RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Made myself A 1893 Marlin 'Light Weight' rifle.

Super Moderator

Made myself A 1893 Marlin 'Light Weight' rifle.

..............I'd picked up a Marlin 1893 rifle chambered 30-30 but the barrel bore was beyond use (could have sleeved it I guess) but having another good used Marlin bbl on hand I decided to use the barrel. This barrel had come from Gun Parts Corp quite some time ago.

I'd also bought a stock for it and decided I'd drill the stock first, once I'd removed the original barrel.

In order to get the barrel to tighten up and 'Clock" to the action I had to make a spacer ring.

Barrel fitted (shim interference with mag tube cut out with a razor knife and the shortened magazine added to mark barrel for the hanger on the end.

To cut the new dovetail for the sight on TOP of the barrel, and for the magazine hanger stud on the BOTTOM of the barrel (and the barrel is tapered) I had to figure out some way to hold the round tapered barrel tight, but without marring the barrel with the vise jaws. To do so I parted off 4 pieces of .750" brass hex stock then cut each one with a 1/2" cut across each end, then turned them 45 degrees and did the same to the other end.

A couple pieces of 1/2" OD rod was cut to length to bear against the jaw faces. This allowed the jaws to be tighteend up very tight, yet with the pressure exactly perpendicular to the taper of the barrel. The top of the action was used as the level basis for a bubble level for cutting the barrel for the front sight and for the magazine hanger on the underside of the barrel. Continued below ............................................
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Super Moderator

Magazine and handguard installed. Some final alterations being performed to the front sight to make it look like it belonged there.

I used the Marlin type "S" butplate since it was apparently found on a number of Marlin rifles so I figured it would also work on 'My' concoction too.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 12-21-2020 at 02:54 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Super Moderator

I used the Marlin type "S" butplate since it was apparently found on a number of Marlin rifles so I figured it would also work on 'My' concoction too. Besides ............... I had it.

...................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 12-19-2020 at 01:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Niice, did it stay 30/30? I have one that is about to get sleeved, it will stay 38/55. Its good to see the smithing and not just the finished work.. Like the teacher said, "show your work!!"

Very nice, thank you for sharing.

Beautiful, you got skills
    Aim Small, Miss Small.

Boolit Buddy
    Well done sir!

sweet ! !

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I wish I lived closer, I could learn so much just quietly standing in the corner watching!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    Buckshot, You always do such nice work. Another beauty.

Boolit Master
    Very nice work. The rifle looks great. My Dad had a '93 Marlin in 30-30, (my younger brother has it now). It has an octagon barrel, and uses half of a 1905 Indian head nickle for a front sight. Buckshot, when you get a chance to take yours to the range let us know how it shoots.

Very nice !

So well done. The home made barrel jigs for dovetailing are genius.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Love seeing stuff like this and the talent.

Nice to take a beater and save it.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Dang you got talent. Always impressed with craftsmanship.

Boolit Mold
    Now I definitely want a mill. Great work. What did you torque the barrel to?

Boolit Grand Master
    I always enjoy looking at pictures of your work, Buckshot. This one is no exception.

Robert

Super Moderator

...............The barrel IS stamped 30-30 and 'Marlin'. I don't know what value the barrel was torqued to. However it was torqued pretty darned tight because I didn't think I was going to get it to successfully line up. This rifle was done several years back. It's not a copy of any Marlin rifle. Calling it a Lightweight Hunter was stolen from the Winchester light hunter offered with the 1886 action.

..............Buckshot

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Buckshot
    Thank you for all the fine photos and the write up ! Another rescued rifle that will be useful far into the future.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.