RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Down another rabbit hole: 1910 Model 94 carbine in .38-55

Boolit Buddy

Down another rabbit hole: 1910 Model 94 carbine in .38-55

I started to come here and got sidetracked into the military rifles forum on target vernier sights for Lee Enfields... anyways, that was the original rabbit hole I went down. Here's the new rabbit hole: developing some cast bullet loads for a circa 1910 Model 94 carbine in .38-55. I found Buffalo Bore offers loaded hunting ammunition for this caliber, but that's not what I intend to do.

A visit to a good friend and he pulled out his grandfather's Model 94 saddle ring carbine chambered in .38-55, a foreign to me chambering as well as a rifle that I have no experience with. The serial number indicates it was manufactured in 1910. Apparently his grandfather purchased it at his first stop in America, Massachusetts, before heading to Alaska to try his hand at the gold thing. He didn't get that far; settled in what was then the North West Territories and went back to what he knew from the old country: farming and livestock.

Don's earliest memories of the rifle was that it was his Dad's truck gun on the place, always behind the farm truck bench seat. For a farm gun, it looks to be in impressively good condition externally, other than the rear sight appears (according to web searches) to be the three leaf folding express sight, with both of the pivoting leaves broken off. So a suitable, hopefully period correct sight needs to be found to replace what's left - the top of the remaining solid leaf looks like it was chewed on by titanium mice with carbide teeth. Must have laid behind the seat with the rear sight resting on the jack or tire iron...

Anyways, Don is a good man I'd like to do a favor for, and he has a fine young son who is an enthusiastic hunter and who will someday own this rifle when Don and probably I are on the other side of the grass taking the long dirt nap. Getting this rifle sorted out for his kid to use for another 50 or so years after that is what I want to do. For his son to know or find old farts to figure this out may well be a lot harder 20 years from now.

I've done all the reading on the issues concerning proper dimensioned cases, so I think I've got that area sussed out and an order out to Starline. Not much I can do about slugging the bore, etc, as the rifle is about seven hours away. I'm going to ask him if there's a real gunsmith where he is who can properly slug and measure up the slug for him, but that may not happen. They will be powder coated, whatever they are.

Doing some searching here, it looks like more than a few guys are already seasoned with lever guns in .38-55.

So, for you veterans who have already walked this path, any particular cast bullets that stand out for this rifle used on deer/elk/moose, along with plinking for fun?

The son is now a helicopter mechanic and is often working up north, so the hunting scenario remains the same. Given my great past experiences with Accurate Molds, just browsing his website catalogue, I'm thinking of these two:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	273717 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	273718

Any thoughts on those two moulds, or commentary on reloading for a 1910 Model 94 in this caliber? I think the first one above looks like it might be just the ticket for a hunting bullet, the second a lighter bullet for if he feels the need to heavy up for plinking charging bull gophers in the dark grass.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t have a 38/55 but have a 375 Win, which it is often compared to. However, there are notable differences. Firstly the brass length and secondly the throating. Both of these aspects impact on what works best in either cartridge.

Look up the SAAMI specs for both cartridges and you will easily visualise what I’m saying.

The bullet on the left looks like it will work best in a 38/55. The bullet on the right looks like it’s designed for the 375 Win, which has a large throat. Having said that, a lot of the current designs by RCBS, Lyman and Saeco are 38/55 designs. The other point worth mentioning is the barrel dimensions. A lot of 38/55 barrels seem to work best with a larger diameter bullet (0.379-0.382”), if using smokeless powder. Before buying a mould you might like to slug your barrel and then buy a mould that is sized appropriately.

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    We have a couple early 1894 38-55 Winchesters. Your first step is to discover what the diameter cast you need Our 1896 model must have a .383+ diameter if smokeless powder is going to be used. 3F BP will bump up less diameter slugs. Other 38-55 s we have range from .380 to .382 again for smokeless loading. Never figure an older rifle is going to be a regular diameter.
    A 255 grain PB FN was the standard hunting weight as it could be used for anything. 1250 fps with a 26 inch barrel is a good average for old ammo. Northern Michigan 1900's hunter were very well armed with 38-55s whether they saw deer or bear. Still true today.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.