Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: First PCP Airgun. Have a few noob questions.

Boolit Master

First PCP Airgun. Have a few noob questions.

Just getting my feet wet in this whole airgun thing.

After quite a bit of research and a number of youtube videos I took the plunge and ordered a Seneca 45cal air rifle. I plan to use this for hunting pigs and deer in the TX hill country area.

When it comes to casting for traditional (powder burning) firearms I have learned that bigger diameter is generally better for accuracy, and softer alloy is better than harder. Does this hold true for air rifles?

Most commercial pellets or bullets I see for air rifles do not seem to have any lube, while I understand lube might not be necessary has anyone tried? Any benefits to lube, or perhaps a coat like Hi-Tec, or perhaps paper patching?

On medium sized game what bullet weight/style have you found to be most effective? I have used muzzle loaders before and know a pure lead round ball can preform quite well, but am curious if I could expect the same results from an air rifle.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

Air guns mostly want a projectile just under bore size like .0005-.0015.

Some shooters are using light lube, most pellets come with some lube left over from swaging.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Airguns you might want slug that barrel to know exact diameter. No reason to shoot too wide bullet. NOE has quite nice sizing system which can attached example Lees press. So when you know barrel diameter you can size your casted bullet right diameter.Even if you plan to use commercial bullets like Hunter Supply or NSA slugs. If you gonna cast own bullets which is much cheaper. When I cast my bullets, I use pure Pb and 2% Sn alloy on my casting and it works for me. Usually that is also thing that you might want to test. Some airguns like little harder alloy some soft. Usually under 10 BHN. When sizing I use dry silicone spray (CRC) for lube. It helps for sizing and prevents leading on barrel.
    Me thinks that right diameter after slugging barrel you just need to test which diameter gives best results. You will noticed if you shoot chrono. If it is too wide it drags on barrel and if it too small it blows past bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    AOA suggests using lube if you are shooting above 900 FPS. Lube will make your barrel easier to clean
    N and sometimes keep it cleaner longer.

i give my 25 cal JSB pellets a very light coating of ballistol , i was concerned that they should be lubed, i have not any issues even when taking on a herd of 60-70 starlings , pigeons etc i am using a FX royal pcp
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

According to PA the bore is Rifled barrel (0.4516" to 0.4567" diameter), if yours is the Seneca Big Bore 44 909 Light Hunter.
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Senec...ght_Hunter/394