RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Disappointing Gun Show Today

Boolit Grand Master

Disappointing Gun Show Today

I missed the last one so went to this one. Not many people there and not much there. No powder of any type. The only primers I found were several boxes of Win LP and they wanted $150 each. Yes, $150. Needless to say they kept them. Ammo through the roof. For example a case of Wolf 223 was $650. $30 a box for 9mm and so on. Nobody was buying anything that I saw except knick knack stuff.

I bought a holster that was the same price as always from a local maker, 2 Mora knives for $9 each and over in the corner found a guy selling various stuff including reloading stuff he got in an estate sale. Got a 2C Lee 175gr 8mm mold for my Yugo in good shape for $20. Passed up the 2C 38 wadcutter as I've got it already but thought about getting it to pass on here. Lots of dies including some you don't see alot of. 218 Bee, 50-90 Sharps, 7mmBR, 25-20 etc. All in pretty good shape for $30. Again, thought of getting them and passing them on here as quite a few would be of use to someone I'm sure but again, left them sitting.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    That $30/box for 9mm around here would be a great price. Last I saw here, was $40. We had a "swap meet" at our gun club last weekend, bought 200 LP primers for $4/box. That was all the primers except for shotgun, which were also $4 a box. Did grab 3 boxes of 35 Rem for $30. Not used much around here.

Banned

Wish there had been a gun show around here this weekend, I love gun shows and haven't had one in a while.

I miss gun shows also, my wife and I went to the big Reno gun show twice a year at the Hilton, then Grand Sierra Resort. We could usually win enough at the tables to buy a couple firearms. There were always many local dealers that I was already on a first name basis with. Transactions were easy. One of my M1 Garands was paid for in 4 spins of the roulette wheel. Man we had fun.

Boolit Buddy
    No guns shows in my parts since March. Sure miss going. For all the stuff I could usually buy at the gun shows, online auctions on Icollector is what I have to work with. There are firearms and reloading goods of a type and vintage that just doesn't show up in most gun shops but you can find them at gun shows. Same as in the US prices on most things have gone crazy here in Canada. Between the political climate and covid things have changed for a bit.

Boolit Master
    I all but quit the gun show circuit about 10 years ago. Collector prices on pedestrian grade firearms, lots of t-shirts and other non-essential merchandise, frustration at never finding the dies or molds I wanted. If there was nothing to buy it was still fun to visit with long time friends who showed up, buyers and sellers alike. Now the number of those people has hit the lowest level ever and that takes the last of the fun out of the program. I really miss the earlier times of having to decide which of the treasures to buy but now there are none. With the industry on its heels I can satisfy a need by shopping on the net and hopefully settling my needs there.

Boolit Bub
    jonp you missed the guy outside selling 556 greentips (used a sharpe to color them) for 4.00$ each. That was just too funny.

Boolit Master
    I think most old people go to gun shows so they can complain about the prices. I dont miss going to them. To much crap being sold and used guns are always priced more than new.
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Grand Master
    I stopped going about 10 years ago. Was not worth the drive and no real bargains. I almost always bought something, but usually at about the same price or a bit more than buying on line. Going with a friend is fun. Grab lunch and BS.

I had planned to set up a table at a show this year, but Covid has cancelled them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The end of good milsurp imports sure put a hurting on gun shows.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lostchild0 View Post
    jonp you missed the guy outside selling 556 greentips (used a sharpe to color them) for 4.00$ each. That was just too funny.
    That would have made the trip worth it
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I really miss gun shows, too. The last one in my area was last February when I found an unfired Octagonal 10" Contender 30/30 barrel with fore-end for $100. Ran like a thief before the owner could change his mind. It is a sweet shooter with my Red Dot loads and 130 gr CB's.

Moderator Emeritus

I made it to three gunshows in 2020. They were all great shows. I suspect what makes a great show for one attendee and a "NOT WORTH IT SHOW" to another attendee, is all about expectations.

My only advice is to seek out small town shows with local promoters and avoid the Metropolitan shows with large Regional promoters.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001