Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on 327 Federal and 357 Max Cast in 30"Bbl

Boolit Master
    Could a 327 keep this bullet supersonic to 100yds?
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-2-cavity-pb/

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Could a 327 keep this bullet supersonic to 100yds?
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-2-cavity-pb/
    Without a doubt.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    327 federal mold options

1. Generic throat for all pistol type bullets that have a SWC style front driving band. This is proven but not expecting stellar accurracy. Allows for many different molds to be used.

2. NOE 311-137-RF-CA3. This should work well. With a custom throat this is probably the only mold that will work.

3. Have a custom mold made for .2 held in case. NLG with .309 driving band .2 long Straight taper to .301 for .3" with a rounded nose and flat meplet. Using accurrate 31-125b as a starting point.

This would be very intresting. No real lead or freebore. The .3 of taper from .309 to .301 would work as about .8 ish degree leade. Seat the bullet right off the lands so it will be fully supported in .3 inch of Leade before it clears the case mouth.

If it works that's awesome. If it doesn't work then it's an expensive mistake....
    Last edited by GARD72977; 12-25-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    The 137 is a nose rider. These frequently do not work very well when powder coated.

What about the NOE 311-127-FN-L2 (https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ity-pb-311465/). It is in stock in as a PB in both 2 and 4 Cavity. This one has 5 very small grooves that should work pretty good as crimp grooves when using PC. Seating depth would be around 0.33" to the middle groove, or 0.25" to the next one down.

I loaded NOE's 0.1684 BC into Quick target.

With 1900 fps at the muzzle, estimated velocities were 1790 fps at 50 yds, 1683 fps at 100 yds and 1477 fps at 200 yds.

With 1800 fps at the muzzle, estimated velocities were 1693 fps at 50 yds, 1588 fps at 100 yds and 1386 fps at 200 yds.
    Last edited by P Flados; 12-25-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    And one more from NOE. This one is on the light side, but would probably work better than you might think and would definitely be cheap and easy to use.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-4-cavity-pb/

With only 1800 fps at the muzzle (mild load), it should retain an estimated 1597 at 100 yds.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=P Flados;5066720]The 137 is a nose rider. These frequently do not work very well when powder coated.

What about the NOE 311-127-FN-L2 (https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...ity-pb-311465/).

I have this mold.

Bore rides work great for me Powder Coated. The problem is most will not fit in the Throat because they are too large. If I'm having a reamer made I want the boreriding nose large so it engages the rifling.

Boolit Master
    All these designs have too much in supported nose weight.

These designs are made to fit existing throats. This does not promote accurracy.

Powder Coat works as a lube. I want as much of the bullet in the rifling as possible while still having a small nose

Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what you're lubing with but with a 30" tube you may run out of lube with a small, single groove 30 cal boolit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Powder coat

Boolit Master
    I also shoot a 32-20 schuetzen rifle with 30" bbl

Boolit Grand Master

I can't help with what bullet to use, but I would lean to something that does not have any bore riding nose. If you are only looking for a 120ish grain bullet, they are already rather stubby. I'd be looking at something more like the Accurate 31-120EG, and modified to suit your fancy.

You definitely want a leade into the rifling. A straight tapered entrance, forcing cone for lack of a better term, is not the way to go for accuracy. The Mountain Molds forum used to have a great write up from Dan, who tested a number of different styles. Since he retired last month, it appears the forum is now gone. That is too bad, that was a good read. Ultimately he found his best cast bullet accuracy was had with throat similar to most rifles, but with a very gentle leade into the rifling, I want to say around a 1 degree taper. So you do want some straight free bore, followed by a gentle taper to the rifling. You also want to size your bullets to match the straight sized free bore, so they are fully supported the whole way.

FWIW I've got a Stevens Model 47, 30" barrel chambered .32-20, which did very well thank you very much with the old traditional 3118 bullet, cast about BHN 14, lubed with NRA beeswax/alox, seated to just cover the second grease groove but not crimped. Weight 120 grains lubed. Charge was 8.7 grains 2400. Grouped around 3" at 100. Not bad for a 110-year-old barrel, tang-and-globe sights off an improvised rest and 70-year-old eyes. Fun to shoot, easy on the powder and lead stash.

No reason why a .327 Federal can't do the same or better, given that (according to the Internet) the powder space is about the same as the .32-20. Or you could crank it up using jacketed bullets, but why?

Neat feature of my PB load was that the muzzle pressure is very low as the bullet exits, so it was almost like I had a suppressor on it. This is not a rifle for subsonic loads however; I stuck bullets in the barrel trying.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12