rifle I keep in the boxes as sets, whether dirty or cleaned and primed (I mark the boxes with how many times they've been sized and whether it was full-length or neck only).

I have a separate, locking cabinet with all my tools, dies, etc, and loaded ammo, and I keep my primers in there. 10k primers easily fit in a .30 ammo can when it was mostly bricks of CCI and Rem, but the Federal packaging is something like 4 times larger than CCI, and almost half of my primers are Federal right now.

I'm thinking something like card file drawers might be the best way to mix these different sizes and keep them organized. I'm tiring of having to take a few dozen packs out to get what I'm looking for, and then have to figure out how to stack them back in there.

Moderator Emeritus

I am in the process of finally unpacking everything and organizing. Even then I doubt I will be as organized as some here. My primers are still in the original 1,000 boxes. I did manage to drop a 100 box and found all but three. Look again this morning when I try and get more work done.

Boolit Master
    Why not just stack them on a shelf like they would be in a store?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    i keep all my primers in 50cal plastic mtm ammo cans sorted by manufacture and type and loaded ammo in 50cal and 30cal ammo cans in crates and use a few silica packs in each

Boolit Master
    when I started gettin g real serious in reloading a lot of different calibers I would get several hundred of different brands and types of primers, because different reloading data called for different brand primers, and stored them in cardboard boxes that would fit inside a drawer. I would put all the primer pkgs on edge so I could see what they were. still have a couple of those old boxes for stray 100 packs. had an old dresser I used for storage and organization of stuff in my first real reloading room

Boolit Grand Master

I store mine in their original boxes stacked on shelves. I try to keep size, type and brand together.

Boolit Buddy

I use 2 old refrigerators (not working) one for powder & one for primers. Keeps moisture out, nice & dry.
    SEMPER FI remember you only have the "RIGHTS" you are willing to fight for & except for ending slavery, fascism, nazism, and communism, WAR has never solved anything!

Vegas Vince / NRA Benefactor / USMC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Why not just stack them on a shelf like they would be in a store?

Tim
    Don't be ridiculous , it's got to be better if it cost money and takes many hours to put together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast