Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is buying up all the ammo????

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I don't think so. The ammo shortage was already happening BEFORE the latest surge in gun sales, so at best, those new gun owners would have been able to buy maybe 2 boxes of ammo, and that is ONLY if the gun store reserved enough ammo to be sold ONLY with the purchase of a firearm. ANYONE who is hoarding ammo right now could do so ONLY if they have an inside track direct to the manufacturer. ----- Maybe an actual employee of the manufacturer?
    I can't speak for Iowa, but there was plenty of Ammo available in January 2020. I was at two guns shows, nothing was selling in MN. The Poop starting hitting the fan in March, same time as the run on TP.

"In the early stages of the COVID-19 lockdowns, the media began reporting on a surge in firearms sales across the United States."
    https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the...ne-162059.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    What good is having a hoard of ammo or components if some LAW ABIDING CITIZEN makes the phone call and the swat team shows up after the first shot.
    I've got mine. At least until the time the sound of a fire arm brings the KGB.
    BILL

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Being in my mid 50’s I’m old enough to have seen this a few times but not at this level. On time manufacturing and delivery has lead folks into a false sense of security, I.e. Walmart is open 24 hours and they have EVERYTHING!

A few years back I ask SWMBO to stock enough non perishable items to last us 6 months. After the last TP shortage I ask her to add TP as well as a few other items onto her shopping list then purchase those items when on sale or when she had a couple dollars to spare. It hasn’t taken long to get our stash back to a comfortable level where we won’t worry about not having or being gouged by those who bought it all up in hopes of a profitable turnaround.

As far as unavailability of primers, powder, bullets? Do it yourself.
    ——> Making primer compound <——
    ——> Making Black Powder <—-

And you should know how to make boolits
    Solid advice! Do you have a concern about an "ammunition accountability act" restricting non FFL citizens to 1000 (or less) rounds? I remember this being in the forefront some years ago but I've heard nothing about it recently...

Boolit Grand Master

I believe this run on ammo and components was started by all those "peaceful protests" and the fear they inspired in people.The the election with all its issues. New gun sales are way up ammo is to the point that its being limited, reloading components are hard to find. With just the increased firearms sales and each person buying 100-200 rds for each new gun ( that number isnt far out of line) ammo was at a big premium. Few ammo companies use canister grade powders the handloader do but might in a bind. Most makers of primer also load ammo and as long as the ammo lines are running 24-7 at full tilt primers wont be available to reloaders, first priority is keeping the ammo lines running.

I can remember Dad telling that during ww2 they bought a 16 gauge shotgun at an auction not because they really wanted the gun but because 4 boxes of shells went with it, allowing them to continue to hunt. Ammo was impossible to find then also.

Boolit Master

Is the Remington Ammunition Plant still operating?

We know that due to bankruptcy that Remington was broken into pieces and sold off to a variety of other entities. This would include the Primer and Ammunition plant for Remington. Just wondering if the plant is operating at "Normal" levels after the Bankruptcy; or its it reduced or even off line with the Bankruptcy transfer. Read a couple of threads citing that some Wholesale/Retailers were no longer carrying Remington Primers which somewhat drives the question.

Just thinking that some of the "JIT" (rhymes with) supply could be attributed to a major Primer/Ammo manufacturer facility being transferred in owner ship.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I can't speak for Iowa, but there was plenty of Ammo available in January 2020. I was at two guns shows, nothing was selling in MN. The Poop starting hitting the fan in March, same time as the run on TP.

"In the early stages of the COVID-19 lockdowns, the media began reporting on a surge in firearms sales across the United States."
    https://www.recoilweb.com/why-is-the...ne-162059.html
    was plenty in Iowa in Jan.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Is the Remington Ammunition Plant still operating?

We know that due to bankruptcy that Remington was broken into pieces and sold off to a variety of other entities. This would include the Primer and Ammunition plant for Remington. Just wondering if the plant is operating at "Normal" levels after the Bankruptcy; or its it reduced or even off line with the Bankruptcy transfer. Read a couple of threads citing that some Wholesale/Retailers were no longer carrying Remington Primers which somewhat drives the question.

Just thinking that some of the "JIT" (rhymes with) supply could be attributed to a major Primer/Ammo manufacturer facility being transferred in owner ship.
    Did you watch the youtube video that Springfield linked to, in post #4 ?
    The Video is a new one, published yesterday. The CEO said Remington ammo is being made as we speak. He didn't say if the Remington Ammunition Plant still operating, but Remington Ammo is being made somewhere today.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I live on a island.
    According to the shops, they cannot get any ammo from their vendors.
    Powder and primers included.
    So who is buying everything up?????
    I know there are hoarders, but like TP, once you run out of room................
    Ammo takes up less space, but it's not like they are shooting it up, like using TP.
    I haven't changed my buying habits for years.
    Except for .22 ammo.
    Used to buy a case at a time, but when the shortage hit, we were limited to a brick a day.
    I would still only buy when I got short.
    Are people really shooting everything up?????
    who buys ammo in the first place?
    Personally I have not bought any ammo for 30 years
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Well, a lot of ammo is out there, and selling, but might not be at you usual spot or at your usual price. I know many people who had stockpiles thinning them out a bit and many shops are selling ammo on consignment, and the large retailers also selling but running out of inventory as soon as it goes to the shelves. A friend worked out the Acadamy schedule and has bought 3800 primers in the last 2 weeks @ $50/1000

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    who buys ammo in the first place?
    Personally I have not bought any ammo for 30 years
    We have a lots of "video game" and "magazine" new buyers here.
    They have no idea what their doing, but feel big shooting.
    Before the chinese virus, I would see them at the range with loads of ammo.
    Shoot it all and leave.
    Targets look like a shotgun pattern test.
    I too haven't bought ammo for a long time.
    Shops are selling firearms like crazy.
    But being a damacrat state, buyers cannot pick-up because cops closed the registration.
    Being on an island, you would think people would want protection in case something happens.
    Mind set here is gooberment is suppose to protect you.
    One day, they will find out different.
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 12-19-2020 at 03:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    7 million new gun owners this year. If each bought two boxes of ammo that is 700 million rounds.
    Thats where it is going.
    Moving back to Alaska

I heard, years ago, that a person working for Smith & Wesson said the average firearm is only fired 15 times.

We'll find a new 'normal' and components will be available again. I think its just a matter of time.

I don't think the prospects for the economy are good either. I predict we'll see a lot of cheap like new guns for sale next year.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    I stopped by a gun store about 1.5 hours away that I rarely get by, All calibers of ammo in stock, Pallet of wolf 223 sitting there. Gun racks full. Everything priced at gunbroker prices, They did have SPP primers, I had to ask price even thought i need none. $22 per 100

Boolit Bub

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    I stopped by a gun store about 1.5 hours away that I rarely get by, All calibers of ammo in stock, Pallet of wolf 223 sitting there. Gun racks full. Everything priced at gunbroker prices, They did have SPP primers, I had to ask price even thought i need none. $22 per 100
    No wonder he is well stocked. He will prolly carry that inventory clear into the time all other store shelves restock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The old smart guys are all sitting on stashes. And stashes of brass, lead, powder and primers as well.
    They can still shoot for 6 to 12 cents per round depending on variables such as gas checks, powder and primer price, load size.

If you can't shoot, the question I have to ask is " where was your head?"

Might want to recheck priorities.
    Well us young guys are just waiting for you old farts to keel over so we can buy your stash for pennies on the dollar at the estate sale.

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Ha! The really smart old guys plan on using it all before they go! That or they already have everything; ammo, guns, components, molds, and reloading equipment all earmarked for appreciative family and friends.

Boolit Master

Every time I've been to the range over the years, through thick and thin, there had always been good reloadable brass in the scrap bucket. It was hog heaven! Some of it had been Glocked, but mostly once fired happy happy joy joy! Not anymore. Not for months now. Rimfire brass only. Not complaining mind you, just sayin.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I had picked up a 7.62x39 complete upper from a guy through the local trader magazine for $350. Got to talking and of course supplies were brought up. He was complaining about not finding any ammo or reloading supplies as he and his friends (all in 60's) shoot 500 yds plus. He said he was putting another upper up and I was thinking about trading some small rifle primers. He commented best he saw was gunbroker going around $180 per 1,000. I am still not fully unpacked and went looking at my stash. Panick set in as I could not find them. Finally did and let's say I have a lifetime supply- I think. I am 60. Point of all this is when I thought about trading 2,000-3,000 small rifle primers I got "concerned ". I could find uppers in stock for more realistic prices than primers. I just couldn't believe the feeling of not quite panic, that I would not have enough primers to last me. Was kinda eye opening but I am not giving away my stash. That what getting older does to us?
    Nine years older. And, yup, we do worry more, mostly because we have seen more bad stuff. But, had the same feeling. A friend was fixing to experiment on a shot load for a pistol caliber, and asked me for an ounce or so of Bullseye powder. No biggee as I had about 3 ounces left in an old canister, and then I too had "the feeling of not quite panic" because at first I could not find any more canisters of Bullseye, and then I did; blessed relief!
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    A local FFL dealer (I work there) gets in a few small orders of ammo occasionally but puts them out of sight. With the sale of a firearm the buyer has the opportunity to buy one box of ammo. No other ammo goes over the counter. When the new gun owner complains that their semi-auto pistol does not cycle they learn most pistols usually require a 200 round break-in period before the owner can have confidence in it. Often I am tasked to clean and test fire the pistol. Some new pistols arrive at the store over-lubed, or completely void of lube, then there are the weak wristed shooters who have to learn how (and why) to grip the firearm. Many of these buyers are first-time owners but rarely are they instructed in this process and blame the firearm for their own failures.

This store has an inside range and generous quantities of once-fired brass are generated. This is a little used source for brass by most reloaders. The store sells this brass at very reasonable prices when asked yet brass sales lately have decreased. This suggests that the local reloaders already have their ammo and component assortments in order or cannot locate what they need, as in primers. Occasionally a customer will bring in ammo or reloading components from their deceased spouse's estate for disposal by the store. This can lead to firearm estates coming in for resale and first-refusal opportunities. Some estates are modest, some are breath-taking.

I have friends living 500 miles away who called to ask me to sell them reloaded ammo for their local friends. I declined the requests as I don't have the spare components to supply their needs when I have no prospects of being able to replace these components in the future, either soon or later. FWIW I don't reload for anyone but myself and my immediate family. All others are on their own.