RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer Storage Solutions?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Don't be ridiculous , it's got to be better if it cost money and takes many hours to put together
    My thought exactly, why buy something for $10.00 when you can build your own for $100.00.

Boolit Master
    I have limited shelf space right now, and the primers I have stacked in the cabinet now are taking up space I'd rather use for something else. And I'd like to be able to move them all easily, since I don't plan to stay in this house but a few more years.

Ammo cans work, but if what I need isn't on top I have to take a bunch out and then repack everything back in each time. It's not all that much effort, but I was wondering if one of you guys who have been doing this decades longer than I have had some simple, effective solution that I just haven't thought of.

Or if there was some existing box or rack that was just the right size, like a card file drawer or something. Or, you know, something like the old Saltines tins that just happen to fit (they don't, I checked).

Push comes to shove, I'll cobble something together, or maybe get my brother to put a box or drawer together that lets me pack them away efficiently, so I don't have to regularly unpack and repack them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Ammo cans work, but if what I need isn't on top I have to take a bunch out and then repack everything back in each time. It's not all that much effort, but I was wondering if one of you guys who have been doing this decades longer than I have had some simple, effective solution that I just haven't thought of.
    I used to have the same problem but then started sealing mine in those ziplock vacuum bags with a food saver vac. and then putting them in the ammo cans. There's enough excess bag at the top you can label and store them like files in a drawer. These are the leftovers after I ran out of cans.

I keep my stash in a couple of metal ammo cans. 50 cal models from mainly HF which are way better than the American made that Walmart used to stock (those had warped hinges and were pretty cheap junk). The best I found that the primer boxes fit into perfectly was a larger can that I bought from Academy. I haven't seen any available in 6 months, but they are slightly larger than 50 cal boxed and all the various primer boxes fit snug.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't like having my primers exposed to the air;
    Once when using some that were stored on a shelf for a long time,
    I noticed the edges of the priming compound turning dark and shrinking.
    They still worked, but it bothered me.

Now they are in plastic Seal-Rite type boxes with the four locking tabs on top,
    the size for storing pasta or cereal. Most of the containers will hold 8 bricks each.
    There is a container for bricks of each type, and a post-it note on each brick
    with the year purchased for rotating, which is just reverse stacking them in an empty.
    It's sad to look at the old price tags.

When I pull out a brick and start using it, it goes into a separate box marked "In Use"
    so that one is my go-to box with some of each and avoids digging through a bunch of different boxes.

This year I took inventory and made a spreadsheet to balance primers and j-words
    and make sure there are enough for shooting cast.

Boolit Mold
    I like large Akron bins for primers in my cabinet, east to just pull out the bin for that size primer etc. I assume ammo cans would work too.