Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New C Z 527 sporter ring height for 2 x 7 Leupold

Boolit Master

New C Z 527 sporter ring height for 2 x 7 Leupold

Hello All!
    My wife gave me a C-Z 527 sporter chambered in 6.5 Grendel, gotta love that woman! Several years ago I owned the same rifle chambered in .222 Remington. The .222 came with factory rings but my new 6.5 did not. Does anyone have advice on what height Burris or Leupold rings would be appropriate to keep a Leupold Vari-X-II 2 x 7 above the bolt handle? Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas to all.

Rick

FWIW

For 50% less than CZ rings, I ordered a set of Burris rings directly from Burris w/o specifying the height.

The rings fit perfectly, and there was N.P. mounting a 2x7 Leupold - the bolt handle cleared the scope.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have a 6.5 Grendel CZ527 with a Leupold 2.5-8 mounted on it.
    If you can find a set of Burris rings for it, that would be my first choice.
    The other "factory" rings are huge, heavy chunks of steel that are unneeded brick on a light rifle.

Boolit Master

After a bit of research on the Burris rings it appears they only offer one height, so I guess medium it is!
    Thanks for your replies!
    Rick

Unless you wanna buy a custom handle (forget the name of the company) you're forced to go with a bit taller rings for clearance. Even a scope with a straight tube needs one as the ocular won't clear the handle. But as said above, go Burris.

Ajohns, your information on the handle height/ocular interference is dated. Older 527s have that issue, anything newer than ~2012 production that issue has been "fixed" by CZ. 6.5 Grendel is a recent chambering and RickinTN should have no issues.

I do think you are right, though, about the handle length, depending on scope selection. I had an issue with the little knob close to my oversized scope and my fat thumbs.

FWIW, CZ-USA has the newer handles for sale if you don't want to chop/grind the old/tall one down. IIRC they're ~$35 on their website.

Here's a photo of a newer/shorter handle I threaded (left), vs. an older/taller one I cut down and threaded (right):

For reference, the scope is a cheap Vortex Viper 6-20x50mm, 30mm tube with Warne Medium rings.

Learned something new, thanks! My two 527's are from earlier 2000's. And by your pictures I can see that yours are some different than mine. Mine, the base of the bolt is more blocky than thin like yours. It maybe doesn't matter, but I suppose if possible I could get a new bolt handle from CZ parts, or leave it alone? Calhoon was the name I couldn't remember and I thought he made new shorter height rings to match what was lost in the thickness of the handle.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 527 in 6.5 Grendel with a 3.5-10X Leupold mounted in Warne medium rings. No bolt handle clearance problems. The Burris medium (CZ factory height) and Leupold medium (a bit shorter than CZ rings) are both taller than the Warne mediums so either should work for your 2-7X Leupold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    Calhoon was the name I couldn't remember and I thought he made new shorter height rings to match what was lost in the thickness of the handle.
    You're right! Maybe it doesn't matter. If it does then there are variety of options to work around it.

It looks like Calhoun still offers modified factory handles on his website:

There was also a company called "Custom Reloading Tools" that made a replacement stainless handle too (~2012). The original website link re-directs to Whidden Gun Works now, but I don't see the handle on their site anywhere.

Glades Armory has recently offered a variety of handle options.