RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Preferred 54r 215 grain powder

Preferred 54r 215 grain powder

I have a minty M39 sako that likes heavy Bullets. The 203 grain jacketed shoot real well and the 174 Bulgarian silver tip is all over the map. She slugs out at .310” so I had a local caster Make me up some 215 grain hard cast GC boolits. However I’m struggling to find some highlighted powders. My Lyman book stops at 200 grain. But I’m open to advice from real world experience. Accuracy is top priority over fun plinking.

Banned

Just use the 200gr data

I suppose this should have been in the cb loads for military rifles. I do have a pound of imr 4198 but I can’t find any data for 215 grain and I never have gone astray from book data. I could download from what the 200 grain data says as tomme boy mentioned. Is there a rule of thumb for such reductions?

Boolit Master
    I bet once Larry Gibson rings in on your thread , your questions will be answered

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    N550 for the 200 gr jacketed but I've not shot cast in my Mosins . Use the low load for the 200 grain load in your book as a starting point , 14 grains in a cast bullet ain't that much .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned

I shoot a 215gr bullet all the time. Use the 200gr data. Larry is not the know all about everything. By suggesting that he will give you the right answer you are telling everyone that everyone else is an idiot and not worth listening to.

Boolit Master

Sorry Tomme but it seems Larry owns this board. Once he gave the same answer as I did several posts later... guess which one was completely ignored? He also called me an idiot when I have lab experience and he has a cute little strain gauge. He once read the answer so I had to be wrong and an idiot.

One of the primary reasons I hardly post here any more. Too much cult of personality. If it didn't come out of Larry's custom barreled Springfield it doesn't exist.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Thanks for the advice guys. I run a few at the 200 grain load and see how she does. It’s a pretty decent spread between the starting and max for 4198 so should be right there.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use 220 gn data for a 230 boolit in 30-06 and it works fine.

Boolit Master
    16.0 2400?

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest you try 28.5 gr of 4895 with a dacron filler. I use that load under the 314299 and NOE copy with both bullets cast of #2 alloy weighing 204 gr fully dressed. That's what I use with my Sako M39 for CBA military rifle matches. Have won the state championship with it several times.

10 shots/100 yards shooting for score. First 8 shots in that one hole then I got cute with myself and held a tudge low with #9 going into the X. The tenth shot dropped low as I apparently held too low (6X max scope allowed) but fortunately it clipped the 10 ring for a 100 score.

Attachment 274562
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-03-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Is that imr 4895 Larry? Hell of a group btw. The Finns sure made some nice rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it is IMR4895 but H4895 does just as well.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

You are going to have to use some dacron if you use the 4895 load. Depending on the temp you shoot in you will have a hangfire without it. I found it was around 55*-60* is where it started to show up. You will find at least 2 nodes from 28-31gr of 4895. Just pick the one you want.

5744 powder is my favorite. 21gr actually. It shoots as good or better than Larry's Finn. It will shoot 10+ into an inch at 100 yds. And it is a regular 91/30 that had what believe was a unfired or less than 100 rounds fired barrel. The reamer marks were still visible on the throat and leade. It is a 1944 year. These were not used as they were mass producing the m44 and m38 to send to the front. The 91/30 were believed to be held back for guards and police use. Like the MO marked rifles.

So the Dacron is there just to keep the powder close to the primer for full ignition right? The 4198 is a similar weight charge does it require the same? Lyman book never mentioned it. Or is it more inclined to ignite over the the 4895? I have done some reading on the Dacron filler and checked what’s available for my area. Poly fill but I believe it’s different.

Boolit Master

Not 7.62X54R but I use 4198 with a dacron filler in my grand daughters 7MM-08.
    It is extremely accurate.